ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/908234-new-study-reveals-which-cars-likely-to-be-kept-15-years-or-longer.html)

Toys4RJill 01-05-19 07:27 AM

New study reveals which cars likely to be kept 15 years or longer

No American cars on the list. That's no surprise.

https://driving.ca/toyota/auto-news/...ears-or-longer

Just one hybrid made the list—the Prius.
  1. Toyota Highlander
  2. Toyota Prius
  3. Toyota Sienna
  4. Honda Pilot
  5. Toyota Tundra
  6. Toyota Sequoia
  7. Toyota Tacoma
  8. Honda Odyssey
  9. Honda CR-V
  10. Subaru Forester
  11. Toyota RAV4
  12. Toyota Camry
  13. Acura MDX
  14. Toyota 4Runner
  15. Toyota Avalon

all of this is probably just bogus. But probably some truths in it

bitkahuna 01-05-19 07:30 AM

I think it says as much about the buyers as is does the vehicles.

Toys4RJill 01-05-19 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10401074)

And that is?

EZZ 01-05-19 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And that is?

Some people want the cars to last forever so they buy the most reliable makes. Others want a car for 5-7 years so they buy anything that has a warranty that long. I like Toyota products but would never keep a car longer than 7 years.

JDR76 01-05-19 08:28 AM

We have a Highlander and it’s actually the first car we’ve ever had that we plan to keep indefinitely. We always lease, but ended up buying it out of the lease.

Toys4RJill 01-05-19 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by EZZ (Post 10401092)
Some people want the cars to last forever so they buy the most reliable makes. Others want a car for 5-7 years so they buy anything that has a warranty that long. I like Toyota products but would never keep a car longer than 7 years.

So Bit suggests that it is the buyer. Not the vehicle. It clearly is buyer as well as product related.

plex 01-05-19 09:34 AM

That list isn't surprising I spend a lot of time in CA for work and those are the cars I see on the road the most from all generations that and tons of Tesla's of course :D

mmarshall 01-05-19 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10401074)

I'm sure, in many cases, the vehicle-longevity is also a factor. Toyota, though not the best in interior plushness or trim, does produce virtually bulletproof drivetrains (yes, the same drivetrains that many in the forum complain are out of date). What probably surprised me the most is why the Toyota Land Cruiser is not at the absolute top of the list...it is not on the list at all, yet I see routinely versions from the 70s and 80s still running around. They are built like tanks. And what surprised me almost as much is why the 4Runner is not also further upon the list (it is in #14). I'd also rate it at or near the top...I know people that drive them 200K, even 300K miles.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
No American cars on the list. That's no surprise.

Though they don't have a reputation for reliability, I see a LOT of old Jeep Wrangler and CJ models still running around, often with much larger, oversize wheels/tires.

bitkahuna 01-05-19 10:01 AM

Also in the article...

The study also looked at the most popular SUVs to keep around for 15 or more years and found that, similarly, it was the Japanese brands that tended to stand the test of time, though a few other nations were represented—the Kia Sorento, GMC Yukon XL and Chevrolet Suburban rounded out the list in 9th, 10th and 12th respectively.

bitkahuna 01-05-19 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill (Post 10401082)
And that is?

Could be buyers of those vehicles tend to like change less, are more financially conservative, and value reliability above all. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :p

Toys4RJill 01-05-19 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by bitkahuna (Post 10401191)

Could be buyers of those vehicles tend to like change less, are more financially conservative, and value reliability above all. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. :p

Fair point. So if that is the case, then there should be some non Toyota or Honda models. Looks like Toyota and Honda have a slightly different buyer than that other brands.

riredale 01-05-19 01:15 PM

Who on earth is "IseeCars.com," the folks who did this list? Probably credible, but I think I'd trust something coming out of Edmunds or Consumer Reports more.

Reliability truly has markedly improved over the past few decades. Wife continues to drive a 2001 Lincoln LS. Still an attractive car, nice interior, great handling (chassis is Jag XJS). We are going to swap it for a ~2012 RX hybrid when the Lincoln breaks in a significant way, but the darn thing just keeps running. Oil changes every 6 months and tires three years ago and for the past five years that's been it. And this is a Ford product! Toyotas are statistically even more reliable.

I suspect the only rationale for buying a new-ish car these days is for the electronic tweaks (Bluetooth, cameras, TPMS, smart cruise control) than because of mechanical reliability considerations.

theory816 01-05-19 02:44 PM

My rx400h is still going strong. Would buy another one if it has less than 30k miles.

AnthonyMJ 01-05-19 05:39 PM

I kept my 2001 GS300 for 18 years and 195,000+ miles.

corradoMR2 01-05-19 06:07 PM

I don't see this as a buyer-type article, but instead one that reflects which vehicles that last a long time. No surprises here. Toyotas are reliable mechanically and electrically for many years beyond their warranty. Who the owners are of these cars is another bigger discussion altogether.