Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Assistance needed with choosing replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 11:50 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,049 Likes on 2,562 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Our household owns the Premier A/S, and the Xice Xi3's.

No way would you want to use the Xice tires all year round. They are soft, noisy, and loud, for winter..
I'm currently running a set of Xi3's my experience is the opposite they are whisper quiet I wish there was an all season or summer that was this quiet. They do feel sloppy in warm weather due to the soft rubber compounds but I'm fine with that in winter conditions they are excellent. They also have a great ride again due to the soft rubber.

Old 01-20-19, 01:27 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I'm currently running a set of Xi3's my experience is the opposite they are whisper quiet I wish there was an all season or summer that was this quiet. They do feel sloppy in warm weather due to the soft rubber compounds but I'm fine with that in winter conditions they are excellent. They also have a great ride again due to the soft rubber.
This would have brought me back to concluding something is wrong with my car 2 yrs ago, but on my 3rd winter, I'm 100% certain my howling is from the tires, not the drivetrain...
Old 01-20-19, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This would have brought me back to concluding something is wrong with my car 2 yrs ago, but on my 3rd winter, I'm 100% certain my howling is from the tires, not the drivetrain...
One way to generally tell. Put the car on a lift, if possible, and run it. If you don't hear the howling (the spinning tires won't be in contact with anything), then you can probably be sure it's the tires. If you do hear the howling, then, yes, probably something in the drivetrain.
Old 01-20-19, 04:28 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 17 inch Michelin Primacy MXM4s on my 03 Accord Coupe commuter came with the car and were worn but still drove very well and were quiet. Great handling as well. Currently I've got Michelin X-Ice in the base 16 inch taller size and I'm very impressed with them. Quiet and decent handling considering these are dedicated winter rubber.

OTH the Pilot AS3s on my GS430 were very noisy on some surfaces, but they had fantastic handling grip. The Toyo Garrits which came with that car could also dish out some noisy harmonics on certain road surfaces. Part of the problem was the wide tire size on the GS in the optional 17 inch 235 width. Surprisingly my Lexus was noiser than my Accord.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
We have Michelin tires on all four of vehicles. I recently got Primacy tires on my Corolla after my husband got Pilots on his Matrix, to be honest, I am not as thrilled with the tires as I thought they would be. My fuel economy got slightly worse, not terribly worse but the onboard MPG display after never ever moving since 2014 actually changed about a month in with the new tires. That said, I recently have been driving my fathers Avalon around and it comes with Hankook Energi(??) and they feel outstanding.
There is an explanation for that and my thoughts led me to this article which illustrates how the deeper tread on a new tire has more rolling resistance. Conclusion of the article below.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=177

While many of these individual differences may seem insignificant, it is easy to understand that when they are added together, the new tires may appear to reduce vehicle fuel economy. It also means that a Toyota Prius appearing to get 50.0 mpg just before replacing its worn-out tires with new tires of the same brand, type and size, might be reduced to registering just 47.25 mpg afterwards, even if all of the driving conditions were identical.
Old 01-20-19, 05:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

are you sure the howling is not a wheel bearing?
Old 01-20-19, 05:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
are you sure the howling is not a wheel bearing?

Noise with a bad bearing will usually get worse (or more audible) with a side-force...such as in a turn or sudden lane-change. That's usually not the case with simple worn tires.
Old 01-21-19, 05:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One way to generally tell. Put the car on a lift, if possible, and run it. If you don't hear the howling (the spinning tires won't be in contact with anything), then you can probably be sure it's the tires. If you do hear the howling, then, yes, probably something in the drivetrain.
My history....I got the LS430 in Oct. 2016, and I actually bought the xice xi3's and picked them up at the distribution center prior to getting the car (mounted on MSW rims). So I had the snows on within 2 weeks of getting the car. My wife said what is that sound? I was thinking here we go.....google revealed carrier bearing etc. issues on Tundras. So I got myself all worked up and convinced myself I needed a new rear diff lol

Put the all seasons back on April 2017, no more sound. One can actually hear different sounds with any car, as it goes onto different types of pavement, any tire. My BMW has German made Ultragrips and they are not noisy like the xi3s. If I had a second chance, I would likely go mainstream and simply get Blizzaks--never owned a set before, was a Hakkapeliitta man prior, 3 sets. Even had the original 1's with studs (not eco, real ones).

edit p.s. my cousin had a howl on the CR-V (2006 EX). I said why not run it by the Japanese indie he'll tell what's what. They did just what you said, put it on the lift and let it go at low speed. Concluded it's the transmission--recommended action, NONE. This can break on your way home, it can break 5 years from now. Our guess is the latter. Unless you are ready to spend a couple thousand, then drive it as is, I would.

Flash forward, it still howls, and it's been like 2 years and the car is now up to 280k. I love indies, zero upsell, zero unneeded repairs. Japanese or German. At times I worry if they will survive. If not, we're in trouble lol

Last edited by Johnhav430; 01-21-19 at 05:49 AM.