Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota 2019 TRD Pro trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 10:07 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Toyota 2019 TRD Pro trucks

Toyota Racing Development is unveiling its next generation family of TRD Pro off-road trucks for 2019 at the Chicago Auto Show, bringing performance features like high-tech suspension components to the entire lineup, a new 4Runner roof rack and an air intake snorkel to the Tacoma.

The entire TRD Pro family — the Toyota Tundra, 4Runner and Tacoma — gets aluminum-bodied 2.5-inch TRD Fox Internal Bypass shocks. They're tuned for the specific characteristics of each vehicle by TRD engineers and offer improved dampening for on- and off-road driving situations. The Fox shocks replace the external bypass tubes typically used on off-road race vehicles to manage damping pressure by compactly incorporating multiple bypass zones inside of the shock absorber, offering a cushioned, plush ride while still providing for bottoming resistance. They also combine high-temperature shock fluid and nitrogen gas pressure to handle bumps and reinforce the seals.

Front shocks are also paired with specially tuned TRD springs, which add to ride comfort and give each TRD Pro truck an aggressive, higher stance for the trail. The rear Fox shocks pair with a piggyback reservoir to hold extra oil volume, which helps maintain peak damping performance during extreme use. Each model features a distinct rear spring configuration, and TRD dust boots feature in the front and rear to help keep out dust and dirt.

The Tacoma TRD Pro has a 1-inch wider track in both front and rear for added stability. It also gets a larger front sway bar, updated front skid plate with TRD red lettering and TRD exhaust accented with a new black chrome tip. Inside, Entune Premium JBL Audio, integrated navigation and app suite all come standard, and there are TRD Pro-branded floor mats and leather-trimmed seats, among other features. Also available is what Toyota is calling the TRD Desert Air Intake, a.k.a. a snorkel, to help keep dust and dirt out of the 278-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 engine's air intake during off-road use.

The Tundra TRD Pro gets new LED fog lights and headlights, a new grille and new hood scoop, plus new 18-inch BBS forged-aluminum, five-spoke satin black wheels. There's a dual TRD Pro exhaust, again with the black chrome tips, and TRD Pro branding appears on the rear quarter panels and throughout the interior. A moonroof is optional.

There's an extra inch of front lift on the TRD Pro 4Runner compared to other grades, plus nearly 1 inch of additional wheel travel and a nearly 1-inch wider track front and rear. It also gets a new roof rack, a blacked-out grille and projector-beam headlights with smoked trim.

The TRD Pro series goes on sale in the fall with a choice of three colors for each vehicle: super white, midnight black metallic or voodoo blue, the latter exclusive to TRD Pro.
Source
Old 02-08-18, 10:33 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Small changes really, but good to see Toyota's commitment to the sub-brand and continuous tweaks.

4Runner - they must've had some leftover FJ Cruiser roof racks laying around
Tacoma - Desert Air Intake is interesting, wonder how many owners will opt for it, and how quickly it gets ripped off if they try to go through a car wash.. haha
Tundra - Double fake hood scoops! What does it mean!?!?
Old 02-09-18, 10:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

How about a little more power toyota. Well the Tundra is fine. Where are the superchargers for the 4runner and Tacoma?
Old 02-09-18, 04:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Pretty lame and somewhat pathetic. I would rather Toyota add a fully boxed frame to both the Taco as well as the Tundra. Also I would rather have Toyota add a height adjustment to that $51K Tacoma. The air intake is a nice effort.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-09-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Tacoma - Desert Air Intake is interesting, wonder how many owners will opt for it, and how quickly it gets ripped off if they try to go through a car wash.. haha
We'll have to wait and see, but my guess is that they (may) snap on and off with specially-designed clips/snaps so the rotating-brushes won't tear them off. Besides, many true off-roaders prefer to clean their own vehicles.....they can often do a better job than the automatic-washes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-09-18 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 11:30 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pretty lame and somewhat pathetic. I would rather Toyota add a fully boxed frame to both the Taco as well as the Tundra. Also I would rather have Toyota add a height adjustment to that $51K Tacoma. The air intake is a nice effort.
I agree, it’s lame. . As much as I want a Tacoma TRD PRO, it’s lacking in the powertain and comforts for the price it’s demanding (~$45k) and it sells at MSRP or more. I have 2 V8s (isf and GX460) and test driving the Tacoma was underwhelming for the price.
The intake is a nice effort but it’s useless and tacky looking for about 90% of the buyer’s, thankfully it’s an add on option. there is always debates about power/height adjustment seats and rear disc brakes on Tacoma world. Let’s not bring up the useless, I mean ... non functioning hood scoops on the Tacomas.
Old 02-10-18, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350

I agree, it’s lame. . As much as I want a Tacoma TRD PRO, it’s lacking in the powertain and comforts for the price it’s demanding (~$45k) and it sells at MSRP or more. I have 2 V8s (isf and GX460) and test driving the Tacoma was underwhelming for the price.
The intake is a nice effort but it’s useless and tacky looking for about 90% of the buyer’s, thankfully it’s an add on option. there is always debates about power/height adjustment seats and rear disc brakes on Tacoma world. Let’s not bring up the useless, I mean ... non functioning hood scoops on the Tacomas.
The hood scoop does not bother me at all but I can see what you mean by bringing it up. I guess if the everyone loves the Stinger can have it, why not Tacoma. I am not sure how far you go back with Toyota and their trucks, they had a fully boxed frame in the past, seats used to have I think 12 way adjustable seats with height. I agree with the drum brakes.

Originally Posted by msgs350

I have 2 V8s (isf and GX460) and test driving the Tacoma was underwhelming for the price.
Toyota has tuned their new models differently from the past. They used to offer better lower end peak torque numbers. Tundra and the V8 in the GX still have it around 3600rpm. The 04 Tacoma peaked at 3600rpm but they jacked the new model up to have its peak torque at 4600rpm. And Toyota always offered fully boxed frames up until the mid 90s. Sad because every single competitor in the North American truck market has gone fully boxed.
Old 02-10-18, 09:36 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Go Home TRD your Drunk....hood scoop and better shocks....WHY not do a tune, at the mini. That engine needs more grunt....Regardless of my complaints, The thing will still sell like it does since forever....VERY DAMN WELL...
Old 02-10-18, 12:31 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks cool. On a side note,

TRD: Toyota Ricing Devlopment
Old 02-12-18, 10:09 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The 3rd generation Tacoma has not been as well received as the 2nd gen. While I think they knocked the styling out of the park, the new 3.5 V6 is anemic compared to the old 4.0 and there have been lots of complaints about the 6 speed auto. My buddy has a '17 SR5 and it's been back to Toyota for a bad blower motor, leaking rear diff, etc.
Old 02-12-18, 10:38 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We'll have to wait and see, but my guess is that they (may) snap on and off with specially-designed clips/snaps so the rotating-brushes won't tear them off. Besides, many true off-roaders prefer to clean their own vehicles.....they can often do a better job than the automatic-washes.
I was being completely sarcastic.
Old 02-12-18, 11:01 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Tacoma sales are better than ever. I'm sure this won't add any significant numbers but I like seeing this kind of support/options.
Old 02-12-18, 11:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I was being completely sarcastic.
Intensions aside, you had at least somewhat of a point. That's exactly the kind of stuff that car-washes sometimes DO, in fact, damage.