Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyota TRD Family

Old 02-07-19, 03:06 PM
Hoovey2411

Liked 50 Times in 44 Posts
Default Toyota TRD Family

Tundra TRD Pro
Sequoia TRD Pro
Tacoma TRD Pro
4Runner TRD Pro

and now introducing the 5th member..

RAV4 TRD Pro

Source
Old 02-07-19, 03:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Champion

Liked 42 Times in 37 Posts

i won't be interested in a rav4 until they plop the 2gr-fks under the hood

it could even be the called the rav4 se xle limited sr5 trd pro f sport gazoo racing heritage edition l finesse xr-s, but the rav4 is just too slow (and now too ugly) to be something you'd want to go out and have fun with
Old 02-07-19, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 66 Times in 66 Posts

It was just unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show.

https://www.trucks.com/2019/02/07/20...-trd-off-road/

February 07, 2019 by Ryan ZumMallen, @Zoomy575M

Toyota's 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road is an adventure-worthy version of the automaker's best-selling crossover. (Photo: Toyota)

The top-selling crossover in the U.S. is gaining a wild side.

Toyota unveiled the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road, an adventurous version of its compact SUV, at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show on Thursday.

The 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road is the latest addition to Toyota’s stable of vehicles enhanced by its performance division known as TRD, or Toyota Racing Development. The automaker also introduced the Sequoia TRD Pro SUV and an updated Tacoma TRD Pro pickup in Chicago.

The RAV4 TRD Off-Road is powered by the same powertrain as the standard RAV4 that debuted in 2018. It features a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with 203 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. The RAV4 Off-Road will feature standard all-wheel drive, all-terrain tires and off-road suspension.

It also shares an assortment of parts with the RAV4 Adventure trim, such as standard roof rails and oversized fenders. The bumpers, front grille and fog lights are similar as well. Both the RAV4 Adventure and TRD Off-Road have several driving modes to choose from, depending on terrain.

The RAV4 TRD features TRD branding and red trim in the interior. (Photo: Toyota)

A VEHICLE APART

The TRD Off-Road sets itself apart with its suspension. It has red coil springs and updated shocks prepped to venture onto dirt trails. It is also tuned to maximize wheel travel and improve control when the roads get rough.

Toyota included the same Multi-Terrain Select system currently in the RAV4 that allows drivers to choose between several modes such as Snow, Mud and Sand, or Rock and Dirt.

But the TRD Off-Road also comes with hill-start assist and hill-descent control for steep grades. Trailer Sway Control is included for enhanced safety while towing. The RAV4 TRD Off-Road has a maximum towing capacity of 3,500 pounds.

Inside, the new model features red trim and stitching to set it apart from standard RAV4 models. Seating surfaces are made of a light, durable material called SofTex. TRD branding is included on the headrests, floor mats and rear cargo mat.

The exterior of the vehicle is marked by matte black 18-inch wheels that are lighter and more rigid than other RAV4s. The wheels are wrapped with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires for an aggressive look. The RAV4 TRD Off-Road comes in five colors, including a two-tone metallic gray with a white roof that is exclusive to the model.

The two-tone metallic gray body with a white roof is exclusive to the 2020 Toyota RAV4 TRD. (Photo: Toyota)

TOYOTA SAFETY SENSE

The automaker’s suite of advanced safety technology known as Toyota Safety Sense, or TSS 2.0, is included as standard.

The RAV4 TRD Off-Road arrives as consumer demand for light trucks – a category that includes crossovers, SUVs and pickup trucks – continues to grow. Light trucks accounted for 68 percent of all vehicle sales in 2018, up from 63 percent in 2017.

Sales of the RAV4 increased by 4.8 percent from 408,000 units in 2017 to 427,000 last year, making it the top-selling vehicle in the U.S. that is not a full-size pickup truck.

The 2020 Toyota RAV4 TRD Off-Road will go on sale this fall.
Old 02-08-19, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a video of the display at the Chicago Auto Show. This guy is good...IMO he's almost as thorough in his static-reviews as King Alex (Dykes).

Old 02-08-19, 04:39 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
Here's a video of the display at the Chicago Auto Show. This guy is good...IMO he's almost as thorough in his static-reviews as King Alex (Dykes).

https://youtu.be/0Raqc-mzIF0
This is going to be a big mark up on this Rav4 They already have a trail edition, so why not a TRD Pro?

