Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First step away from ICE - picked up a Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 05:00 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Probably a nice car, don't know, we are months away to see them on the road. Whatever, the only car that could interest me away from ICE would be this one :

... and only if Honda manages to get this initial design right to the stores. A Toyota Supra-ish readaptation of those line will not do it for me.
Old 01-02-19, 04:36 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the Model 3. Whatever makes the wife happy, right?

Personally - I wouldn't get a Tesla Model 3 because I will never like the interior... I just can't like the interior at all - especially since the car cost so much with options. However - I do think EV is the future. The only way I will get my oil *** out of a ICE car is when the Audi E-Tron GT comes out.
Old 01-02-19, 08:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Same boat here. If it were my car, I could try to justify the extra expense, but my wife doesn't need the extra power
in my case it is my daily. 50 miles a day and with traffic power isn't really my priority

Found the first thing I don't like about the car. Doors/trunk really need to be slammed to close properly. More annoying is that because of the way that the door handles work, there will almost always be a handprint in that general door handle area. Some more gratuitous photos after I got it back from the detailer Wrapped the car in STEK film.
yes, same here. but after a week or so i got used to it and not a problem anymore. still, the doors don't have the solid feel of mb or bmw and it does take more force to close

thought about doing ceramic (mainly so car wash is easier for me) but after couple weeks of driving? meh i think i gave up.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Congrats to you too Henry !! Which color did you get ?
GS is gone I assume ?
thanks! haha i got black. i refuse to pay the extra for those colors which i think are nothing special.

yup the gs was a lease and it's coming up in feb, so i cut it short and traded it in. previous two gs were both just daily for me so can't say i had much connections with them haha

Originally Posted by TripleL
Nice! Looking good Allen.

PS Congrats Henry too!
thanks man!
Old 01-03-19, 06:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

here's another model 3 buying experience...

Old 01-03-19, 08:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

The wife's CX-5 was getting up there in years so we started shopping around. Her only criteria were electric or hybrid, only marginally bigger (or smaller) than her CX-5, and blue. NXh is old, RX/MDX/Highlander hybrids were too big, and RAV4 hybrid isn't available yet. Our decision making process was also sped up because Tesla's tax rebate is getting cut in half at the end of this year.

congrats and enjoy your car!
Old 01-03-19, 11:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Tesla definitely the ‘cool kids’ car right now.
Old 01-03-19, 01:50 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Tesla definitely the ‘cool kids’ car right now.
Very strong brand recognition plus when you think of an electric Tesla is about the only car that comes to mind. Also Tesla spends $0.00 on advertising.

Old 01-03-19, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Also Tesla spends $0.00 on advertising.
That's because they're spending so much on the company-owned dealerships that would, with most automakers, be run by private franchises.
Old 01-03-19, 03:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because they're spending so much on the company-owned dealerships that would, with most automakers, be run by private franchises.
there's so much fail in that explanation
Old 01-03-19, 03:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there's so much fail in that explanation

No...with all due respect, your statement is incorrect. While I could have phrased my statement better, and it obviously does not explain all of the reasons Tesla does not spend money on advertising (in fact, there are many), it is a fact that Tesla does spend a lot on dealer facilities that are normally run by private-franchise money. That's not me, or my fail......that is simply the way they operate.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 03:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Tesla doesn't advertise because they don't need to.
Old 01-03-19, 03:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

No...with all due respect, your statement is incorrect. While I could have phrased my statement better, and it obviously does not explain all of the reasons Tesla does not spend money on advertising (in fact, there are many), it is a fact that Tesla does spend a lot on dealer facilities that are normally run by private-franchise money. That's not me, or my fail......that is simply the way they operate.
if you had phrased it better and added more reasons, it might not have been as much of a fail, but you didn't, so it was. plus you were definitive, stating only one reason as to why they can't afford to spend on advertising. but even with more reasons though, you'd be completely wrong because tesla doesn't need to spend money on advertising. this article explains it:
https://adage.com/article/cmo-strate...tising/310008/

there's no need to advertise if demand so far outstrips your ability to supply... now that they've caught up a lot with the '3', they'll likely do something, but i'd expect it to continue to be unconventional, like youtube videos, social media, not wasteful tv and print ads.

also about dealer franchises - they can only do what they do through profits of selling cars, not out of the goodness of their heart, and that profit is revenue traditional car makers don't get, so because tesla gets the WHOLE PIE when selling instead of a piece of it, they can afford to make their own showrooms, but the economic models are different beyond that, with tesla investing in a charging network which customers pay to use, a model traditional car makers simply don't have... so there's so many differences.

Old 01-05-19, 10:54 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
Probably a nice car, don't know, we are months away to see them on the road. Whatever, the only car that could interest me away from ICE would be this one :

... and only if Honda manages to get this initial design right to the stores. A Toyota Supra-ish readaptation of those line will not do it for me.
^^ I LOVE the driver-centric Honda EV Sport concept. I so wish the coupe version would be put into production as-is. Seems like Honda could if they wanted to.
Old 01-06-19, 08:10 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. They are almost synonymous with electric cars right now regardless of all the other offerings. The internet itself is all the exposure and word of mouth they need.

One observation about the current Model 3 situation is the oddity that that inventory is piling up but they still can't build the $35K model that the masses are waiting for. Yes, it's because Tesla would actually lose money on these, but how long can they go along just building these overpriced ones. The idea that you can spend $80K on a compact-midsize sedan is nuts, although most are around $50-60K. I do find the 3 compelling but not for more than $35K.
Old 01-06-19, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

He's right. The fail is your totally unsubstantiated claim that Tesla does not spend money to advertise because they don't have franchise dealerships. You have ZERO reason to make a statement like that, you have no knowledge of Tesla's finances, operating profit, etc. You talk like you do, but you don't.

Tesla doesn't advertise because they don't have to. Anybody who might purchase a Tesla knows what Tesla is and their selling proposition to that consumer is so strong, they don't need advertising to reach that consumer. The proof is in the sales numbers, they sell all the Teslas they can make.

As for the statement that Tesla has LESS money available because they don't have a franchise dealer chain makes no sense whatsoever. Having another person in the chain of profit reduces profit for the end recipient, doesn't increase profit. The car gets sold to the consumer in the end, logically if there's no dealer and franchisee to take a portion of the profit from the sale of that car, the manufacturer makes more profit. Yes there are costs Tesla has in selling the car that would be absorbed by a franchisee, but if those costs were higher than the profit available, nobody would buy car dealership franchises in the first place.

Quick Reply: First step away from ICE - picked up a Model 3