Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Genesis G80

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

^^ that G80 looks great! (damn you Lexus for abandoning this segment!)

As for the new G80, looks like a cross between traditional sedan and 4-door coupe slope.
Old 08-24-18, 04:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seems true...

Clearly targeting the A7 ...

Old 08-24-18, 07:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
On the Carscoops page, the greenhouse IMHO doesn't look much different than the current model.
Perhaps not. But the old model, when seen from the side, doesn't look like it could work as a hatchback IMO. The new one - maybe.

To be honest I like the current G80's looks a lot. Hopefully the new one as well.
Old 08-24-18, 07:19 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I love that A7. Would love to see the G80 compete with it - the hatchback is a really nice touch on the A7 and would intrigue me to consider G80 if I were shopping and they offer it.
Old 08-25-18, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

front overhang on the new g80 WAY better imo (shorter) than the A7. this is also due to front wheel on g80 being much further forward - look at distance from wheel to front door on both!
looking forward to seeing the real thing i love audi but i think genesis has a better starting point of a real rwd vehicle, not a platform that's been tied in knots with transverse/longitudinal engines and fwd and then 'quattro', etc.
Old 08-25-18, 01:05 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

i love audi but i think genesis has a better starting point of a real rwd vehicle, not a platform that's been tied in knots with transverse/longitudinal engines and fwd and then 'quattro', etc.
so boujee
Old 08-25-18, 06:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I wasn't seeing A7 with the G80. The Hyundai's greenhouse is distinctly taller and more proper, like a regular sedan. To get the four-door coupe look, one needs to have a low roof, like the A7 and CLS. Combining the fastback look with a traditionally tall(er) greenhouse looks bulbous and a bit goofy.
Old 08-25-18, 08:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
so boujee
had to look that one up
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boujee
Old 08-25-18, 08:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I wasn't seeing A7 with the G80. The Hyundai's greenhouse is distinctly taller and more proper, like a regular sedan. To get the four-door coupe look, one needs to have a low roof, like the A7 and CLS. Combining the fastback look with a traditionally tall(er) greenhouse looks bulbous and a bit goofy.
you mean like the successful bmw 6 gran coupe and mb gle coupe.
Old 08-25-18, 09:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

you mean like the successful bmw 6 gran coupe and mb gle coupe.
Yes and no. The BMW 6 Gran Coupe has the same, sleek recipe as the A7- a slim and low greenhouse. The MBZ GLE is more of a take on an SUV, not even close to what the A7 or called out G80 is trying to be.
Old 08-26-18, 04:24 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

front overhang on the new g80 WAY better imo (shorter) than the A7. this is also due to front wheel on g80 being much further forward - look at distance from wheel to front door on both!
looking forward to seeing the real thing i love audi but i think genesis has a better starting point of a real rwd vehicle, not a platform that's been tied in knots with transverse/longitudinal engines and fwd and then 'quattro', etc.
This last bit puzzles me. The A7 is on the MLB platform, which has been longitudinal since day one, and there has never been a model on it with a transverse engine. Furthermore, the MLB is the next evolution of VWAG's B platform, which has been exclusively longitudinal mount since the day it was introduced in 1974. That's actually the reason that the Passat has always had a longitudinal layout, even though for the first few decades of its life it was FWD-only so there was technically no need.

In fact, the MLBEvo platform that the current (2017+) A7 is based on is used for pretty much every VWAG vehicle introduced since 2015, from the A4 on up with the exception of the mid/rear engined cars and the Porsche Panamera (on the MSB platform, that will be used by future Bentleys as well). This includes the Porsche Macan and Cayenne, Bentley Hideousness, Lamboroghini Urus, etc.

Now if what you meant was a Longitudinal/FWD platform, that would be much closer to the mark. MLB is kind of a unicorn in the industry, in that it's one of the only longidudinal-engine platforms I'm aware of with the majority of the engine ahead of the front axle, which is done to make FWD easier for those models that need it. That does result in a longer front overhang than platforms with the engine mounted behind the front axle.
Old 08-26-18, 08:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ i'm not an expert on their platforms for sure but yes, if they use a longitudinal engine platform for both fwd and rwd applications it's likely to have some trade-offs i think?

most audi sedans in my experience have never had great driving dynamics (handling) compared to bmw, mercedes or lexus. i drove some a8s in the past and came away very disappointed each time.
Old 08-26-18, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
This includes the Porsche Macan and Cayenne, Bentley Hideousness, Lamboroghini Urus, etc.
thanks for the lol
Old 08-27-18, 05:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

^^^ i'm not an expert on their platforms for sure but yes, if they use a longitudinal engine platform for both fwd and rwd applications it's likely to have some trade-offs i think?

most audi sedans in my experience have never had great driving dynamics (handling) compared to bmw, mercedes or lexus. i drove some a8s in the past and came away very disappointed each time.
The main compromises are typically longer overhangs (as we're discussing here), and an upset weight balance if a large, heavy engine is used. That's why anything with the old 4.2L V8 (probably what was in the A8s you drove)--or worse the 6.0L W12 or V8 TDI, both of which are almost 550lbs--kind of handles like a pig, and part of the reason they put the small, lightweight 2.0T in everything.

thanks for the lol
I knew you would catch that.
Old 08-27-18, 06:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Up until a few years ago, VW's (Audi's) longitudinal FWD / AWD drivetrains had the front differential at the rear end of the transmission (where the driveshaft to the rear axle would join the transmission). That gave old Audis, with both engine and long transmission, terribly long front overhangs and terrible front-biased weight distributions. But in 2007, VW / Audi redesigned their transmissions, moving the front differential forward, close to where the engine joins the transmission. With the new MLB platform to fit these new drivetrains, came longer wheelbases and front overhangs have been greatly reduced, as well as weight distribution improved also.

But the engine, at least, still sits ahead of the front axle (unlike RWD Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus and Genesis models), so the larger (longer) the engine, the longer that front overhang. That's why all of VW's large AWD models (including Bentleys) have the terribly-long front overhang.

(I will let another member, to remain unnamed here, provide details of dates and fancy diagrams.)

Quick Reply: 2020 Genesis G80