Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future of Lexus discussion 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 03:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Future of Lexus discussion 2018

This thread has been created so we can post news, rumors, and discuss the future of Lexus. We had a few other ones in the past, so continuing the tradition. As a reminder let's be respectful and take everything with a grain of salt as this is not official press.

Future of Lexus discussion 2013-2015
Future of Lexus discussion 2016
Future of Lexus discussion 2017

With that said, I'd like highlight some things to come.

**we'll try to keep this continually updated**

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

7/19/2018

- The AWD ES should be coming to Europe around December. North America probably sometime next year.

- The GX will live on, but due for an overhaul. Whether this is a major refresh or redesign I am unsure

- Lexus is hard at work on a NEW infotainment system. It should be substantially different than what we've known since about 5th to current 10th gen Lexus navigation systems. This includes a return to TOUCHSCREEN input! This new system should be released on the next RX. So 2021 or 2022 I'd expect it.

Last edited by Hoovey689; 07-19-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 11:01 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

A 7ES with AWD & the current 3.5 atmospheric would be rather sluggish having to tow all that extra weight & AWD mechanical friction, however Lexus' new 3.5 TT would be ideal when matched with 7ES AWD.

No 5GS for now, but with the next gen Jaguar XJ in EV & the next gen 2020-27 S Class to be available with EV variant, a 2020/beyond 5GS EV would be an excellent idea - and I wouldn't be surprized if that's already secretly in the pipeline....
Old 07-20-18, 12:56 PM
Hoovey689

ES weighs less than the RX, I don't see the addition of AWD a huge disadvantage.

2019 ES350 302hp / 267ft-lb weight 3,649 lbs
2018 RX350 295hp / 267ft-lb weight 4,222 lbs (FWD)
2018 RX350 295hp / 267ft-lb weight 4,387 lbs (AWD)

---

I drove the 2019 ES350 and ES300h on Wednesday. It's no GS replacement, but the ES is the best iteration of the model line yet when it comes to drive feel and powertrain. The steering has better weight to it. The trunk is massive, in regular and hybrid models. Fits 3 large suitcases and then some. The lack of a sunglasses holder and 60/40 split folding seats is still very annoying. Apple CarPlay is smooth and voice commands work well. Amazon Alexa works, but the phone speaker needs to be near and clear, as that is the source it runs through. The hybrid still feels strained, I couldn't really tell the extra 15 horsepower difference. I'd trust the 4mpg mileage increase. The 8-Speed Auto on the 350 is smooth. I don't understand why there is still no COMFORT mode on the AVS equipped models. The acoustic windshield helps make the cabin quieter, limiting road and wind noise compared to the current model.
Old 07-20-18, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The new ES awd will be different than what Lexus has in their current cars. It won’t be permanent. It will engage and disengage as needed to overcome fuel economy concerns.
Old 07-20-18, 03:28 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think the AWD ES will feel slow. 302 hp is up there, and the car isn't overweight. No split folding rear seat is a real disappointment for those of us with bikes or Home Depot projects. Thanks Hoovey for the clear, mini review.
The ES will take the spotlight for about a year, then the UX, and then I suspect something GS and IS will start making waves in two years. Not sure what plan they have with the RC, but a facelift is overdue and sales are sluggish. I don't foresee the LS making any impact for the brand. It's not gaining much attention for an all-new model. I personally feel it's biggest turn-off is sloppy and overdone exterior styling.
Still hoping for an entry level A3-like sedan. Would fill a nice hole in the line-up.
Overall, I think some of Lexus's biggest attributes right now aren't so much their cars, but stellar reliability and amazing dealer service. These two things are probably not talked about much in public or in forums, but are a leading factor in sales.
Old 07-20-18, 05:04 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The new ES awd will be different than what Lexus has in their current cars. It won’t be permanent. It will engage and disengage as needed to overcome fuel economy concerns.
The ones in current Lexus are not permanent either. Take the RX AWD for example. AWD versions can do 100 / 0, 90 / 10, 50 / 50 etc.. most of the time it's biasing power towards the front, sending torque to the wheels with traction in the rear. The 350's have a locking differential that makes it 50 /50 but this is only good up to 40mph, intended for Inclement weather.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't think the AWD ES will feel slow. 302 hp is up there, and the car isn't overweight. No split folding rear seat is a real disappointment for those of us with bikes or Home Depot projects. Thanks Hoovey for the clear, mini review.
The ES will take the spotlight for about a year, then the UX, and then I suspect something GS and IS will start making waves in two years. Not sure what plan they have with the RC, but a facelift is overdue and sales are sluggish. I don't foresee the LS making any impact for the brand. It's not gaining much attention for an all-new model. I personally feel it's biggest turn-off is sloppy and overdone exterior styling.
Still hoping for an entry level A3-like sedan. Would fill a nice hole in the line-up.
Overall, I think some of Lexus's biggest attributes right now aren't so much their cars, but stellar reliability and amazing dealer service. These two things are probably not talked about much in public or in forums, but are a leading factor in sales.
No problem. I'd go more in depth, but I'd like more seat time before giving a more opinionated review. As it stands I drove the ES350, ES350 F-Sport (blue on red - still can't believe it's real), ES300h. The 7ES hits dealers on September 3rd. The UX will be coming around December.

