Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Six-month-update on my Lacrosse

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My former colleague who is a really smart guy explained why he left a rental running for 12 hours because of the stop/start
i don't understand this at all...
Old 03-07-18, 08:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't understand this at all...
There are documented cases of CO poisoning from people doing the same at home. I believe it stems from the notion of a smart key, and you have left the vehicle with it, therefore it is smart enough to shut itself off? Not really because that seems like a stretch. At any rate, I'm sure that these victims blame the mfg. and the design, which is why it would not surprise me for it to be removed. There really isn't any real purpose, of the button for start/stop, rather it's a novelty like fake dual exhausts that serve no purpose. You can still have a smart key with a twisting action, like the LS430 and Porsche.
Old 03-07-18, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Oh well, I should have known better. I set myself up for the history lesson and your contrarian ways.

Simply my opinion, which you asked for....and I gave my reasons supporting it. If you find that "contrary" or "history-laden", so be it.
Old 03-07-18, 10:42 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Maybe the next thing to go is the engine start/stop. I could never understand why people leave the vehicles running then are injured from CO poisoning as a result. My former colleague who is a really smart guy explained why he left a rental running for 12 hours because of the stop/start, but I didn't understand his reasoning to tell you the truth. Is it like leaving your car in uncovered airport parking, with all the windows down, while you fly somewhere? Buick had a commercial like that, so maybe I'm the one who's not understanding or not normal lol
I've been trying to understand what you have been talking about concerning the "start/stop" feature. I Just realized you're probably talking about the start/stop button relative to the keyless entry system. The discussion on Mike's Buick is relative to the system that shuts off the engine when the car stops and starts it again when ready to move. It is a gas saving and pollution reducing feature and has no effect on carbon monoxide poisoning overnight. Is this correct?
Old 03-07-18, 11:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are documented cases of CO poisoning from people doing the same at home. I believe it stems from the notion of a smart key, and you have left the vehicle with it, therefore it is smart enough to shut itself off? Not really because that seems like a stretch. At any rate, I'm sure that these victims blame the mfg. and the design, which is why it would not surprise me for it to be removed. There really isn't any real purpose, of the button for start/stop, rather it's a novelty like fake dual exhausts that serve no purpose. You can still have a smart key with a twisting action, like the LS430 and Porsche.
Which means: he pulled in the garage; left everything on in the car; forgot to turn the car off; ignored the beeping the car makes when you get out of the car with the key fob (or just left the fob in the car); the car restarted on its own (which my BMW does after a minute or 2 sometimes if the A/C is on, etc), and didn't notice.

At what point do people take personal responsibility for their actions or inactions? If driving a car is so complicated that you can't remember to shut it off, sell it and take Uber. Or set the auto start/stop on off so it doesn't shut off.
Old 03-07-18, 11:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Which means: he pulled in the garage; left everything on in the car; forgot to turn the car off; ignored the beeping the car makes when you get out of the car with the key fob (or just left the fob in the car); the car restarted on its own (which my BMW does after a minute or 2 sometimes if the A/C is on, etc), and didn't notice.

At what point do people take personal responsibility for their actions or inactions? If driving a car is so complicated that you can't remember to shut it off, sell it and take Uber. Or set the auto start/stop on off so it doesn't shut off.
Yes, correct, I was referring to the start/stop aka push button start. It all comes back to design and the user. For the door, personally, I think that using the same button, to lock and unlock, is a bad design. This was on the Maxima, Murano, and I think Pathfinder that I recently rented. So for me, I used the smartkey the old fashioned way, I pressed lock to lock, unlock to unlock. On my LS430, the black button is for locking only. On my BMW, there are no buttons, it's all inductive. I agree, if a car is not locked, if it's left running, that's the user's responsibility to understand how it works.

On the stop/start system, as I understand it, Buick's system is good. I saw it described online by GM. I always use it on BMW loaners, and I feel confident that it adds about 1 to 1.5 mpg to my commute (from 4 mos. of experience in a 328i). I even feel better that I'm not burning fuel at stoplights...with the BMW it even handles heat and a/c well when the motor is off. My BMW does not have this system, is a stick, but does have heat for maybe 30 min. with the motor off. I understand that sticks also have the stop/start,even though sticks are a dying breed...
Old 03-07-18, 02:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I've been trying to understand what you have been talking about concerning the "start/stop" feature. I Just realized you're probably talking about the start/stop button relative to the keyless entry system. The discussion on Mike's Buick is relative to the system that shuts off the engine when the car stops and starts it again when ready to move. It is a gas saving and pollution reducing feature and has no effect on carbon monoxide poisoning overnight. Is this correct?
Yes. On my car, if you try and shut the door and walk away, with the engine running like that (or make some other bone-headed move with the fob, doors, and ignition system), the horn beeps rapidly three times as a warning.
Old 03-07-18, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I must be honest. I am glad Lexus has stayed out of the start/stop technology crap.
Old 03-07-18, 03:21 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I must be honest. I am glad Lexus has stayed out of the start/stop technology crap.
Not for long. Toyotas have it. Lexus isn't exempt from CAFE requirements.
Old 03-07-18, 03:24 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not for long. Toyotas have it. Lexus isn't exempt from CAFE requirements.
Toyota has it on their Highlander. You can turn it off. I would of expected the new LS500 to have it, it does not. Neither does the RX which is the same engine as the HL.
Old 03-07-18, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Some of the Lexus hybrids might have it. I don't particularly like it myself, though my experience is that it does help save gas...that's not just a bunch of ad-hype.
Old 03-07-18, 04:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some of the Lexus hybrids might have it. I don't particularly like it myself, though my experience is that it does help save gas...that's not just a bunch of ad-hype.
Yes correct. Hybrids do have a non defeatable system.
Old 03-07-18, 04:27 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There are major differences between the start/stop system on conventional cars and the systems on Lexus hybrids. The hybrid is designed to have the ICE shut off for significant periods. One big example here in Tucson is the air conditioner. On a conventional car, when the engine stops, the A/C compressor stops and the A/C pretty quickly quits blowing cold air. On the Lexus hybrids, the compressor is electrically powered so runs at peak efficiency independent of what the ICE is doing. The hybrid system may also start the ICE while the car is stopped and the computer needs the ICE to run for some reason.
Old 03-07-18, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
There are major differences between the start/stop system on conventional cars and the systems on Lexus hybrids. The hybrid is designed to have the ICE shut off for significant periods. One big example here in Tucson is the air conditioner. On a conventional car, when the engine stops, the A/C compressor stops and the A/C pretty quickly quits blowing cold air. On the Lexus hybrids, the compressor is electrically powered so runs at peak efficiency independent of what the ICE is doing. The hybrid system may also start the ICE while the car is stopped and the computer needs the ICE to run for some reason.
The GM system gets around that issue by simply not shutting off when there is a major load on the A/C.
Old 03-07-18, 05:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,438 Posts

My former colleague who is a really smart guy explained why he left a rental running for 12 hours because of the stop/start,
so from reading the other deciphering posts, i think you're saying your former colleague parked a rental car, the engine went off by itself with the stop/start and because the engine was off, he thought he was done and just got out and left it. but no, after he'd left the engine came back on and ran and ran until he came back to the car 12 hours later? it's hard to see how this is possible. dislclaimer i don't have this feature on my car but first off, why would the start/stop continue if the door is opened? why would it continue if the key fob is outside the car, or the car is in park, etc, etc.?

if it can continue after someone has parked, put the car in park, got out, locked the car, then that's a TERRIBLE design flaw.

Quick Reply: Six-month-update on my Lacrosse