Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm aware of most of them. Swapping wheels and tires, though, can run into a lot of complications, and sometimes void the warranty.
i'm sure steve meant swap the possibly larger rims/tires that come on a high spec model with the smaller factory ones you like which should not have any complications. in fact many dealers will do this for you as part of a sale.
Old 12-03-18, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

i must state again, there is no 'great war against nice-driving sedans'. there was no war on a pontiac aztek when it was dropped, or an amc pacer, a ford edsel, ford ltd's, ford thunderbirds, all oldsmobiles, all pontiacs including the hugely successful in its prime trans am, corvair, or any of hundreds of other models. there is no there there.

manufacturers stop making certain vehicles when they're no longer viable... they're not in the business of making cars in small volumes at a loss to keep a dwindling number of customers happy. and nothing stays the same, you can't just keep a model the same, you have to make changes, which on a vehicle with dwindling sales, is suicidal if there seems no prospect of increased sales.

even a vehicle that enjoys a long production run goes through complete redesigns... was there a 'war' on version 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. of accord, camry, lexus es, etc.? no. the manufacturers concluded they had to be replaced (not just enhanced) to remain competitive.

since i'm in the IT field, i have many clients who complain that the computer they have has become obsolete and slow. a computer model's availability is typically a year to 18 months and it's replaced! there is no war on computers, or phones, etc. either.

back to the thread topic specifically, it sucks for you and other fans of the lacrosse and other non-luxury large sedans. but it's life, and not a 'war'.

look at car sales numbers, i'm sensing that the great wealth divide is exacerbating things in this area too... that popular large luxury sedans are still doing pretty well still despite tons of luxury suvs being sold as well. as i've said, i think most of those not able or willing to spend as much, have moved to suvs instead because the only reason they previously wanted a large non-luxury sedan was the room and that's far surpassed by suvs.
Old 12-03-18, 09:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm aware of most of them. Swapping wheels and tires, though, can run into a lot of complications, and sometimes void the warranty.
They will have no problem doing that. The better wheels off the higher spec model will make your trade in easier to sell, they'll be happy to make that swap for you.

When I got my 17 LS they were more than happy to swap the 18" wheels off my 2015 for the 19" wheels off the 2017. I wound up not doing that but it would have been no problem.

Where they balk is when you want BETTER wheels.
Old 12-03-18, 10:13 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as I know, the Cadillac ELR used that technology

You are correct. I completely forgot about the ELR and I had argued at the time that GM should have introduced the new extended-range EV technology on the higher profit margin Cadillac brand instead of the mass-market Chevrolet brand.

Very simple....Cost. That's why the much larger Lacrosse Hybrid starts at only 29K (30K with freight) and the much smaller Volt starts at 33-34K.
It cannot be as simple as cost. If it was that simple, the less-expensive, lower profit margin Malibu would have the simpler, less-costly mild hybrid system, and the higher profit margin LaCrosse would use the Volt's more expensive Voltec hybrid system.
Old 12-03-18, 11:54 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Really interesting discussion on this topic. "They're making so many disposable products and when you make disposable products, the people behind them begin to become disposable as well."

Old 12-03-18, 12:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Really interesting discussion on this topic. "They're making so many disposable products and when you make disposable products, the people behind them begin to become disposable as well."
I wouldn't consider most of what GM produces today to be disposable products....especially the smaller Opel-sourced Buicks. Of course, I can (all too well) remember a time when GM and Chrysler did make disposable products.

You may (?) have a point, however, about disposable customers.
Old 12-03-18, 12:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

GM cars and all American cars in North America have perceptions problem IMO. Why buy a GM or Ford if Toyota or Honda has something that can do it all equally as well?

If I was a UAW worker at the Fairfax assembly plant, I would be quite worried right about now.
Old 12-03-18, 12:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i must state again, there is no 'great war against nice-driving sedans'. there was no war on a pontiac aztek when it was dropped, or an amc pacer, a ford edsel, ford ltd's, ford thunderbirds, all oldsmobiles, all pontiacs including the hugely successful in its prime trans am, corvair, or any of hundreds of other models. there is no there there.
Come on, bit. The Aztec didn't need a war fought against it...it killed itself with its looks. The AMC Pacer also died because of quirkiness....though, personally, I liked it. But that is not the case with many discontinued vehicles. They are discontinued, not because of customer rejection, but because, even with adequate demand, the manufacturer isn't satisfied with the profits (i.e...greed). How else do you explain Ford dropping the two-seat Thunderbird when customers were lined up to buy what few were available, often paying well over list for them? The Ford dealers, not the manufacturers, were the ones getting the profits, because they were the one gouging the prices.
Old 12-03-18, 12:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
GM cars and all American cars in North America have perceptions problem IMO. Why buy a GM or Ford if Toyota or Honda has something that can do it all equally as well?

