Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Traffic light timer

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 06:46 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Traffic light timer

Just came across this interesting article about smart intersections in Washington DC that allow your Audi to display the amount of time left before the light changes.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/14/...washington-dc/
Old 03-14-18, 10:28 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Who really needs this? It just seems to me it will encourage drag racing.
Old 03-14-18, 10:37 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Or would it be the opposite? It would tell the Audi driver that it's time to put the YouTube down, or the email, or the video game or the face time? I was behind a Mini yesterday, that at every intersection, the woman had her head down, and it would be a good 4 sec before she would even move her vehicle, AFTER I HONKED. I start out with a tap, then two taps, but after 4 consecutive intersections of the same behavior, I'm like that NYC delivery van driving for amazon.
Old 03-14-18, 10:41 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Who really needs this? It just seems to me it will encourage drag racing.
That is an interesting thought, I didn' think of that scenario. I was wondering if it can help supplement navigation routes or help cool road rage and those in a rush because now you know exactly how much longer the light will take.
Old 03-14-18, 10:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

How about smarter lights, so I'm not sitting there for several minutes when no one is coming in any direction just because it's on a timer. Really grinds my gears
Old 03-14-18, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
How about smarter lights, so I'm not sitting there for several minutes when no one is coming in any direction just because it's on a timer. Really grinds my gears
Agreed.....there are a lot of intersections that don't get much traffic like, say, on early Sunday morning, when many people are home asleep. Those lights could easily be left on flashing yellow or red instead of the timers.
Old 03-14-18, 12:27 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

My ghetto area lights are equipped with those "smart" sensors that will change lights for your direction flow if there is no opposite flow of traffic. I believe the sensors are a few meters before the crossing lanes.
Old 03-14-18, 03:02 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Smart traffic lights require minimal technology yet many cities are slow to adopt. The frustration I experienced each week typically involves sitting at dummy traffic lights along major thoroughfares with no other vehicle traffic crossing the intersection. I travel the same routes each week and catch every traffic red light without fail. I’m using a formula to calculate how much time these dummy traffic lights adds to my commute each week and month.

Last edited by Propulsion; 03-14-18 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 05:15 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Traffic signal installation and maintenance is typically underfunded in most Cities and Counties and localities because Signals don't vote! They are at the bottom of the barrel of budgets. Actuated signals with sensors in the pavement require maintenance which requires a crew that requires city employees. A lot Cities actually don't do anything until they get a Federal or State grant. Also, traffic signals are used as speed control. They want you to stop and wait. Many traffic signals are not justified but are put up due to political pressure. So unless it is a State intersection you need to address your concerns to the local boards.
Old 03-15-18, 05:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I used to pass by a light on City Line Ave. at 5:30 AM, and the light would turn red for a Sears hardware center plaza. I thought that's dumb.

I think NYC synchronized traffic signals circa 1940, so the fact that not everywhere does that, is either by design, or lack of competence. My buddy said he could drive from Baldwin, LI, to midtown Manhattan, never stopping for a single red if he drove the correct speed--that may be over 25 miles.

The one that I think is stupid is when we miss 3 opportunities to make a left turn (3 cycles of green lights), because the car in front is not up to the inductive loops near the stop line, and they ignore everyone honking. You would think they could put the phone dowe, and reflect, how come through 3 cycles of the light, there was never a turn arrow?