Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
That is incorrect. The K5 designation dates all the way back to the original Blazer in 1969, which was spun off from Chevrolet's C/K line of trucks. It is not a an internal code, but a model line designation.

The K5 fender emblem shows up on older full size Blazers and is part of a large aftermarket industry supplying restorers. Why would Chevy want to use K5 to differentiate the big Blazer from the baby Blazer when people could obviously see the difference in front of their eyes?
Perhaps all true, however in the marketing print ads I posted, it was just called the "Blazer" And the second gen was a K1500 Blazer I believe
Old 11-21-18, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Happy to be of service.
It takes a village lol
Old 02-21-19, 09:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I tried to warm up to this. But the interior is just not up to snuff. To think GM wants $55K CN for this thing is stunning. The Camaro dials for HVAC were cheesy. Hard to believe GM is slapping the Blazer name on this
Old 02-22-19, 12:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I tried to warm up to this. But the interior is just not up to snuff. To think GM wants $55K CN for this thing is stunning. The Camaro dials for HVAC were cheesy. Hard to believe GM is slapping the Blazer name on this
Simply a money grab trying to use a legendary name. Shame because the upcoming Bronco will be closer to the originals spirit. Would of loved to see Bronco and Blazer square off once again.
Old 02-22-19, 02:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Simply a money grab trying to use a legendary name. Shame because the upcoming Bronco will be closer to the originals spirit. Would of loved to see Bronco and Blazer square off once again.
Yes, agree. You are quite right.
Old 02-24-19, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure where the reverence for the Blazer name comes from. I've always found the S10/smaller Blazer to be a crappy vehicle when compared to similar Explorers, 4Runners, etc.
Old 02-24-19, 06:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm not sure where the reverence for the Blazer name comes from. I've always found the S10/smaller Blazer to be a crappy vehicle when compared to similar Explorers, 4Runners, etc.
It is important for people with the Blazer name, as the original name was from a truck based type of vehicle which kind of appeals to a different segment than the new model. The new Blazer is just like any other cross-over whereas if they made the Blazer off the Colorado/Canyon design, it would be more fitting.
Old 02-24-19, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It is important for people with the Blazer name, as the original name was from a truck based type of vehicle which kind of appeals to a different segment than the new model. The new Blazer is just like any other cross-over whereas if they made the Blazer off the Colorado/Canyon design, it would be more fitting.
And? So? The Explorer was a truck based product and now is a unibody crossover. The Pathfinder was a truck based product and now is a unibody crossover. Both the Explorer and the Pathfinder had/have strong followers of fans that don't like their new models.

A Blazer off the Colorado/Canyon platform wouldn't be the sort of vehicle buyers today want. I drove BOF SUVs for a long time, I don't want one again. Give me a unibody crossover any day, I can go more "off-roadey" with a Grand Cherokee, I can go more "on-Roady" with an Explorer, all while having a vehicle with much better space efficiency and driving comfort than I would with a BOF design.

Modern SUV buyers want crossovers by and large. Can't blame GM for building what buyers buy.
Old 02-24-19, 07:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

A Blazer off the Colorado/Canyon platform wouldn't be the sort of vehicle buyers today want. I drove BOF SUVs for a long time, I don't want one again. Give me a unibody crossover any day, I can go more "off-roadey" with a Grand Cherokee, I can go more "on-Roady" with an Explorer, all while having a vehicle with much better space efficiency and driving comfort than I would with a BOF design.

Modern SUV buyers want crossovers by and large. Can't blame GM for building what buyers buy.
For sure.

And? So? The Explorer was a truck based product and now is a unibody crossover. The Pathfinder was a truck based product and now is a unibody crossover. Both the Explorer and the Pathfinder had/have strong followers of fans that don't like their new models.
And you are right about the bold names, which would apply to the Blazer. But it just does not seem like a Blazer to me, based on what I remember what the Blazer used to be.
Old 02-24-19, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And you are right about the bold names, which would apply to the Blazer. But it just does not seem like a Blazer to me, based on what I remember what the Blazer used to be.
And everybody said the exact same thing about the Explorer and Pathfinder at the time. BUT, hundreds of thousands of people bought them. What matters is that people buy the product, not what people on some forum who drive examples 10+ years old say.
Old 02-24-19, 07:45 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gm has used the "Blazer" name every which way. It shouldn't be any surprise that is was reborn as a crossover when crossovers are the #1 segment. I think it depends perhaps on how old you are that determines what comes to mind when you hear "Blazer". I'm 40 and the model that first comes to mind is actually the Trailblazer (2002-). Then there's the S-10 Blazers I remember. The original K5 Blazer doesn't come to my mind at all. "Blazer" is whatever GM says is a Blazer in any given decade.

What is inexcusable is Mitsubishi using the Eclipse name for their latest crossover.
Old 02-24-19, 08:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Gm has used the "Blazer" name every which way. It shouldn't be any surprise that is was reborn as a crossover when crossovers are the #1 segment. I think it depends perhaps on how old you are that determines what comes to mind when you hear "Blazer". I'm 40 and the model that first comes to mind is actually the Trailblazer (2002-). Then there's the S-10 Blazers I remember. The original K5 Blazer doesn't come to my mind at all. "Blazer" is whatever GM says is a Blazer in any given decade.

What is inexcusable is Mitsubishi using the Eclipse name for their latest crossover.
I do agree with everything you are saying.
Old 02-24-19, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I drove BOF SUVs for a long time, I don't want one again. Give me a unibody crossover any day,
Got tired of bouncing around with that kidney-pounding ride?

Some BOF SUVs, today, though, are quite comfortable...particularly the long-wheelbase Expedition, but you obviously won't buy one for chump-change.

My next-door neighbor came home, a few days ago, with a new regular-wheelbase Expedition Limited....but I have another thread going on that.
Old 02-25-19, 06:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As was part of the discussion earlier in the thread, I would see the Blazer name more intended to refer to the original Blazer from the 70s and 80s, which competed with the Bronco. Maybe it's just an age thing; the name "Blazer" to me, without this discussion, never made me think S10 Blazer.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-25-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 10:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Just because you don't like body on frame SUV's for city driving doesn't mean that they don't have a place. They are far superior to CUV's when it comes to off-roading.

Ford bringing the Bronco back as a body on frame SUV is an answer to a loud call for it.

Resurrecting a nameplate and using it for an entirely different kind of vehicle is pandering. It's the automaker trying to appeal to the nostalgia of the old vehicle without delivering what actually made that vehicle a fan favorite. The Dodge Charger, the Chevy Blazer, the Mitsubishi Eclipse(now a CUV), the 2011+ Ford Explorer, etc. They are all examples of this. Imagine if Toyota said "We're bringing back the MR2" and it ends up being a 4 door midsize sedan.

The excitement for the Blazer name mostly dates back to the older K-10 blazer, which was based on the 1500 truck platform. It was a 2 door, short wheelbase monster that was well loved in the off-road community. GM later replaced it with the S-10 blazer(my parents owned the GMC Jimmy version of this).

Quick Reply: 2019 Chevy Blazer