Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-19, 07:50 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

It has always been like this. Nothing new about incentives. If you want a corp to come to your state, you need to make it worth while or another state will attact. Nothing wrong with not offering any incentive either.
except the fact that other companies that are already operating in said state didnt get the same incentives
Old 02-24-19, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
except the fact that other companies that are already operating in said state didnt get the same incentives
Yes, you make a great point. However a big corporation carries a lot of influence. What other big corp are there in Ohio that are bigger than GM? I really do not know.
Old 02-24-19, 08:45 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, you make a great point. However a big corporation carries a lot of influence. What other big corp are there in Ohio that are bigger than GM? I really do not know.
Well in Cincinnati alone are Proctor & Gamble and the major General Electric jet engine plant. I'm not sure how the number of employees, but both are huge economic drivers. Incentives for GM are unfair to the rest of Ohio corporations.
Old 02-24-19, 09:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Well in Cincinnati alone are Proctor & Gamble and the major General Electric jet engine plant. I'm not sure how the number of employees, but both are huge economic drivers. Incentives for GM are unfair to the rest of Ohio corporations.
I am assuming those two giants have been in Ohio as long as GM. So if one were to close up and leave, is it not right to offer an incentive to stay? In place of another city offering an incentive to come to their city?
Old 02-25-19, 07:29 AM
BoostLexer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think GM is cutting losses now to transition into electric vehicles. They'll all be connected via IoT and manufactured in China. Just my two cents.
Old 02-25-19, 07:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoostLexer
I think GM is cutting losses now to transition into electric vehicles. They'll all be connected via IoT and manufactured in China. Just my two cents.
Yes. This is what it is about. They still could of built the Blazer in the US or Can. You are right. Electric vehicles will very likely coming from China.
Old 02-25-19, 07:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, I'm not sure if its presence in the state is larger than GM's, but Honda builds a LOT of Honda and Acura products at the Marysville, OH plant. It is one of the largest auto plants in the U.S.
Old 02-25-19, 07:47 AM
BoostLexer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. This is what it is about. They still could of built the Blazer in the US or Can. You are right. Electric vehicles will very likely coming from China.
That scares me to my core. Vehicle cyber security will be a big industry (for any entrepreneurs out there).
Old 02-25-19, 07:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, I'm not sure if its presence in the state is larger than GM's, but Honda builds a LOT of Honda and Acura products at the Marysville, OH plant. It is one of the largest auto plants in the U.S.
I am willing to bet that Honda received money to come to OH
Old 02-25-19, 07:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoostLexer
That scares me to my core. Vehicle cyber security will be a big industry (for any entrepreneurs out there).
GM talks about all of that in their financial reports. They say it’s a major threat to their company.
Old 02-25-19, 07:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That shows that my dealership was at least partly right when they told me that the Hamtramck-plant decision was on hold. Several posters here told be it was B.S.....not to believe them.
How is your NoVa dealer in the know on GM corporate plant closure decisions? Lucky guess?
Old 02-25-19, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
How is your NoVa dealer in the know on GM corporate plant closure decisions? Lucky guess?
Order guides? They should know what’s coming through the pipeline. No dot said the plant was closing, GM cannot close a US plant. They can say they are not putting product their. Idling is different as well.
Old 02-25-19, 08:01 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

IMO this all results of globalization of corporations. GM is focusing more on China, even Ford focusing on other countries in the EU & such. Now not to bring any politics into this and politics all aside, looking at this in a nonpolitical view this is basically corporations not putting an emphasis on USA first. These corporations are restructuring their business model to make more money in other places. Also the whole EV transition is just making everything weird too. I had just sold my RCF (crashed it) and i only had enough money to get into a new 2019 camaro ss, not RCF & it was very difficult for me to buy this car because of what GM did, but I think GM will come around once this whole technology transition phases out. I really dont know, just wanna say my opinion though haha.

I would just like to say it really bothers me that people are not "multi-quoting" and turning what should be one 1 post into 2 or more.
Old 02-25-19, 08:02 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
And Kroger, Chaquita and Macy's in Cincinnati. Limited Brands and Wendy's in Columbus.

Being opposed to states giving tax breaks and financial incentives to is fine; but the practice is not going anywhere any time soon, if ever.
Old 02-25-19, 08:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Tobacco and cameras all changed because it was discovered that tobacco is not good for you. Digital cameras were an extension of film cameras. Tobacco and cameras were and are not necessary for you to get to point A to B. They are luxuries. You don't really need tobacco in your life do you? Or a digital camera? But you need your LS430, when you park your Bimmer right?

Then by your ideology, GM should have been forced into bankruptcy and should have died its financial death 10 years ago, regardless of the consequences. It would be owned by the Chinese today and producing products for American and Chinese tastes. Trump would be fighting a strange trade negotiation.
I know it's one of them double entendres, but it sailed over my head: "But you need your LS430, when you park your Bimmer right?"

How is GM forced into bankruptcy, other than by their own mismanagement, they went into bankruptcy and got bailed out, unlike some other American car cos. AIG's bailout was so egregious that the US Congress attempted to tax their bonuses at 90%, but it never happened.

Again, I use my bro's father in-law as someone I choose to avoid, and I once played guitar with him and hung out. Laid off from the machine shop--it went out of business, what is it you want them to do for you? Got a job at BJ's Warehouse and screamed at customers and got fired. Has a CDL but not willing to drive, says he's too old (he's 53). Whether we like it or not, the world is changing so fast, that we have to do something to stay afloat. In my father's day, a partner was forced out at 57 years of age, 60 tops. That's my father. What do you think may have changed for my generation, and my son's? OK, OK, I'll answer. Subtract 17 from that number.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories