Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Where is the 2019 RAV4??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 12:26 PM
southernx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RAV 4 Hybrid Australia - Made in Japan

RAV 4 - Australia

RAV 4 - Australia

Toyota is betting big on hybrid with its new RAV4, estimating that petrol-electric versions could represent up to 50 per cent of sales.

Six of the 11 versions of the mid-size SUV will be hybrid.

Toyota Australia vice president of sales and marketing Sean Hanley says the brand has set an “ultra conservative” target of 40 per cent for hybrids but the figure may be higher initially as early adopters opt for petrol-electric.

Hanley says the trend to hybrids is gaining momentum. “There is a distinct shift happening in that market. This is the movement. It’s happening,” he says.

Old 05-28-19, 01:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by southernx

RAV 4 - Australia

RAV 4 - Australia

Toyota is betting big on hybrid with its new RAV4, estimating that petrol-electric versions could represent up to 50 per cent of sales.

Six of the 11 versions of the mid-size SUV will be hybrid.

Toyota Australia vice president of sales and marketing Sean Hanley says the brand has set an “ultra conservative” target of 40 per cent for hybrids but the figure may be higher initially as early adopters opt for petrol-electric.

Hanley says the trend to hybrids is gaining momentum. “There is a distinct shift happening in that market. This is the movement. It’s happening,” he says.
southernnx, please make sure to attribute your source when you post stuff like this. Google says https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...8a25f533ffe558 for this one
Old 05-29-19, 11:05 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I just spent 4 days driving the 2019 Rav 4 and I thought I would include some of my impressions. In general, Im pretty disappointed with this product from Toyota. Design wise, I liked the previous one better with the curvy body style. This squarish, truckish look isn't doing it for me, especially in the rear. Since that is more subjective, I won't talk anymore about it. I will preface this post with the fact that I know its a rental vehicle, so it may not have received the best of care, and thus some of these nit picks may not apply to actual personal vehicles. This vehicle was registered in January 2019 and had 5500 miles when I picked it up. Over the course of 400 miles, I noticed an A pillar rattle on the driver side door, and also two of the 4 windows made loudish screeching noises when being rolled up or down. In addition, the noise when the window glass hits the top of the door frame was extremely loud. I have a 2011 Sienna that has windows that slow when approaching the top like Lexus vehicles. Im not sure why Toyota would stop including this. Engine felt a bit underpowered but not too bad. The transmission was the biggest let down, it was slow to respond in stop and go traffic, especially in the area where you are coming to a complete stop but start to accelerate again (like rolling a stop sign). It would lurch forward and try to catch up as the gear was engaged. Infotainment was also a huge let down, for obvious reasons but it did have Apple Carplay. I appreciate all the different driving modes, it had a few "off road" modes available for selection. The other big letdown was the headlights. It has LEDs but they barely illuminated the road at night, and the high beams weren't that much better. In fact, I find it extremely dangerous. And lastly, the Toyota safety sense 2.0 that is included in all new vehicles. I was happy to see this because of the radar cruise control, but found the lane keep extremely annoying. Even when not using radar cruise control, the system would still be working in the background. As I was driving a lot of curvy mountain roads, the vehicle was beeping at me at every turn because I would go slightly out of lane to prevent more body roll than necessary. Also, the steering wheel fights you, as its trying to keep you centered in lane. I found that on the highway, I had a hard time keeping the vehicle on center because of this. All in all, the system was extremely annoying.
Old 05-30-19, 07:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for your impressions, RXSF.

Interesting what you say about the 8 speed auto. I've read many similar impressions. As my folks bought the hybrid, I haven't tried out the 8 speed but I have not heard good things so far. Lots of posts about it over on Toyota Nation.

And I agree with you on the steering assist. I feel the same way with it in my GS. I feel like I'm fighting it all of the time so mostly I just leave it turned off.
Old 05-30-19, 10:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

A bit off track, but here's their old one, for sale at the dealer. Someone will get a good used car. 73k miles but still looks new.