Last edited by LexsCTJill; 02-08-19 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
This is going to be a big market on this Rav4 They already have a trail edition, so why not a TRD Pro?

Agreed, but one thing about a version of the RAV-4 like this concerns me. Toyota basically seems to be doing, to the RAV-4 TRD, what Jeep did with the Compass and Patriot...add or substitute some hardware, stick a colorful decal or Trail-Rated badge on it, and turn it loose, off road, with Crocodile-Dundee-wannabes. I'm sure the TRD Pro version will be able to do a LOT more than just suburban grocery-shopping...it will probably be at least reasonably competent off-road, so I'm not questioning that part of it. But, sometimes, those Trail-Rated and Off-Road badges can be misleading. As with the Compass and Patriot, because of their basic structures, almost nothing you can do to a RAV-4 is going to turn it into a true Jeep Wrangler competitor. That means that some owners, ignorant of the true capability of the vehicle, are likely to be over-zealous off-road, and either wind up in a situation they (or the vehicle) can't handle, or possibly damage the vehicle itself.
Old 02-08-19, 05:31 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts

Agreed, but one thing about a version of the RAV-4 like this concerns me. Toyota basically seems to be doing, to the RAV-4 TRD, what Jeep did with the Compass and Patriot...add or substitute some hardware, stick a colorful decal or Trail-Rated badge on it, and turn it loose, off road, with Crocodile-Dundee-wannabes. I'm sure the TRD Pro version will be able to do a LOT more than just suburban grocery-shopping...it will probably be at least reasonably competent off-road, so I'm not questioning that part of it. But, sometimes, those Trail-Rated and Off-Road badges can be misleading. As with the Compass and Patriot, because of their basic structures, almost nothing you can do to a RAV-4 is going to turn it into a true Jeep Wrangler competitor. That means that some owners, ignorant of the true capability of the vehicle, are likely to be over-zealous off-road, and either wind up in a situation they (or the vehicle) can't handle, or possibly damage the vehicle itself.
Its just marketing. Most people recognize that it's just marketing. Consumer appeal shifts, which is why Toyota has gone to this style of marketing, they have big big mark ups. We have two SUVs, do either go off road? NOPE. They are for utility and bad weather with the occasional very rare trailer pull. This is the case for 98% off the buyers.
Old 02-09-19, 06:44 PM
ronmaiden
Driver School Candidate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it was in my budget I'd like to replace my '99 4Runner Highlander/Sport someday with a 5th gen 4Runner and it would be used as intended including towing and off roading and would be a great camping vehicle. This is my first time without a truck in over 20 years.
Old 02-11-19, 03:19 AM
pbm317
Lexus Champion

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post

Tundra TRD Pro
Sequoia TRD Pro
Tacoma TRD Pro
4Runner TRD Pro

and now introducing the 5th member..

RAV4 TRD Pro

Source
To be clear, the RAV4 is NOT a TRD Pro. It's a TRD Off-Road, which in the tiers of Toyota grades, is lesser than the TRD Pro. TRD Off-Road gets minor enhancements, here, the TRD tuned springs and shocks, over the Adventure grade, and some additional interior design elements. Not sure how much of a premium they'll try to charge for the TRD Off-Road over the Adventure model.

Last edited by pbm317; 02-11-19 at 03:22 AM.
Old 02-11-19, 03:26 AM
pbm317
Lexus Champion

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If this were a TRD Pro, then yes, I'd say Toyota is cheapening what it is to be a TRD Pro, but it's not. It's the simpler TRD Off-Road level of naming. So in that sense, I think this application and execution is fitting. It at least gets some TRD parts (mainly shocks/springs) but they're not the level of TRD Pro which have the Fox Bypass Shocks and substantial lift, etc.
Old 02-11-19, 09:15 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

OP: Do you have all of those TRD variations?

Wow talk about brand loyalty....Toyota must love you
Old 02-11-19, 03:57 PM
Hoovey2411

Liked 50 Times in 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317 View Post
To be clear, the RAV4 is NOT a TRD Pro. It's a TRD Off-Road, which in the tiers of Toyota grades, is lesser than the TRD Pro. TRD Off-Road gets minor enhancements, here, the TRD tuned springs and shocks, over the Adventure grade, and some additional interior design elements. Not sure how much of a premium they'll try to charge for the TRD Off-Road over the Adventure model.
Appears you’re right. I’ll edit it later

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: