Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 06:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Can't B.S. about sales, though. They either go out the door or they don't. Numbers don't lie.
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Big sedans are not selling anymore.
Old 01-28-19, 07:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't understand what you are trying to say. Big sedans are not selling anymore.
That wasn't necessarily what I was refering to. I was responding to an earlier comment about what people tell you at dealerships. Sometimes they tell it like it is....sometimes not.

There is, though, still a market for them in the U.S.....even if not as large as before. Just here in Car Chat, Steve, Bitkahuna, and myself (among others) have all bought new samples, just within the last year or so.
Old 01-28-19, 07:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

That wasn't necessarily what I was refering to. I was responding to an earlier comment about what people tell you at dealerships. Sometimes they tell it like it is....sometimes not.
Oh, I C. The dealer should know if a model is no longer available for order at some point.
Old 01-28-19, 07:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

What you're saying isn't making any sense.

The point is, nobody at a dealership knows what is going on with these plant closures beyond what all of us already know. Dealerships are so many rungs down the ladder beneath the level these things are happening on theres no connection there.
Old 01-28-19, 07:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A GM retailer at some point will know when a car is no longer availabe for order.
Old 01-28-19, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I C. The dealer should know if a model is no longer available for order at some point.
Sometimes, though, as Steve pointed out, they are kept out of the loop. If you remember my original story, when I first wanted to order a new Lacrosse (they didn't have one just like I wanted it, or close by), the dealership assured me '17s were still available for order....so I gave them a deposit and they sent the papers in. Next morning I get a call from the dealership....."Sorry, Mr. Marshall, '17 orders are now cut off". They offered to give me the deposit back...but I decided to go with an '18. Then more problems ensued when Buick changed the standard engine (to a four-cylinder hybrid) just a couple of days after I re-ordered it (and it had to be re-ordered a THIRD time LOL, as I wanted the V6). But that was a story for another thread, not this one.
Old 01-28-19, 07:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A GM retailer at some point will know when a car is no longer availabe for order.
For sure, but they don't have any advance idea of what a carmaker is doing with models years down the road, insight into new models, etc.
Old 01-28-19, 07:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes, though, as Steve pointed out, they are kept out of the loop. If you remember my original story, when I first wanted to order a new Lacrosse (they didn't have one just like I wanted it, or close by), the dealership assured me '17s were still available for order....so I gave them a deposit and they sent the papers in. Next morning I get a call from the dealership....."Sorry, Mr. Marshall, '17 orders are now cut off". They offered to give me the deposit back...but I decided to go with an '18. Then more problems ensued when Buick changed the standard engine (to a four-cylinder hybrid) just a couple of days after I re-ordered it (and it had to be re-ordered a THIRD time LOL, as I wanted the V6). But that was a story for another thread, not this one.
Right. So perhaps, the GM dealer has been told there are no more Lacrosse allowed to be ordered. (Any dealer will have no idea what is going on at any particular plant for closure reasons)
Old 01-28-19, 07:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
For sure, but they don't have any advance idea of what a carmaker is doing with models years down the road, insight into new models, etc.
Of course. I don't think I suggested otherwise, did I?. I said earlier GM has not said they are closing the plant, they said no more allocation.
Old 01-28-19, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course. I don't think I suggested otherwise, did I?. I said earlier GM has not said they are closing the plant, they said no more allocation.
No, not at all. Mike did.
Old 01-29-19, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, not at all. Mike did.

No, I said the dealership, not me, said that the closings were on hold. Still could go either way. But that doesn't mean that the plants will still be producing the same Impalas, Lacrosses, CT6, Volts, Cruzes, etc..... They could very well, at least some of them, be retooled for other products.
Old 01-29-19, 12:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, I said the dealership, not me, said that the closings were on hold. Still could go either way.
Anybody could tell you. GM has said that.. For the record, the plants are not closing, they are not being allocated any new product. I agree with you, it is possible that GM could in theory move product to Oshawa or any of the other plants.
Old 01-29-19, 04:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, I said the dealership, not me, said that the closings were on hold. Still could go either way. But that doesn't mean that the plants will still be producing the same Impalas, Lacrosses, CT6, Volts, Cruzes, etc..... They could very well, at least some of them, be retooled for other products.
The dealership "told you" they had inside information that they don't have.

The plants are closing.
Old 01-29-19, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The dealership "told you" they had inside information that they don't have.

The plants are closing.
I wouldn't go too far out on a limb on that if I were you. They may indeed close...or they may be retooled for something else. We'll see.

To me personally, it makes little difference. Either way, the cars I'd want (Lacrosse, Impala, CT6) are gone.....although I do care for the workers, and hope they don't lose their jobs. If they wind up making different vehicles in the same plant, at least they still can put bread on the table.
Old 01-29-19, 05:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn't go too far out on a limb on that if I were you. They may indeed close...or they may be retooled for something else. We'll see.
I will go out on that limb. Plants are done.

To me personally, it makes little difference.
I think your posting activity on the subject says the exact opposite, but okay.

Quick Reply: GM closing Ontario, Detroit, and Ohio factories