Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 09:03 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You're the only person on earth who would LOL
Literally.
Old 06-14-18, 09:25 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Let's rephrase this question: If someone offered you, for FREE (you never pay for insurance, maintenance, gas, tires, etc, etc), either a Corvette or a Ferrari, who would choose the Corvette?
well i'd honestly specify which one lol because if it was between something like a mondial or a c6 zr1 in that blue i'm definitely going vette. i get your point though it'd be ferrari just about every time.
Old 06-14-18, 09:50 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Of note, the 2006 Z06 in the video that Stroock639 posted was quicker round the Top Gear track than the (then current) F430..
Old 06-15-18, 04:07 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

I recently rented a Sting Ray from Avis. It was okay in the city driving, but horribly noisy on freeways between Orlando/Tampa/Sarasota. I can't say anything about Ferrari since I've never driven one. However, the one biggest thing that has prevented me from owning one is the cost of maintenances.
I want to see the mid-engined C8.
Old 06-15-18, 04:41 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

ZR1 and a 488GTB are both 210 mph vehicles. I don’t have the chance right now to look up the numbers exactly but 60MPH are close

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timein...g%3fsource=dam

https://www.caranddriver.com/ferrari/488gtb

This whole threas is absurd.
Its like comparing a G90 to a Rolls Royce Phantom.

Corvette has an old school OHV V8 in the front. The interior is better by Corvette standards.
ZR1 is about $130-140k and for that $$$ i would probably take an R8 or AMG GTR.

Ferrari is a mid-engine supercar with all the latest tech and engine development.
If you put the SAME tires on both cars, it will run circles around the ZR1.

Corvette is a great car for what it is but its more of a 911 competition. Obviously the new C8 will be a game changer.
Old 06-15-18, 04:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

This whole threas is absurd.
Its like comparing a G90 to a Rolls Royce Phantom.

Corvette has an old school OHV V8 in the front. The interior is better by Corvette standards.
ZR1 is about $130-140k and for that $$$ i would probably take an R8 or AMG GTR.

Ferrari is a mid-engine supercar with all the latest tech and engine development.
If you put the SAME tires on both cars, it will run circles around the ZR1.

Corvette is a great car for what it is but its more of a 911 competition. Obviously the new C8 will be a game changer.
LOL. I posted an article where the ZR1 keeps pace or out paces a Ferrari. Chevrolet has some pretty amazing engineering going on here. Don’t be so negative on the Vette.
Old 06-15-18, 04:59 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

You posted a video released by Chevy about testing ZR1.
Its not tested against any Ferrari.

You do realize the ZR1 runs on pretty much track only tires.

Im not discounting the Vette but its not as good as a 488GTB in any measure except value for performance.
I can buy 3 ZR1s for price of GTB! Lol
Old 06-15-18, 05:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
You posted a video released by Chevy about testing ZR1.
Its not tested against any Ferrari.

You do realize the ZR1 runs on pretty much track only tires.

Im not discounting the Vette but its not as good as a 488GTB in any measure except value for performance.
I can buy 3 ZR1s for price of GTB! Lol
mmmmm performance seems pretty stunning. pushrod or OHC which nobody wants to elaborate on. I think it’s V8 vs V12 as well. Vette is still street legal with those tires. It’s some pretty awesome engineering by Chevrolet. Not sure who comes close. Maybe Acura with the NSX or the Ford GT
Old 06-15-18, 05:37 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would.....hands-down. With its noisy, kidney-pounding ride, though, and being almost worthless in bad weather, I probably wouldn't drive it very often. I'm somewhat of a GM fan, and get outstanding service from my local Chevy/Buick/GMC shop, whether that service is free or I pay for it.

I DO like one thing about Ferraris, though, that I wish other manufacturers would copy.....the gated shifters for the manual transmission. With a number of three-pedal cars, downshifts, especially with notch or imprecise shift-linkage, can be enough guesswork to risk overspeeding the engine or over-taxing the synchros unless one is adept at heel-and-toe shifting or double-clutching. The gated shifter takes all that guesswork out of the shift...just pop the lever into the right slot and Bingo, you're set. A light on the dash, showing you what gear you are in, would also help, but, for some reason, most manufacturers do that only with automatics and manual-mode automatic shifting, not with true three-pedal cars where that light would help the most. The Nissan 370Z, if you have not driven one (I have) also has a nice feature that you don't often see on other three-pedal cars...computer rev-matching on downshifts, which takes a lot of potential stress off the synchros. The feature can be turned off if desired (or if you want to heel-and-toe it LOL)
The fact that your answer refers to "kidney-pounding" ride just shows that this is truly an academic discussion.

And do Ferraris still have a gated shifter? Aren't they all dual clutch "automatics" with paddle shifters now?
Old 06-15-18, 05:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i'd honestly specify which one lol because if it was between something like a mondial or a c6 zr1 in that blue i'm definitely going vette. i get your point though it'd be ferrari just about every time.
I do realize that the question would need to be have a bit more detail to be "realistic"....
Old 06-15-18, 05:44 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Now you want to put the Vette against a Ford GT which costs 4x the Vette if you could get an allocation, made by craftspeople in Canada.

The NSX is an engineering showcase, not the fastest car on the street, with hybrid tach, a bespoke engine and tranny to provide a package that gives the average shmow driver like me accessible performance while being easy to live with.

Do you believe the world is flat?
Old 06-15-18, 07:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Do you believe the world is flat?
Hey, no need to get so personal.
Old 06-15-18, 08:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

mmmmm performance seems pretty stunning. pushrod or OHC which nobody wants to elaborate on.

Is Corvette the last car on the face of the Earth produced with 2 valves/cylinder? I guess it's "stunning" engineering to get that performance from 1980s tech?
Old 06-15-18, 08:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Is Corvette the last car on the face of the Earth produced with 2 valves/cylinder? I guess it's "stunning" engineering to get that performance from 1980s tech?
what difference does it make? It outperformed the Ferarri in the two posts that I showed comparos.
Old 06-15-18, 09:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The point is a car like a Ferrari is not just about how quickly it accelerates or can go around a track.

Quick Reply: Could a Corvette be better than a Ferrari?