Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First step away from ICE - picked up a Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-18, 12:47 PM
dknn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Tesla family. I received a random text from a sales adviser Friday afternoon asking me if I was interested in another Tesla and the tax credit expired on the 31st. My friend and I toyed with the idea of getting the Model X. We both currently have the Model S.

We asked her to send what was available and she sent us an email with a couple of MXs. Saturday, we put the deposit and took delivery Sunday. This all started from a random text. Funny how things happen. At my location, they delivered 25 cars. I can only imagine how busy it will be today.

Last edited by dknn; 12-31-18 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-31-18, 01:36 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Nice choice. It seems everyone on my street is now buying this car. I heard there are no $35k versions anywhere. $60k seems overpriced to me, but I probably don't get the whole thing due to my own ignorance.
Enjoy!
P.S. Just about every Model 3 driver I've seen drives like a jerk. 20 mph faster than the flow, cutting in and out, cutting people off, etc. Please don't be one of those. Thanks.
$35K versions aren't available yet so they're doing the mid range and long range at the moment. It's priced competitively to a 3 series or IS given the 0-60 times. I would agree that the interior isn't as plush compared to the traditional lux makers

This is my wife's car and she's plenty happy camping out in the slow lane, +5 to the speed limit with autopilot doing most of the work

Originally Posted by RXSF
Congrats! I was seriously considering ordering one a few days ago because of the tax rebate too! Anyway, there is no leather in the car, except for the steering wheel, the seating surface is imitation.
Good to know and probably caters to the audience a bit as well

Originally Posted by riredale
Congrats on the new car. Probably not in my future based on my own wants but I hope you guys have a lot of fun with it over the next few years.

Could you elaborate on the range and charge level? I assume that Tesla advises a less-than-full charge in order to maximize longevity. Do they get specific, or just say, "Don't top it off and it'll last longer"? Do they also advise on recharging before reaching a low charge?

Also, and this is a dumb question, but if the regen is aggressive does that mean the brake lights come on when you lift your foot off the gas? (er, accelerator?)
There is a 'daily range' and a 'trip range; that you can set on the app. The default is 90% daily, but we bumped it down to 80% and get about 250 miles per charge which is more than enough. General advice is not to run it down to 0 as well. My wife's daily commute is about 40 miles and she'll top off each night.

And yes, the brake lights come on when the regen kicks on depending on how much the car is slowing down

Originally Posted by dknn
Welcome to the Tesla family. I received a random text from a sales adviser Friday afternoon asking me if I was interested in another Tesla and the tax credit expired on the 31st. My friend and I toyed with the idea of getting the Model X. We both currently have the Model S.

We asked her to send what was available and she sent us an email with a couple of MXs. Saturday, we put the deposit and took delivery Sunday. This all started from a random text. Funny how things happen. At my location, they delivered 25 cars. I can only imagine how busy it will be today.
Thanks and definitely agree about them being swamped.I was talking to my delivery guy on Friday and later that day and Saturday were going to be a madhouse. No car sales in NJ on Sundays so I wouldn't expect it to be pretty.

How do you like your S? I'm playing around with the idea of leasing a 100D
Old 12-31-18, 01:55 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats on the Model 3! You mention you wish for the option of LED headlights... you mean you wish you didn't have LED headlights on your 3? Because I believe headlights and tail lights are full LED.
Old 12-31-18, 04:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I'm playing around with the idea of leasing a 100D
I didn’t think leasing was an option on Teslas?
Old 12-31-18, 04:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by yardie876
Congrats on the Model 3! You mention you wish for the option of LED headlights... you mean you wish you didn't have LED headlights on your 3? Because I believe headlights and tail lights are full LED.
You're right! Brain fart on my end. Thanks for the correction
Old 12-31-18, 05:22 PM
dknn
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my S, I also have a 2013 GS350 Sport and prefer the Model S much more than the Lexus. I find the quality of the material to be the same. The earlier Model S were pretty spartan but the later ones are fine. I never had any issues with my Model S. The Model X would be my 4th electric vehicle.

Once you go electric, it is hard to go back to an ICE. You might find yourself walking away from your ICE car without turning it off once you get used to the Tesla. Plus the infotainment system of Lexus is horrible and outdated.

I haven't driven a 3 but have sat in . If I didn't get the X, I would be real tempted with the P3
Old 12-31-18, 05:48 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
that's what I thought as well - I thought maybe OP wanted an HID option.
Old 01-01-19, 08:15 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on your new 3 Allen! Happy wife, happy Life!!
Old 01-01-19, 04:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Nice! Performance? They've released all inventory so folks can collect before the credit gets cut. I ordered in store on Wednesday and drove off Friday
nop, just long range awd. performance isn't worth the extra to me even though they basically throw in all the 5k worth of bells and whistles for "free". i just need this car to go from point A to point B every day for work and long range is good enough (mid range not enough).

ended up acceleration is pretty decent and i am happy about it. goods and bads with the car, no complaint and i think it's just a change

and yes, the tax credit is a huge factor otherwise i don't see myself getting this at all.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I didn’t think leasing was an option on Teslas?
only on model 3. model S and X a lot of people lease
Old 01-01-19, 07:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-01-19, 09:09 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
nop, just long range awd. performance isn't worth the extra to me even though they basically throw in all the 5k worth of bells and whistles for "free". i just need this car to go from point A to point B every day for work and long range is good enough (mid range not enough).

ended up acceleration is pretty decent and i am happy about it. goods and bads with the car, no complaint and i think it's just a change

and yes, the tax credit is a huge factor otherwise i don't see myself getting this at all.

only on model 3. model S and X a lot of people lease
Same boat here. If it were my car, I could try to justify the extra expense, but my wife doesn't need the extra power
Old 01-01-19, 09:23 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Found the first thing I don't like about the car. Doors/trunk really need to be slammed to close properly. More annoying is that because of the way that the door handles work, there will almost always be a handprint in that general door handle area. Some more gratuitous photos after I got it back from the detailer Wrapped the car in STEK film.

Old 01-01-19, 10:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats & a very nice car !! Good paint choice too as I have seen one in person

As for me, I think I will wait a few more years before making that first step

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-01-19 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 10:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
congrats. just got a model 3 as well and so far positive about the as well.

demand? demand on the 35k car might be big, but right now even with the midrange the demand on model 3 is very low. tesla has tons of inventory. when i ordered mine it took a week to arrive, and my friend ordered it last week and got it within a week.
Congrats to you too Henry !! Which color did you get ?
GS is gone I assume ?
Old 01-02-19, 04:03 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice! Looking good Allen.

PS Congrats Henry too!

Quick Reply: First step away from ICE - picked up a Model 3