Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Six-month-update on my Lacrosse

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 07:32 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so from reading the other deciphering posts, i think you're saying your former colleague parked a rental car, the engine went off by itself with the stop/start and because the engine was off, he thought he was done and just got out and left it. but no, after he'd left the engine came back on and ran and ran until he came back to the car 12 hours later? it's hard to see how this is possible. dislclaimer i don't have this feature on my car but first off, why would the start/stop continue if the door is opened? why would it continue if the key fob is outside the car, or the car is in park, etc, etc.?

if it can continue after someone has parked, put the car in park, got out, locked the car, then that's a TERRIBLE design flaw.
Yup. BMW's A/S/S system requires you to restart the car by pressing the ignition button if the system shuts the engine down and you open the driver door.
Old 03-07-18, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Yup. BMW's A/S/S system requires you to restart the car by pressing the ignition button if the system shuts the engine down and you open the driver door.
makes sense.
Old 03-08-18, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Back to topic. Anyhow, in a nutshell, though I have a lot of respect for the way the Genesis G80 and Kia Cadenza are built (and their warranties), the long-term reliability of the Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES350 (despite some of thin, lightweight materials inside), and for the better (conventional) shifter and controls in the Chevy Impala, I'm not one bit sorry or disappointed in choosing a Lacrosse...as with my previous Verano, I look forward to driving it nearly every day. And, given the number of reliability-complaints on the 2017 in Consumer Reports, I'm even more glad I waited for the 2018....that was maybe the wisest decision of all.

I just hope GM doesn't drop this car (and the Chevy Impala)...which, given the slow sales, is a distinct possibility. Next time (probably in about 4-5 years), that would probably force me over to the Genesis or Lincoln shop....unless Ford also decides to drop the Lincoln MKZ.
Old 03-08-18, 07:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

is the lacrosse sold in china?
Old 03-08-18, 08:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I just hope GM doesn't drop this car (and the Chevy Impala)...which, given the slow sales, is a distinct possibility. Next time (probably in about 4-5 years), that would probably force me over to the Genesis or Lincoln shop....unless Ford also decides to drop the Lincoln MKZ.
My guess is the LaCrosse is dropped sooner than later. Sales don’t seem to be doing that well.
Old 03-08-18, 08:19 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

My guess is the LaCrosse is dropped sooner than later. Sales don’t seem to be doing that well.
imho Buick has fought the fact that they appeal to an older crowd, in general. It was big news to get the avg. to 59. On forums, you'll get the, "My wife and I are 27 and 26 respectively, I don't know what they're talking about." But these are outliers, as forums tend to attract enthusiasts. There was this family around the corner where the wife had this ruby red Enclave, and the husband had a Lacrosse, and I would say they were 30 if that. But they're not typical of the buyers of Buick (my wife thinks that red is sharp, pretty sure it's a pearl). And then again, there's China, where the brand image is strong. Embrace the people who are buying the vehicles!
Old 03-08-18, 08:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
they sold almost 2000 in february in the u.s. while not hitting it out of the park, that's better than 'not doing that well'.

i know you want it to fail for some reason, but it's not.
Old 03-08-18, 09:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall: one thing about the lacrosse and your experience and wanting it is you said you wanted a 'big buick' like you had decades ago but this really isn't a very big buick. it's just slightly bigger than a camry.
Old 03-08-18, 09:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

It looks like there currently is a $4,500 purchase allowance on the 17's or 1.9% for 60 months. This should help to boost sales in the short term as they clear out the older model.

$2,000 on the 18's.
Old 03-08-18, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
mmarshall: one thing about the lacrosse and your experience and wanting it is you said you wanted a 'big buick' like you had decades ago but this really isn't a very big buick. it's just slightly bigger than a camry.
Size-wise, of course it is not like the big American cars of the 1960s...that pretty much goes without saying. But it is Buick's flagship American market sedan today, the largest sedan it offers here (though a Holden-based RWD Park Avenue is offered in China...I've posted images of that one before), and I'm certainly not disappointed. And, unlike the big Electra I owned in college, this one has a reliable/efficient fuel-injection system (no carburetor quirks), a reliable electronic-ignition system (no periodic tune-ups), two to three times the average fuel mileage (on cheaper regular fuel to boot), responsive rack-and-pinon steering instead of recirculating-ball and its notorious slop, a modern clearcoat paint job that doesn't fade almost overnight like the GM acrylic lacquer paint of the 60s/70s, and 4-wheel disc brakes that don't fade with use. And it is a lot easier to park and maneuver. My college-days Electra, though, had a somewhat softer-suspension, softer-riding tires, a cloth front bench-seat that was so soft and cushy to sit in it was like your living room sofa, a Super Turbine 400 automatic transmission (somewhat different from the regular Turbo-Hydra-Matic used by the other GM divisions) that, at the time, was considered to be the smoothest automatic in the world, and a nice hood ornament.
Old 03-08-18, 12:40 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I drive an RX 450h. Being a Toyota hybrid, the starter motor is bolted directly to the engine flywheel and can spin the engine up in a fraction of a second. Really remarkable in that it's almost completely unnoticeable.

How do the start-stop systems on other cars work? The traditional pinion-gear on the flywheel?
Old 03-08-18, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
I drive an RX 450h. Being a Toyota hybrid, the starter motor is bolted directly to the engine flywheel and can spin the engine up in a fraction of a second. Really remarkable in that it's almost completely unnoticeable.
Most of the stop/start systems I've tried recently were virtually unnoticeable, though some, even on the same vehicle, vary slightly from almost completely seamless to a noticeable but small bump. The overall smoothest one of all, from what I've seen, is on the Kia Cadenza.
Old 03-08-18, 10:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a good example of what I consider the car's only real quirk. Observe, in the first video, around the 1:37-1:45 mark, that the two yellow warning lights to the upper-right of the speedometer come on with the ignition, and are briefly-followed for a split-second (in the same space) by two red engine warning-lights. Then, observe, in the second video, at the 1:48 mark, the same two yellow lights come on, but the two red lights do not come on afterward. Other times, a different single red light will show up in the same space. Most of the time, with my car (but not all the time) it's like the second video....just the two yellow lights, and no reds. Weird.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-08-18 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-09-18, 05:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

How do the start-stop systems on other cars work? The traditional pinion-gear on the flywheel?
They are specifically designed to do what they do, meaning, it's not the same as taking a regular car, and shutting it down at an intersection, and starting it back up--this imho would be excessive wear.

I spent 4 mos. with a BMW 328i loaner, and I liked it, felt confident it added 1 to 1.5 mpg to my commute since it's mostly city driving. Also, I was impressed that even in the blazing summer, there are times the motor is off, and the a/c is still cold, and when it can't provide cold air, the motor starts up on its own. Some coworkers who own cars that have it in the office say they disable since they feel there's wear/tear. But if leased, I would say no way should that be disabled, take the fuel savings...
Old 03-09-18, 05:12 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I understand that cars with auto-stop systems used beefed-up, higher-torque starters that smooth out the starts and allow them to withstand higher frequency use. In addition, when the engine is stopped, it is done so with pistons and valves in certain positions that allow for quicker, easier startup.

Quick Reply: Six-month-update on my Lacrosse