Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW to switch Apple CarPlay to subscription service

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 10:27 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default BMW to switch Apple CarPlay to subscription service

Cue the outrage

Apple CarPlay is being offered in more and more vehicles, often as standard equipment. BMW, though, charges for it. BMW currently offers CarPlay as a $300 option on cars equipped with navigation. This will change, though, as The Verge reports the German automaker will switch to a yearly subscription service.

CarPlay will be free for the first year, then cost $80 a year to continue the service. At the Detroit Auto Show, BMW technology product manager Don Smith explained that there's actually a customer benefit to doing it this way. "This allows the customer to switch devices. A lot of people buy [CarPlay] and think it's OK, but sometimes they stop using it or switch to Android." If a customer decided to keep the service over the course of a three-year lease, they would end up paying less than the one-time cost of $300, as the first three years would cost just $160. Four would cost $240.

Autoblog reached out to BMW, and a spokesperson confirmed the details for the U.S. market, reiterating the benefit to lessees.

BMW currently doesn't offer Android Auto. Late last year, the automaker announced (with a really slick video) that all new BMW and Mini models would offer Amazon Alexa as an in-car service in 2018. Smith told The Vergethat BMW models will also offer Google Assistant later this year.
Source
Old 01-18-18, 10:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LMAO!!!!

so now I wouldn't want Apple CarPlay in a BMW.
Old 01-18-18, 10:41 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

^^ sadly the other automakers are going to get wind of this and wonder why they shouldn't do the same
Old 01-18-18, 12:11 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Why pay BMW for a distraction, monthly? How many things do people want to do in their cars, other than look at the road, while driving? To get around this, I believe Ontario has something called careless driving, like say you decide you'll just press podcasts on your dash, while you're commuting on the four oh one. It seems highly doubtful today that you'll be caught or demerited for this action. But officer, I was changing the temp of my a/c, not pressing podcasts or audible. What do you mean my car came from the factory with SmartDrive and you have a vid from the inward cam...
Old 01-18-18, 12:20 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
LMAO!!!!

so now I wouldn't want Apple CarPlay in a BMW.
Seems dumb, when you can get it standard in some Hyundai models...

I am not an iPhone fan anyway, but I'd hate to see something like this happen with Android Auto. It's really silly to give you the software, but lock it behind a pay wall. I understand with in-car (not phone-dependent) navigation systems - those have to communicate with other services in order to operate, and those services cost money to run. But, all Android Auto and Apple CarPlay need in order to work is my phone - which is MY device, which costs ME money to run! The previous, one-time payment of having the software installed in the car made more sense, even if it was more expensive - because then a used BMW would actually still be able to use CarPlay, a piece of software that is available in the car's infotainment system but is simply locked. That's just begging for hackers to find a way to "crack" it.
I don't actually own a car with Android Auto at the moment, and having it versus not having it is not a deal-breaker. However, I still take issue with BMW's approach.
Old 01-18-18, 01:34 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

whole new level of german nickel and diming
Old 01-18-18, 03:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

get used to it... as cars get more and more complex and connected, more and more the whole thing will just be a subscription service.
Old 01-18-18, 06:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cue the outrage

Source
BMW is already ripping customers off by charging $300 for CarPlay when so many manufacturers include it standard. It's the BMW way--we charge you because we know you'll pay. And they are right--it wasn't until this MY that the 3-Series (except entry 320) made LED headlights standard.
Old 01-18-18, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's the BMW way--we charge you because we know you'll pay.
reminds me of marriott hotels that charge for wifi when a burger king or probably motel 6 doesn't.
Old 01-18-18, 07:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

My guess is that Apple will force automakers to have no subsriptions. Just my guess.
Old 01-18-18, 08:38 PM
RA051724
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's the BMW way--we charge you because we know you'll pay.
Isn't this exactly the Apple way - we charge you twice as much as anyone else because we know you are dumb enough to pay?
Old 01-19-18, 01:47 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

I love the BMW guy's explanation. According to his logic, we want to charge you for any type of service, so you can get out of it in case you want to switch. How about, we give it to all to you for free, so you can switch to any type of service anytime? There is no difference, they are just charging to charge.
Old 01-19-18, 03:08 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

The thing that worries me more than the actual charge, is that BMW has a history of just discontinuing subscriptions. My 2011 3 series came with 2 years of BMW Assist (think OnStar), and I paid for 2 more at the time of purchase. They dropped that service and replaced it with a similar one by a different name (not compatible with my model) before those 4 years were up.

As much as it would suck to have to pay an annual fee to use something that's already built into the car, it would be even worse to have CP/AA for several years and then just have it suddenly stop working, with no recourse.
Old 01-19-18, 06:11 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Totally asinine. A $17,000 Honda Fit has Apple Car play for free.
Old 01-19-18, 06:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

How about GM....wonder what their angle is to offer 3 years (3 years?) of free On Star service. What's in it for them, gathering data, which they may already be doing?

I guess the net net of this thread, if you don't like it, get a non BMW car. That is, if this CarPlay is more important to you than the status you would gain by driving a BMW.

Wouldn't it be funny if Apple CarPlay drained your car battery as your iPhone got older, until you replaced the phone

Quick Reply: BMW to switch Apple CarPlay to subscription service