Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Assistance needed with choosing replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 07:36 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Assistance needed with choosing replacement tires

Hello all, I need some assistance with picking out a new set of replacement tires for my mom's 2007 Prius.

The problem is, I just can't seem to decided from the selections below. It's like there's equal amounts of good and bad reviews which has me all confused and tied up in knots.

We do get snow here in the mid-Atlantic region, but i'm not sure we need X series tires for all year driving???

I plan on buying them from Costco and these are their offerings:
Michelin - Premier A/S ($106.49/ea)
Michelin - Defender T + H ($93.49/ea)
Michelin - X Tour A/S T + H ($89.49/ea)
Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 ($85.49/ea)
BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A Sport ($71.99/ea)

Who has experience(s) with any of the above tires?

Additional information - We plan on buying the 2019 Rav4, but later down in the year like Fall, when allot of the hype has settled down on this model release. We will then use the Prius as an additional family vehicle.
Old 01-17-19, 09:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Our household owns the Premier A/S, and the Xice Xi3's.

No way would you want to use the Xice tires all year round. They are soft, noisy, and loud, for winter.

Since the Premier A/S are our first set, I am not sure about them. They start at 8.5/32 and now that they are with 31k miles, they are at 4/32 per the shop that aligned the wheels last weekend. The dealer recommended replacement last summer (sad). Everytime a shop sees them the recommend replacement soon on the multipoint inspections. Michelin claims they are good when worn. We have no choice as we can't toss these tires at 31k. My hunch is that they will reach the wear indicators at 50-60k, and this is a way for Michelin to get a customer into another set, through a pro-rata of the warranty. At least we got them at Costco. You've listed 3 other tires so maybe someone else can comment on them.

Base on the price, I'd go with the Goodrichs or the next ones up (Tour not Xice).
Old 01-17-19, 09:08 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I've had Premiers on just about all of my vehicles except my IS. My RX and Yukon have them (LTX version of the Premier) and my old Camry had them. I haven't had any problems with them personally, except on my Yukon which was due to it being out of alignment. I swapped the garbage stock Bridgestones around a few thousand miles after buying the Yukon new and put the Michelins on. Surprised how badly the car was out of alignment since it really wore down the Premiers in places while the Bridgestones were fine, so I'm still a bit pissed about that but I'll live with them until I actually need to replace them which will probably be earlier than it should be now. Otherwise, I would recommend them for their ride quality alone, great wet grip (which improves as the tires wear as the channels open up to allow more water to go out), and snow performance is pretty good too.

XIce is for winter, mainly for areas that receive snow/ice fairly often. You do NOT want to be using dedicated winter tires when the temperature is above, I believe, 44 F. They get extremely soft and squishy causing performance and wear issues.

Last edited by Zmon; 01-17-19 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-17-19, 09:54 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm deciding between a couple of the tires on your list: Michelin - Defender T + H ($93.49/ea)
Michelin - X Tour A/S T + H ($89.49/ea) for a 2003 Subaru Impreza Outback that i will use as a commuter. I'm guessing you're trying to take advantage of the current Costco Michelin Sale?
If so, from what I've read that the Defender and X Tour are the exact same tire, "X" is to indicate its a Costco/Warehouse manufactured product and this makes it impossible for places such as Discount tire to try and price match.
Old 01-17-19, 10:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

why don't you look up reviews/tests on TIRERACK and/or DISCOUNT TIRE?
Old 01-17-19, 11:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

For your mom and the Prius, I'd choose the Michelin Defenders.

XIce is a winter only tire as others have said.
Old 01-17-19, 01:10 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bagwell
why don't you look up reviews/tests on TIRERACK and/or DISCOUNT TIRE?
I did. I did start off by reading reviews at the above sites and got more confused that I could not think clearly about making this 'simple' decision. Guess I got stuck in over-thinking mode.

