Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 10:23 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This thread has been created so we can post news, rumors, and discuss the future of Lexus. We had a few other ones in the past, so continuing the tradition. As a reminder let's be respectful and take everything with a grain of salt as this is not official press.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015
Future of Lexus discussion 2016
Future of Lexus discussion 2017

With that said, I'd like highlight some things to come.

**we'll try to keep this continually updated**

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

7/19/2018

- The AWD ES should be coming to Europe around December. North America probably sometime next year.

- The GX will live on, but due for an overhaul. Whether this is a major refresh or redesign I am unsure

- Lexus is hard at work on a NEW infotainment system. It should be substantially different than what we've known since about 5th to current 10th gen Lexus navigation systems. This includes a return to TOUCHSCREEN input! This new system should be released on the next RX. So 2021 or 2022 I'd expect it.

gx needs a refresh so bad. Only vehicle that's running a decade old interior, safety equipment no Lss+ and infotainment from 2 decades ago
Old 07-21-18, 08:58 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

It would be interesting if they actually went back to touchscreen. Yes touch tech has improved but I hope it’s not an infotainment system like Tesla where everything is in the menu. Easy access manual buttons should always exist. I understand they want a sportier image but putting fsport package on everything really doesn’t go that far, especially when it’s mostly for appearance now. If they want a sportier image they need to figure out how to make their F models fly off the shelves. Do what the gtr did, bring incredible performance cheap for a couple of years and gradually put a premium on it. The gtr was the crazy affordable supercar when it came out.
Old 07-22-18, 03:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new ES awd will be different than what Lexus has in their current cars. It won’t be permanent. It will engage and disengage as needed to overcome fuel economy concerns.

Audi has done the same thing with their redesigned Quattro system....shifted it from a full-time, split-torque system to essentially AWD on demand, only when the front wheels slip. It helps in the fuel-economy department, but changes the driving feel of the cars somewhat. Most enthusiasts prefer the old system.
Old 07-22-18, 06:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Build quality feels slightly improved, panel gaps are taut, though material content especially door bezels, console bezels still feels cheap just like the 6ES pre-refresh. It's not rough plastic, smooth (kind of waxy to the touch) but feels like it's from the lowest bidder smh.

I think I have an idea of what the materials are going to be like. I think the new ES is going to sell very very well. You will see the same biased nonsense about this piece of plastic does not feel solid or this piece of leather felt like this blah blah blah.

Really happy there is no BMW or LS style E-shifter.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-22-18 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-22-18, 08:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think I have an idea of what the materials are going to be like. I think the new ES is going to see very very well. You will see the same biased nonsense about this piece of plastic does not feel solid or this piece of leather felt like this blah blah blah.

Really happy there is no BMW or LS style E-shifter.
It's amazing, I remember way back I was given an X5 loaner (really not sure maybe 2010?), and I thought what the heck, how does this thing go into D, R, and park? Today, that seems normal and nobody needs to figure out how to use it (doesn't Buick do the same?).

Last time they gave me an X1 loaner, it was back to normal, like the one in your pic. BMW is really going mainstream, like taking away the way the wipers controls have always been, turn signal stalk, etc. It's a shame to not be oneself and cave in to mainstream....
Old 07-22-18, 08:42 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The ES will take the spotlight for about a year, then the UX, and then I suspect something GS and IS will start making waves in two years.
Source for the IS info? 2 more years and the IS will be a dinosaur, as by then all other makers will have new models and new engines (again) vs. the IS. They need a new model with new power trains like yesterday already.

Last edited by ST430; 07-22-18 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 05:03 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Talking

"Paging MMarshall.
Sir, we now have removed that zig-zag shifter that you have been commenting on for awhile"

"Paging Bitkahuna.
So sorry sir. We are unable to get rid of that leather cover around the shifter representing a faux-manual you have been commenting for awhile"

Old 07-22-18, 05:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
"Paging MMarshall.
Sir, we now have removed that zig-zag shifter that you have been commenting on for awhile"

"Paging Bitkahuna.
So sorry sir. We are unable to get rid of that leather cover around the shifter representing a faux-manual you have been commenting for awhile"
Omg. Funny post. 👍
Old 07-22-18, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
"Paging MMarshall.
Now get rid of the manual prop rod underhood LOL.