The F-Sport ES has the cool sliding bezel from the LFA. The non F-Sports have gone seriously backwards. Looks old and barely electroluminescent. This picture makes it look better than it did in person

Old 07-20-18, 05:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The ones in current Lexus are not permanent either. Take the RX AWD for example. AWD versions can do 100 / 0, 90 / 10, 50 / 50 etc.. most of the time it's biasing power towards the front, sending torque to the wheels with traction in the rear. The 350's have a locking differential that makes it 50 /50 but this is only good up to 40mph, intended for Inclement weather.

No problem. I'd go more in depth, but I'd like more seat time before giving a more opinionated review. As it stands I drove the ES350, ES350 F-Sport (blue on red - still can't believe it's real), ES300h. The 7ES hits dealers on September 3rd. The UX will be coming around December.

The F-Sport ES has the cool sliding bezel from the LFA. The non F-Sports have gone seriously backwards. Looks old and barely electroluminescent. This picture makes it look better than it did in person

Was just referring to the AWD sedans they have. I didn't know they had that for the RX. Thanks.
Old 07-20-18, 05:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Definitely looking forward to your ES review and from others on CL.
So all non-F-Sport ES's will have the above gauge layout? (Knowing the hybrid will be slightly different.) But it appears a speedo gauge will now be a thing of the past. Kinda like that idea, as the digital readout is more precise at a quick glance.
Agree, the standard gauges need a little more pizzazz for a luxury car.
Old 07-20-18, 05:38 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Was just referring to the AWD sedans they have. I didn't know they had that for the RX. Thanks.
Oh gotcha. No problem.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Definitely looking forward to your ES review and from others on CL.
So all non-F-Sport ES's will have the above gauge layout? (Knowing the hybrid will be slightly different.) But it appears a speedo gauge will now be a thing of the past. Kinda like that idea, as the digital readout is more precise at a quick glance.
Agree, the standard gauges need a little more pizzazz for a luxury car.
Yeah, something about the right side of it for the fuel gauge and engine thermostat screams cheap. Something I'd find on some older American brands. Pizzazz is a good word. It should be more modern and sharp.
Old 07-20-18, 05:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Any update on the LC F with the TT V8 making over 600hp.
When are they putting the TT V6 in it and lowering the price.
Also i think a convertible was rumored.

AWD ES is not very exciting if thats the only update lol
Old 07-20-18, 05:56 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Any update on the LC F with the TT V8 making over 600hp.
When are they putting the TT V6 in it and lowering the price.
Also i think a convertible was rumored.

AWD ES is not very exciting if thats the only update lol
I have no information on the former, sorry. If I hear anything I'll be the first to let y'all know, as I'm sure you'd return the favor.

I agree with you that the TT V6 will find it's way into the LC500. I personally believe it will be tuned to around 450hp if applied to an F vehicle, specifically a new IS F based on the 4IS in the coming years.

Hah yeah AWD ES is not too exciting. The other two tidbits I got were a new GX is coming, as is a new infotainment user interface that returns to touchscreen input.
Old 07-20-18, 06:00 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

someone ask Lexus why the IS has folding seats, but the ES never does.

Did they make the frame so flimsy for weight savings, and then add a V brace there, thinking it would provide the necessary rigidity?
Old 07-20-18, 06:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pman6
someone ask Lexus why the IS has folding seats, but the ES never does.

Did they make the frame so flimsy for weight savings, and then add a V brace there, thinking it would provide the necessary rigidity?
The 7ES continued with the brace for added rigidity. The Germans can do without said brace, and still offer good rigidity and 60/40 split folding rear seats. I just don't get it Lexus
Old 07-20-18, 06:17 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

ES weighs less than the RX, I don't see the addition of AWD a huge disadvantage.

2019 ES350 302hp / 267ft-lb weight 3,649 lbs
2018 RX350 295hp / 267ft-lb weight 4,222 lbs (FWD)
2018 RX350 295hp / 267ft-lb weight 4,387 lbs (AWD)

---

I drove the 2019 ES350 and ES300h on Wednesday. It's no GS replacement, but the ES is the best iteration of the model line yet when it comes to drive feel and powertrain. The steering has better weight to it. The trunk is massive, in regular and hybrid models. Fits 3 large suitcases and then some. The lack of a sunglasses holder and 60/40 split folding seats is still very annoying. Apple CarPlay is smooth and voice commands work well. Amazon Alexa works, but the phone speaker needs to be near and clear, as that is the source it runs through. The hybrid still feels strained, I couldn't really tell the extra 15 horsepower difference. I'd trust the 4mpg mileage increase. The 8-Speed Auto on the 350 is smooth. I don't understand why there is still no COMFORT mode on the AVS equipped models. The acoustic windshield helps make the cabin quieter, limiting road and wind noise compared to the current model.

Nice to see there are improvements. How about the interior and build quality feel? Step up? Prior gen had some moderately cheap door panels and hard plastics.
Old 07-20-18, 06:28 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice to see there are improvements. How about the interior and build quality feel? Step up? Prior gen had some moderately cheap door panels and hard plastics.
Build quality feels slightly improved, panel gaps are taut, though material content especially door bezels, console bezels still feels cheap just like the 6ES pre-refresh. It's not rough plastic, smooth (kind of waxy to the touch) but feels like it's from the lowest bidder smh.

Quick Reply: Future of Lexus discussion 2018