UX Models (2019-present)

UX250H Hybrid versus UX250 Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-18, 08:38 AM
MagnetoBlu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UX250H Hybrid versus UX250 Gas

Hey guys, I'm excited for the UX coming out next year but I'm having trouble deciding if I should go with between the standard gas UX250 or the hybrid UX250H. I don't know if the hybrid model is worth it over the standard gas model since it only seems to get 5 mpg more and it comes with an additional electric motor that might need replacement in the future.

Are there any other benefits that the Hybrid UX250H offers that the standard gas UX250 model doesn't? Does UX250H offer regenerative braking like a Prius?
Old 06-20-18, 12:09 AM
nexuslotus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hybrid model has much better fuel consumption and it will provide maximum benefit of saving gas money if you mainly use it for driving in a city environment. Hybrid model runs quieter.
The following users liked this post:
MagnetoBlu (08-28-18)
Old 06-22-18, 11:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hybrid also comes with AWD, which could be an advantage. And it won't be like the RX or GS hybrids which are thousands more than the standard ICE counterpart. It'll be more like the ES and NX where the extra premium cost of the hybrid is quickly made up.
MagnetoBlu (08-28-18)
Old 06-25-18, 11:57 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Hybrid also comes with AWD, which could be an advantage. And it won't be like the RX or GS hybrids which are thousands more than the standard ICE counterpart. It'll be more like the ES and NX where the extra premium cost of the hybrid is quickly made up.
Have they released pricing yet? Sorry if i missed that.
Old 06-25-18, 03:46 PM
nexuslotus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD is not always an advantage or a benefit over FWD or RWD. First of all, AWD is not necessary unless you often drive on road that AWD works better. Some of these road conditions are snowy, rainy, mountain, and so on. Also, AWD does not kick in unless road condition requires for it. Under normal driving condition, it will drive in FWD or RWD mode 99% of the time. When the road is slippery especially when you're making a turn, torque from FWD or RWD will be distributed to front/rear wheel for that moment only. AWD has downsides too. (1) It is more expensive than FWD or RWD adding one or few thousand dollars on top if AWDwas optional. (2) Suspension of AWD are easier to get damaged which means you would end up paying more for maintenance. Do some research online and see pros and cons of AWD. Also, ask yourself, do I really need AWD?

Last edited by nexuslotus; 06-25-18 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-18, 08:23 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I know the UX200 is FWD only, but I though the UX250h only came with AWD. Is that not correct?

In any case, I would go with the UX250h. Assuming it is like other Lexus/Toyota hybrids, there will be no belts to replace, no starter or alternator to go bad, brakes last longer, etc. Less wear and tear on the gasoline engine, and you get the smooth, strong electric motor torque. I have never heard of anyone having to replace an electric motor on a hybrid. Those motors have few moving parts and are very reliable. Your only liability is perhaps a battery replacement years down the road, but you can now get those pretty reasonably priced. I wouldn't worry about it.
MagnetoBlu (08-28-18)
Old 07-03-18, 10:51 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nexuslotus
AWD is not always an advantage or a benefit over FWD or RWD. First of all, AWD is not necessary unless you often drive on road that AWD works better. Some of these road conditions are snowy, rainy, mountain, and so on. Also, AWD does not kick in unless road condition requires for it. Under normal driving condition, it will drive in FWD or RWD mode 99% of the time. When the road is slippery especially when you're making a turn, torque from FWD or RWD will be distributed to front/rear wheel for that moment only. AWD has downsides too. (1) It is more expensive than FWD or RWD adding one or few thousand dollars on top if AWDwas optional. (2) Suspension of AWD are easier to get damaged which means you would end up paying more for maintenance. Do some research online and see pros and cons of AWD. Also, ask yourself, do I really need AWD?
Lexus hybrid AWD as used on the RX450h avoids most of these "downsides". The rear wheels are powered by electric motor not mechanical driveshaft. In the hybrid, they provide a bit more power and are most useful on slippery roads. On the hybrid model, AWD is a win/win.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldcajun:
MagnetoBlu (08-28-18), SoCalRX (07-03-18)
Old 07-03-18, 11:50 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Lexus hybrid AWD as used on the RX450h avoids most of these "downsides". The rear wheels are powered by electric motor not mechanical driveshaft. In the hybrid, they provide a bit more power and are most useful on slippery roads. On the hybrid model, AWD is a win/win.
Agreed, and I would not purchase the UX in anything but AWD.
Old 08-24-18, 01:31 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

hybrid awd all the way. no question. at the end of the day it's all about average fuel economy. the CHR hybrid on Fuelly (1.8 hybrid instead of 2.0 hybrid) is getting between 47 and 50. so if the UX can get somewhere near that.. that would be amazing. it has added weight so it won't do quite as well but should be close.
MagnetoBlu (08-28-18)
Old 08-28-18, 09:41 PM
MagnetoBlu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the response. You guys convinced me to get the Hybrid version. Initially I read that Hybrid only was 33 mpg compared to the gas version of 28 mpg, but now I'm reading 38 mpg. I'm hoping to get more information soon. I'm 100% buying this car.