Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-19, 07:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good perspective... i was laid off twice, neither was the end of the world. one time i had a new gig long before prior severance ran out giving a nice double dip for a while. the other one i had no issue with either, and landed another good gig pretty quickly thereafter. then 4 years later i left and started a business.

if they were offered that package, not sure how they 'ripped off Toyota big time'. nothing wrong with not selling their LA homes, making the most of the relo, and deciding where they want to be after the commitment period. sounds very wise to me. i had one relo that was very generous and even though selling my home was a pain and lost a bit on that sale, with the relo i did just fine.

back on specific topic, when those gm plants close, i've no doubt the people losing their jobs will get a decent package, and those people need to do whatever it takes, even moving if needed, to make their futures secure, instead of sitting around, moaning about the layoff, doing nothing, and wondering why they're broke in a few months or years.

I have never been laid off, but that is not to say that the "need" for my expertise has not changed since 2000, and that's not good. Nobody likes to be an expert in something, highly valued, and then see that whatever that expertise is or was, is no longer needed. But that's normal. This is part of our lives today. Can you remember a time when you had a BlackBerry? lol I remember being a young buck and issued a co. BlackBerry. Man had I arrived! My wife even had a BlackBerry Storm as she was up the food chain. What do you carry today? Not only do I not have a company cell phone (I did from the start of my career to 2010), but of all things it's made by Apple (I didn't wait). At least the co. still pays for it via stipend (charges but not the hardware).

Again, my son graduates HS in 2032--there is very, very, little chance, that I would not lose my job prior to that, so I just have to keep my eyes peeled. This haunts me but I know I should have accepted a job with a Swiss co. back in 2012, I f'd up and didn't want to travel as I knew we were trying to start a family, and rather than look at the entire picture, I looked at that dollar dollar bill y'all. As Bobby P. once sung, "Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on." That factory pic shows there are real people and faces behind the closure. Hopefully they will all land on their feet.

haha You'll see me driving a big rig in the future....honestly I'm willing to do it, or anything I have to. Just that I've never minded driving and I love machines. With my luck they'll give me some 1985 International Harvester and not a 2020 Peterbilt!
Old 03-11-19, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Last Cruze shipped to Sweeney Chevrolet.

Here is the full-video on the last Cruze built at Lordstown. It was originally headed for Miami, but the staff of Sweeney Chevrolet/Buick/GMC, just a couple of miles from Lordstown, managed to get it diverted to their dealership.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news...man/1836380312

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-19 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 04:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just heard on Toronto radio. GM and Unifor are working together on plans and a solution on how to keep the plant on Oshawa open. More details will eventually come.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/...tive-suspends/

Ps. I really appreciate the Moderators have left the this thread open. I find it very interesting and relevant and the story is still ongoing

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-19-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ps. I really appreciate the Moderators have left the this thread open. I find it very interesting and relevant and the story is still ongoing
Totally agreed. The huge number of views this thread has had (over 30,000, as of this count) proves that. This is an enormously important story...both in the industry and in the news in general.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-19 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Totally agreed. The huge number of views this thread has had (over 30,000, as of this count) proves that. This is an enormously important story...both in the industry and in the news in general.
So apparently, there is going to be an announcement this week from GM regarding the Oshawa plant. Unifor and GM have been in discussions. I will be amazed if the plant will remain open or new product moved. My guess is Oshawa will be a supplier for frames for other plants like they already area.
Old 04-07-19, 06:29 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

