Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ugliest new or announced vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 10:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the 'self-loathing' design style.
HA, that's the perfect description.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that cars like the Prius, Clarity, and 1Gen Honda Insight are purposely designed to look odd by our standards, because they are marketed primarily to a type of environmentalist buyer that often is anti-car in the first place, and certainly not an auto enthusiast in the same sense that we are. They ride bicycles for a lot of their local day-to-day errands (and sometimes for commuting), and basically use the car only for rainy days or for going distances that are unfeasible for bicycles.
Why can't they look unique without assaulting every neuron in our brains.
Old 04-19-18, 12:15 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the new Toyota Avalon and Honda Accord are winners for me from some angles they just don't look good both are way overstyled. The new Lexus RX L doesn't look good to me either the 2-row looks better but not by much. Most mini CUVs don't attract me either, Hyundai Kona, Ford Ecosport, Toyota CH-R, and the upcoming Nissan Kicks. The upcoming Kia K900 is nothing special either I never even see the current ones except at a luxury used car lot wonder why they even bothered to redesign it.
Old 04-20-18, 10:02 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I think the new Toyota Avalon and Honda Accord are winners for me from some angles they just don't look good both are way overstyled. The new Lexus RX L doesn't look good to me either the 2-row looks better but not by much. Most mini CUVs don't attract me either, Hyundai Kona, Ford Ecosport, Toyota CH-R, and the upcoming Nissan Kicks. The upcoming Kia K900 is nothing special either I never even see the current ones except at a luxury used car lot wonder why they even bothered to redesign it.
I agree when it comes to compact utes. However, I will say the CH-R, while not beautiful, has way more of an identity than anything else on sale, though the CX-3 is also distinctive. I saw the Ecosport in person and it's kinda blah, but not to the point of causing eye damage.

The Accord just doesn't look right. I keep seeing them on the road and can't get used to the rear - just... weird to me how the taillights are shaped.
Old 04-20-18, 05:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The beauty & the beast?
Next to the 7ES, would the 5LS be "one of" the ugliest new releases?

The 5GS will be better again.
The 4IS even more so.
TMC is not stupid; like anybody, they do learn from their mistakes...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-20-18 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 07:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Peteharvey, what does your post have to do with the thread topic?
Old 04-20-18, 09:21 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Peteharvey, what does your post have to do with the thread topic?
Next to the 7ES, would the 5LS be one of the uglier new releases?
Old 04-21-18, 08:17 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Not sure about that, but what I am certain of is that the 5LS will be the ugliest flagship sedan on the road.
Old 04-21-18, 09:06 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
HA, that's the perfect description.

Why can't they look unique without assaulting every neuron in our brains.
If these super efficient hybrid cars looked more like normal gas cars, I wouldn't mind owning one. The only hybrid only drivetrain vehicles that look good are the i8 and Fisker.

Why should we be forced to drive something like the Clarity just to save gas?
Old 04-21-18, 10:01 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the maxima is pretty fugly...

SO much wrong with this design, smh.
Old 04-21-18, 02:47 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
my vote is the Tesla model X and model 3. they looky frumpy and hideous to me
I agree, but much more so for the ugly Model 3. It looks like an egg. I know the idea was to "shatter traditional design conventions" or some other marketing speak but it just does not look beautiful to me. It's not even the lack of a traditional grille despite the extensive coolant running through the battery packs and oil through the motor drive units (I'm unsure if there is any external oil cooler for those however). It's just a very scrunched, egg-shaped car that doesn't look good to me. And the interior, with the protruding tablet screen that forces you to look away from the road to so many menus and the complete lack of simple instrumentation or even a HUD display which is supposed to make you agree that "you won't care" that such things are absent (sorry Elon... I do) because you'll be more interested in the Autopilot function than an engaging driver-centric experience.

It's sad because so far the reviews have pointed towards exceptional handling and brisk acceleration. Why cripple such good attributes by making it look ugly outside and unappealing inside? I guess this one stands out to me because given the intentions of a new American automaker to sell a truly mass-market electric car that isn't a compromise and is actually appealing I expect them to do something pretty good... and the result is, so far, very underwhelming.

The Model X... that's also egg-shaped but it's not that different from the sea of homogenized SUVs from almost every manufacturer wanting to cash in on the popularity of heavy, ugly AWD people movers that 97% of owners will never use for more than city driving and in only a fraction of cases even to tow something from a hitch.

Their Model S, however, despite the annoying size of the center touchscreen and button-averse interior design, is a decent and very nice looking luxury car.

...which also, like the Model X, happens to have a simple instrument cluster/display in front of the driver behind the steering wheel.

The Model 3 looks like a squished Model S. It gives the impression that rather than emphasizing individual personalities for each of their vehicles they only have one general idea of how a car (or SUV) should look and that when you go downmarket from the Model S you get the same thing... just the 2/3rds size version... that's missing a few very basic things on the driver's side that even a $14k Mitsubishi Mirage (or even a Mitsubishi MiEV) has.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-21-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-21-18, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Their Model S, however, despite the annoying size of the center touchscreen and button-averse interior design, is a decent and very nice looking luxury car.
I dislike this term when talking about the Model S and Model X. Their interiors are premium at best. Touch some of the materials in the cabin and you'll understand why. Tesla is a premium electric vehicle manufacturer, that charges luxury prices, which is no surprise considering some of the features and technology, but the interior leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully a second generation Model S will improve material selection.
Old 04-21-18, 09:01 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Not sure about that, but what I am certain of is that the 5LS will be the ugliest flagship sedan on the road.

Below is a far better rear end that also uses six sided windows; though it could do with a chrome trim above the licence plate - but we can't ask too much, because the G80 is literally only half the price.
Might be roomier than 5LS too...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-21-18 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 10:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
i personally don't think so... the 7es looks really good to me, although i'm no giant spindle fan. I'm less a fan of the exterior of the new LS, like it's trying too hard with too many curves and lines and front overhang is too long, but i wouldn't call it one of the ugliest new vehicles!
Old 04-22-18, 02:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Tail lights on that Genesis look like something you'd find on Ebay for $199.
Old 04-22-18, 02:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Tail lights on that Genesis look like something you'd find on Ebay for $199.

In that case, then, that $199 is quite a bargain.

Quick Reply: Ugliest new or announced vehicles