That's when the idea of asking the forum members who may have similar experience(s) with these tires came to me and here we are. Thanks.
Old 01-17-19, 02:53 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Well, thank you everyone for helping, I can see clearly now, the fog of confusion is gone.

I am leaning towards the Defender T + H.
Old 01-18-19, 01:18 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

We've had the Premiers on my wife's Civic for at least 2 years now. They're fine for Calgary's milder winters, and they rode great during our road trips. A great all-season tire IMO. Can't say anything about the other tires as I don't have experience with them, but if I had to buy another set and was choosing between the Premiers and a set that was $50 cheaper, I'd probably go with the Premiers again.
Old 01-18-19, 08:40 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX469
Well, thank you everyone for helping, I can see clearly now, the fog of confusion is gone.

I am leaning towards the Defender T + H.
as I said in my earlier post, I was comparing the same tires. I went ahead and ordered the Defender T+H for my Subaru Impreza.
Old 01-20-19, 09:22 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Originally Posted by msgs350

as I said in my earlier post, I was comparing the same tires. I went ahead and ordered the Defender T+H for my Subaru Impreza.
Have you had then installed yet? If so, what's are they like thus far??
Old 01-20-19, 09:30 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Have you had then installed yet? If so, what's are they like thus far??
sorry, I probably won’t install them for a couple more weeks.
Old 01-20-19, 09:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hello all, I need some assistance with picking out a new set of replacement tires for my mom's 2007 Prius.

The problem is, I just can't seem to decided from the selections below. It's like there's equal amounts of good and bad reviews which has me all confused and tied up in knots.

We do get snow here in the mid-Atlantic region, but i'm not sure we need X series tires for all year driving???

I plan on buying them from Costco and these are their offerings:
Michelin - Premier A/S ($106.49/ea)
Michelin - Defender T + H ($93.49/ea)
Michelin - X Tour A/S T + H ($89.49/ea)
Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 ($85.49/ea)
BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A Sport ($71.99/ea)

Who has experience(s) with any of the above tires?

Additional information - We plan on buying the 2019 Rav4, but later down in the year like Fall, when allot of the hype has settled down on this model release. We will then use the Prius as an additional family vehicle.
We have Michelin tires on all four of vehicles. I recently got Primacy tires on my Corolla after my husband got Pilots on his Matrix, to be honest, I am not as thrilled with the tires as I thought they would be. My fuel economy got slightly worse, not terribly worse but the onboard MPG display after never ever moving since 2014 actually changed about a month in with the new tires. That said, I recently have been driving my fathers Avalon around and it comes with Hankook Energi(??) and they feel outstanding.
Old 01-20-19, 09:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350

sorry, I probably won’t install them for a couple more weeks.
This is likely a dumb question given where you live, but do you belong to Costco? If you are like us, shoot over to OR, get them installed, now you've pretty much got internet pricing, and you also have the road hazard nitrogen rotation stuff all included. That is when they do that $150 off when you use the Costco credit card promo. You could even beat internet with the no tax no shipping. we can hit the DE distribution center for online, so no tax and no shipping, and Costco doesn't have that advantage for us, but we still have done it there....
Old 01-20-19, 10:58 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
This is likely a dumb question given where you live, but do you belong to Costco? If you are like us, shoot over to OR, get them installed, now you've pretty much got internet pricing, and you also have the road hazard nitrogen rotation stuff all included. That is when they do that $150 off when you use the Costco credit card promo. You could even beat internet with the no tax no shipping. we can hit the DE distribution center for online, so no tax and no shipping, and Costco doesn't have that advantage for us, but we still have done it there....
Not a dumb question at all. I live in the Seattle, WA area and am a Costco member. I was going to buy from Costco but Discount Tire matches pricing. As much as I like Costco, I prefer tire and warranty services from DT instead of Costco. I’ve never considered driving down to Oregon to save on taxes because it wouldn’t be worth the savings.
Also wanted to add that DT had these in stock and ready to install but I won’t have time to bring the Subaru down there for a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: Assistance needed with choosing replacement tires