I was a marketing engineer for Dresser-Rand and got laid off during the oil and gas industry contraction of the mid ‘80s. Went back to school and picked up a Management degree, caught a project/plant engineering job immediately upon graduation and went right back to work for the next 23 years before retiring on my own terms. I hope those people getting the pink slip take stock of their strengths and weaknesses and move to improve their skill sets. Please don’t talk to me about Canadian postal workers! (Talk about fiddling while Rome burns...)
Old 04-07-19, 06:48 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I was a marketing engineer for Dresser-Rand and got laid off during the oil and gas industry contraction of the mid ‘80s. Went back to school and picked up a Management degree, caught a project/plant engineering job immediately upon graduation and went right back to work for the next 23 years before retiring on my own terms. I hope those people getting the pink slip take stock of their strengths and weaknesses and move to improve their skill sets. Please don’t talk to me about Canadian postal workers! (Talk about fiddling while Rome burns...)
Yes, go back to school and learn how to outsource yourself in a more efficient manner. What does 1980s Alberta have to do with the 21st century in the USA?
Old 04-07-19, 06:56 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yes, go back to school and learn how to outsource yourself in a more efficient manner. What does 1980s Alberta have to do with the 21st century in the USA?
Simple, make yourself more marketable or go flip burgers. What it was then same as what it is now.
Old 04-07-19, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What does 1980s Alberta have to do with the 21st century in the USA?
For one thing, back then, automation had not yet put a lot of people out of work. Even if plants do stay open nowadays, a lot of the work is done by robots.
Old 04-07-19, 07:04 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For one thing, back then, automation had not yet put a lot of people out of work. Even if plants do stay open nowadays, a lot of the work is done by robots.
Exactly. And that is why it is even more important to improve skills and learn to adapt to change.
Old 04-07-19, 07:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Exactly. And that is why it is even more important to improve skills and learn to adapt to change.
It's not the 1980s. We're not talking about something that happened to you 35 years ago. We're talking about a gigantic corporation that advertises itself as fundementally American and wants to sell a product to American customers but doesn't want American workers to build it.

Alberta never learned the lesson you're preaching anyways, that's why it's in the jam it is now. Trying to export a product that has a glut of supply and limited demand in the US, and questionable demand in China and elsewhere.

There is plenty of demand for GM products in the USA but this company simply doesn't want American workers to build some of these products despite the fact that it's asking a very high price for said product or products. How exactly does management 101 explain corporate welfare and bailouts, incentives when it's clear these companies will run away the minute there's more profit to be made elsewhere.
Old 04-07-19, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's not the 1980s. We're not talking about something that happened to you 35 years ago. We're talking about a gigantic corporation that advertises itself as fundementally American and wants to sell a product to American customers but doesn't want American workers to build it.

Alberta never learned the lesson you're preaching anyways, that's why it's in the jam it is now. Trying to export a product that has a glut of supply and limited demand in the US, and questionable demand in China and elsewhere.

There is plenty of demand for GM products in the USA but this company simply doesn't want American workers to build some of these products despite the fact that it's asking a very high price for said product or products. How exactly does management 101 explain corporate welfare and bailouts, incentives when it's clear these companies will run away the minute there's more profit to be made elsewhere.
Exactly. To sell in the U.S., you must now build in the U.S......or face likely tariffs. For years, companies got away with outsourcing and shifting American jobs overseas, but that cannot go on any longer. It simply is not acceptable any longer, and will not be tolerated. If companies do not stop the outsourcing on their own, then the public will elect politicians who will do it for them.
Old 04-07-19, 08:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is some great writing. Thanks for the contribution.
Old 04-07-19, 08:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

U.S. has 3.8% unemployment. Auto workers are a much smaller percentage of u.s. jobs than in the past. Anyone working in that business in a ‘blue collar’ position would be wise to take an early retirement package (which are frequently offered). The huge number of auto jobs are never coming back.
Old 04-18-19, 05:33 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
U.S. has 3.8% unemployment. Auto workers are a much smaller percentage of u.s. jobs than in the past. Anyone working in that business in a ‘blue collar’ position would be wise to take an early retirement package (which are frequently offered). The huge number of auto jobs are never coming back.
They don't need to retire, management is doing it for them. Moving everything to China.

That's how we say, "Thanks, American taxpayer!" in German.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories