ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/908234-new-study-reveals-which-cars-likely-to-be-kept-15-years-or-longer.html)

Toys4RJill 01-20-19 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10414897)

But... back to saving money by driving old cars... :D

I am not against spending money and getting new cars however I much prefer the ownership experience. Long term ownership is also an enjoyable experience, especially when you have the vehicle from new.

SW17LS 01-20-19 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10414897)
arge for the overage, and it isn’t even a lot any longer, so for many, an unlimited plan is a waste of money based on their actual usage, but it makes them feel good, knowing there won’t be any bill surprises. :thumbup:

I could actually switch to "unlimited data" with Verizon and my bill would go down $5 a month, but I haven't. I don't because the "unlimited plan" limits the quality of streaming video to DVD quality, and it throttles the speed after a certain point. Perfectly happy with my 25 GB plan that I never use the total amount of data included, and doesn't have such limitations.

bitkahuna 01-21-19 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10414931)
I could actually switch to "unlimited data" with Verizon and my bill would go down $5 a month, but I haven't. I don't because the "unlimited plan" limits the quality of streaming video to DVD quality, and it throttles the speed after a certain point. Perfectly happy with my 25 GB plan that I never use the total amount of data included, and doesn't have such limitations.

that's exactly why i don't switch. there's no free lunch.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10414918)
Long term ownership is also an enjoyable experience, especially when you have the vehicle from new.

​​i certainly like having a vehicle from new, but several years in i'm itching to get something else. tech improves, safety improves, build techniques / materials improve, efficiency improves, styles change (not always for the better, but usually... i think old cars look, old).
​​​​​

Johnhav430 01-21-19 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10414931)

They have 3 unlimited plans and they can be selected per line. The first is simply slower at any time ($55/mo.). The next is beyond unlimited at $65, slows after 22 gb. The last is above unlimited which slows at 75 gb ($75/mo.). How any line could do that much would be beyond me, my wife and mom and myself do 3 gb/ mo lol and Verizon is recommending we actually go down from 8 gb to the medium plan. They're not all evil and I did take them up on the $249.99 iPhone Xs before Thanksgiving. But I like my Galaxy better.

In the old days we were used to paying $60/mo. or so per line, so the middle and upper plans really are back to the way it was, with the exception of subsidizing the phones. I dunno about you but my stipend went from $130/mo. to $65, which b*****.

Johnhav430 01-21-19 10:39 AM

copy paste

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...8e542ba796.jpg

bitkahuna 01-21-19 10:45 AM

ok, my bad too... but back to old cars. :p

Johnhav430 01-21-19 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10415619)
that's exactly why i don't switch. there's no free lunch.

​​i certainly like having a vehicle from new, but several years in i'm itching to get something else. tech improves, safety improves, build techniques / materials improve, efficiency improves, styles change (not always for the better, but usually... i think old cars look, old).
​​​​​

I actually think the build/materials is going the other way. Blatant would be a M3 losing it's carbon fiber driveshaft, I don't even care to know how they spun that one.

An Audi S, S! SQ5 having blanks for the exhaust made to look like exhaust. They aren't even there, they're pieces of plastic. If they ever do that on a RS forget it, done.

Pretty sure I saw steel control arms on a brand new Allroad, and Q5. The old cars may look old to you, but the materials and build were actually more expensive.

Johnhav430 01-21-19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10414918)

I am not against spending money and getting new cars however I much prefer the ownership experience. Long term ownership is also an enjoyable experience, especially when you have the vehicle from new.

I like to use this example--at least in the states, everyone puts $730/paycheck towards a 401k, so double that per month. If they were to elect to not do that, and take that money and lease a car instead, not buy, lease, a car? It's not enough for a Porsche 911. Which is what sets that entire lifestyle apart imho. I too prefer to own.

SW17LS 01-21-19 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10415835)
I actually think the build/materials is going the other way. Blatant would be a M3 losing it's carbon fiber driveshaft, I don't even care to know how they spun that one.

An Audi S, S! SQ5 having blanks for the exhaust made to look like exhaust. They aren't even there, they're pieces of plastic. If they ever do that on a RS forget it, done.

Pretty sure I saw steel control arms on a brand new Allroad, and Q5. The old cars may look old to you, but the materials and build were actually more expensive.

They were going the other way for a while back in the 2008-2013 area, but nowadays they're improving in build and materials

bitkahuna 01-21-19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10415835)

you can cherry pick details, and priorities change, but you can't tell me new cars aren't safer, more reliable, more efficient, more luxurious, more feature rich, more almost everything...

bitkahuna 01-21-19 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 (Post 10415838)
I like to use this example--at least in the states, everyone puts $730/paycheck towards a 401k, so double that per month. If they were to elect to not do that, and take that money and lease a car instead, not buy, lease, a car? It's not enough for a Porsche 911. Which is what sets that entire lifestyle apart imho. I too prefer to own.

enough virtue signalling, has nothing to do with this thread.

Johnhav430 01-21-19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by SW17LS (Post 10415896)
They were going the other way for a while back in the 2008-2013 area, but nowadays they're improving in build and materials

Could be, I honestly couldn't find anything wrong with the '19 Impala I mean overall the fit/finish was pretty good. Would be interesting to drive the new 3 series, that might also fit the bill. Even the 4 cyl. with zsp gets 13.7" rotors and 4 piston calipers--that is a perfect place to cheap out (like someone pointed out with the 300S riding on 20" rims)...

SW17LS 01-21-19 01:30 PM

Build and materials on newer BMWs is way improved...

Diesel350 01-23-19 11:21 AM

Highlander here and plan on keeping it until it dies. Have only had a few minor issues that I need to fix under warranty.

Byprodrive 01-23-19 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by LexBob2 (Post 10404967)
LOL. Yeah it's hard to imagine, but the PT Cruiser was a phenomenon when it came out although it didn't last too long. Based on the forgettable Neon it wasn't a very good vehicle but the styling and versatility caught the attention of lot of (older) people.

PT Cruiser was indeed a hit for a couple years, while I was test driving a few of them people would ask me to stop so they could look at it since their dealer had none on their lots.