Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tree Hugger vs Gas Burner...Which is Right For You?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 12:25 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Tree Hugger vs Gas Burner...Which is Right For You?

Tree Hugger vs Gas Burner...Which is Right For You?
By Curated Content Editor

V8 powerplant or a hybrid setup? There are pros and cons to each camp.

Old 08-24-18, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Curated Content Editor
Tree Hugger
vs Gas Burner...Which is Right For You?
By Curated Content Editor

V8 powerplant or a hybrid setup? There are pros and cons to each camp.
Its really a shame Lexus does not have a plug in option for their hybrids.
Old 08-24-18, 01:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not wild about either hybrids or turbos. Given the choice, for FWD, I'd take a transversely-mounted conventional, non-turbo V6. For RWD or AWD, a non-turbo, longitudinally-mounted V8.

And, as far as trees are concerned, IMO, most of the time, cars and trees don't mix LOL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-24-18 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-24-18, 01:26 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

I agree. Plug in tech for Toyota products, but none for Lexus? Head of Lexus in Europe said that the brand sees the tech as more of a "stop-gap than a solution."
Old 08-24-18, 01:27 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not wild about either hybrids or turbos. Given the choice, for FWD, I'd take a transversely-mounted conventional, non-turbo V6. For RWD or AWD, a non-turbo, longitudinally-mounted V8.

And, as far as trees are concerned, IMO, most of the time, cars and trees don't mix LOL.
Old 08-24-18, 01:55 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Then how about longitudinally mounted biturbo V8? I don't drive fwd car so it does not matter.
Old 08-24-18, 02:00 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree. Plug in tech for Toyota products, but none for Lexus? Head of Lexus in Europe said that the brand sees the tech as more of a "stop-gap than a solution."
I think so. In extreme cold weather the battery capacity decreases No much energy saving there.
Old 08-24-18, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Then how about longitudinally mounted biturbo V8? I don't drive fwd car so it does not matter.

Like I said, I'm not into turbos. Especially with a V8, that would be way more power than I ever need. A few transverse V8s, over the years, have been tried with FWD, mostly from GM (Cadillac Northstar, FWD Chevy Impala SS, Pontiac Grand Prix, etc...)...but the effects of torque steer were never overcome.
Old 08-24-18, 05:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems to me that Lexus made a mistake not offering the plug in. I have noticed Lexus print marketing has changed to "Always charged" when they describe the hybrid Lexus models.
Old 08-24-18, 07:32 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am not a tree hugger, but after 4 years of driving my ES Hybrid, I could not go back to a "normal" car. While I wait for an electric vehicle with a solid-state (or some other powerful and high capacity, yet light and quickly recharging) battery, I am satisfied with the Hybrid.

The Hybrid, with its electric drive motor, gives me smooth, immediate, powerful off-the-line acceleration.

The engine runs only when it needs to. It shuts off when idling and in ideal circumstances, the engine can shut off, allowing me to drive up to 70 km/h (40 mph) on electric drive only without the gasoline engine running; this is a great feeling in stop-and-go commuter traffic knowing that I am able to drive with no emissions, while all around me, everyone else is spewing noxious fumes. The hybrid vehicle is in its ideal conditions in stop-and-go longer-distance commuter driving.

I save on fuel: the large ES sips only as much fuel as my much smaller Corolla did. I am also driving a very clean, low-emissions car.

And with the parallel electric motor drive, I am also putting less wear on the engine and less wear on the brakes.

With these benefits, I don't mind paying a premium over a "normal" car. To me, the Hybrid drivetrain is just another drivetrain option and I am willing to pay a bit extra for the benefits it gives me.

As much as I like the Hybrid, I do not like current plug-in electric hybrids. I do not care that the German luxury automakers may offer PHEVs but Lexus does not.

Current-technology PHEVs are neither fish nor fowl, and have shortcomings of both the normal internal combustion engine drivetrain and the electric drivetrain. When driving in electric mode, the electric vehicle is dragging along a large, heavy engine, and when the battery runs low, the hybrid vehicle is dragging along a large, heavy battery. How much extra electric range could be added if the weight of the engine were replaced by an equivalent weight in batteries?

If battery technology is not enough to give me at least 200 km (~120 miles) of range without the need to recharge on-the-go, give me a true extended-range electric vehicle that runs in electric mode all the time, with a small-as-possible on-board recharger (small enough to only have to recharge the battery, without also having to drive the car, like a normal hybrid has to do). No such sedan, wagon or crossover (yet) exists.
Old 08-25-18, 07:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You are not saving anymore trees or doing much of anything for the environment by buying a hybrid or electric. Gasoline cars don't run on trees nor do they knock them down to get oil. You are just trading pollution sources with hybrids or electrics. To build windmill farms, solar farms may mean lots of trees get knocked down.