Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus planning Limitless-based super SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 03:03 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Lexus planning Limitless-based super SUV?

The rumor is that power would come from a 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8, along with a pair of electric motors to push output to 661 hp. For those keeping score, that's more than the Lamborghini Urus... So what do you think? Is this just a rumor? Or could you see Lexus actually doing this?

Old 12-07-18, 04:32 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m all for it. But please change that mantis mouth of a grill. The grill is a joke!
Old 12-07-18, 06:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Do a sexy 2 door coupe or sports car if you want to make something really high performance. Don't do it with some dumpy, clunky, pointless, ponderous SUV.
Old 12-07-18, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Do a sexy 2 door coupe or sports car if you want to make something really high performance. Don't do it with some dumpy, clunky, pointless, ponderous SUV.

......not sure if those folks driving the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT or Alfa Romeo Stelvio would agree.
Old 12-07-18, 06:37 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

I want to see the F-Sport version

PLEASE build a Urus-beater, Lexus!!
Old 12-07-18, 07:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

This vehicle is why I think they went the way they did with the new LS500. This will become the new flagship people hauler.
Old 12-07-18, 07:09 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres

PLEASE build a Urus-beater, Lexus!!
I honestly cannot remember a single time Lexus made a "beater" ANYTHING. Ever.

Seems like all their cars are just playing safe and not a single one is the best in class at anything, especially performance.

They are arguably the best on average, scoring high consistently across the board, but never the best in any one category... "safety", "performance", "build options", etc.
Old 12-07-18, 11:06 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I honestly cannot remember a single time Lexus made a "beater" ANYTHING. Ever.

Seems like all their cars are just playing safe and not a single one is the best in class at anything, especially performance.

They are arguably the best on average, scoring high consistently across the board, but never the best in any one category... "safety", "performance", "build options", etc.
Why do you think I said "please" in all caps?!
Old 12-08-18, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Except that consumers buy SUVs, they don't buy coupes or sports cars.

High performance SUVs are huge, and Lexus is a business that actually wants to sell cars.
Old 12-08-18, 10:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that consumers buy SUVs, they don't buy coupes or sports cars.

High performance SUVs are huge, and Lexus is a business that actually wants to sell cars.
"High performance SUV's are huge"? When did this happen? I don't see many out there or mainstream/sports car companies saying they are replacing the 911, Boxster, 458, R8, Corvette, Mustang, Supra, 370Z, GTR, McLaren's, Bugatti's, Konigseggs, Aston Martin's, Pagani's, F Types, etc with big dumpy SUV's or sports car enthusiasts clamoring for high performance SUV's. Sure they did a Lambo SUV that is ugly as sin but it did not replace any Lamborghini sports cars and it is basically a platform/engine sharing job with Audi/Porsche with not all that much performance.

Don't tell Mustang, Charger, Camaro, Corvette, 911, 488, R8, etc owners that consumers don't buy sports cars, last time I checked muscle cars/sedans from the big 3 have sold pretty well over the US, beating many SUV models.
Old 12-08-18, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"High performance SUV's are huge"? When did this happen? I don't see many out there or mainstream/sports car companies saying they are replacing the 911, Boxster, 458, R8, Corvette, Mustang, Supra, 370Z, GTR, McLaren's, Bugatti's, Konigseggs, Aston Martin's, Pagani's, F Types, etc with big dumpy SUV's or sports car enthusiasts clamoring for high performance SUV's. Sure they did a Lambo SUV that is ugly as sin but it did not replace any Lamborghini sports cars and it is basically a platform/engine sharing job with Audi/Porsche with not all that much performance.
Just look at the expanding market for high performance SUVs, they're coming out of the woodwork everywhere. Why do you think Lambo came out with an SUV?

Don't tell Mustang, Charger, Camaro, Corvette, 911, 488, R8, etc owners that consumers don't buy sports cars, last time I checked muscle cars/sedans from the big 3 have sold pretty well over the US, beating many SUV models.
Those are niche, enthusiast supported well established sports cars. Lexus is not all of a sudden going to play in those niches because they come out with a sports car. Look at sales of the RC and LC...

A performance/luxury SUV has way more market potential than a coupe/sports car for Lexus. And this new model isn't replacing anything in the Lexus line...

Old 12-08-18, 01:01 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This vehicle is why I think they went the way they did with the new LS500. This will become the new flagship people hauler.

Exactly! This makes great sense in light of the current trends. It doesn't need 600 hp, but must be really plush, quiet, roomy, and pretty fast. Look at Range Rover as a target. The next Mercedes GLS will also be much improved over the current one and BMW will have an X8 soon. This would make a nice combo with the LC and LS500 at the top end of the range. An F Sport (or F) with a turbo V-8 would cover most of the competition.
Old 12-08-18, 07:27 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Just look at the expanding market for high performance SUVs, they're coming out of the woodwork everywhere. Why do you think Lambo came out with an SUV?

Those are niche, enthusiast supported well established sports cars. Lexus is not all of a sudden going to play in those niches because they come out with a sports car. Look at sales of the RC and LC...

A performance/luxury SUV has way more market potential than a coupe/sports car for Lexus. And this new model isn't replacing anything in the Lexus line...
Lambo is one, don't see that as a big trend or being huge, jury is still out if it will be successful or not.

RC's get some decent sales some months, better then some SUV's, I think if they fix some of the styling issues with the RC it will sell better.
Old 12-08-18, 09:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lambo is one, don't see that as a big trend or being huge, jury is still out if it will be successful or not.

RC's get some decent sales some months, better then some SUV's, I think if they fix some of the styling issues with the RC it will sell better.
The auto press disagrees with you lol.

I just read an article about the growth of performance SUVs the other day. Coupes and sports cars are just not a growing segment, SUVs are. Like I said, why do you think Lambo made one? Maserati? Alfa Romeo? Why has every carmaker come out with them? Fastback SUV coupe Mercedes and BMWs, Audis SQ line...
Old 12-09-18, 01:20 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't see a big market for a twin turbo V8 with 600hp. Maybe a few Hollywood celebrities and some fools that can't afford it. What Lexus needs is to bring out an EV like the Audi e-tron. That is the future.

Quick Reply: Lexus planning Limitless-based super SUV?