Because, for years, Toyota and Honda dealers were arrogant, were not willing to discount much if at all, and treated customers (to use a term that signdetres, above, coined) like they were disposable. They got away with that for a long time, because they actually DID make better products, but, with excellent vehicles today from both Ford and GM, that is no longer necessarily the case. The Fusion, MKZ, Malibu, Silverado, F-150, Impala, and a number of others are all as good better as their Toyota/Honda competition, and the Lacrosse, while not the equal of a Lexus in reliability, IMO outpaces any Lexus product made today in riding and seating comfort except for the LS460....can't speak for the LS500, because I haven't driven it yet.
Old 12-03-18, 12:25 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa2chglKQSc
Funny that they mention the Cadillac mechanic owning Honda's. That doesn't speak well for quality. Not sure what time frame they were referring to though.
Old 12-03-18, 12:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

vehicles today from both Ford and GM, that is no longer necessarily the case. The Fusion, MKZ, Malibu, Silverado, F-150, Impala, and a number of others are all as good better as their Toyota/Honda competition, and the Lacrosse, while not the equal of a Lexus in reliability, IMO outpaces any Lexus product made today in riding and seating comfort except for the LS460....can't speak for the LS500, because I haven't driven it yet.
Then why are all the American models getting cancelled and not the Toyota or Honda models? Isn’t the proof in the pudding.
Old 12-03-18, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
You are correct. I completely forgot about the ELR and I had argued at the time that GM should have introduced the new extended-range EV technology on the higher profit margin Cadillac brand instead of the mass-market Chevrolet brand.
I don't blame you, though, for forgetting. It's easy to forget about the ELR. It was a sales flop from Day One, and never even approximated the Volt's sales. Most potential customers considered it a waste of money, and I agreed, considering that even the much less-expensive Chevy Volt was also overpriced.

It cannot be as simple as cost. If it was that simple, the less-expensive, lower profit margin Malibu would have the simpler, less-costly mild hybrid system, and the higher profit margin LaCrosse would use the Volt's more expensive Voltec hybrid system.
Cost, though (from a less-complex hybrid system) appears to be the reason that the big Lacrosse Hybrid can undercut even the much smaller Chevy Volt in price, which uses a much more complex plug-in hybrid system, If the Lacrosse Hybrid had the Volt's sophistication and range-capability on electronics alone, it almost certainly not start at only 29K.

Now, having said that, when the Volt first came out, it was significantly overpriced...perhaps because it had no competition. It started at 41K, and loaded models on the lot went for near 50K, with mark-ups. Note that when the Toyota Prius Plug-In debuted, the Volt had some serious competition....and GM dropped the price several thousand dollars (I don't remember exactly how much) almost overnight.
Old 12-03-18, 12:45 PM
crepr12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense, but if I told you what I would do (or have done) you will just find a way to belittle or argue with it. But I will say this: I would have done almost anything else before laying off 15% of the work force and alienating those customers who still want the vehicles produced in those plants, even if they are not SUVs. GMs management not only tossed out the bathwater, but the baby with it.

Not only that, but Trump is an experienced businessman.....one of the most experienced on the planet. He knows sound (and unsound) business practices when he sees them. He's not going to tweet nonsense.
LMMFAO...Talk about drinking the cool aid.

lol
Old 12-03-18, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by crepr12
LMMFAO...Talk about drinking the cool aid.

lol

Better to drink Kool-Aid than laughing-gas.....especially when you are laughing about something you apparently have little knowledge of.
Old 12-03-18, 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Then why are all the American models getting cancelled and not the Toyota or Honda models? Isn’t the proof in the pudding
Exactly my point. The proof is indeed in the pudding.....bad leadership on the part of GM and Ford. It's gotten them into trouble before, and will very likely do so again. And the stock market will not necessarily be able to help them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-18 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Declining sales of anything without 'utility' in its description