Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hidden discounts are interesting

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-17, 06:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default hidden discounts are interesting

In my line of work I've seen people hammer the other side as if they read Art of a Deal long ago and have honed it, and squeeze the other party until nothing is left (last year someone told me dang you wanna know why the wall is there, your co. squeezed us and said they're not paying beyond that point--I thought how strange to have space end here). We don't need to get like that in our everyday life, but it seems that politely asking often works.

Just dropped the BMW off for a state inspection, left with the loaner. Toyota charges $73 with no loaner and a 3 hour wait, Lexus even more, no loaner at dealer near house, muffler shop $56 with a $39.95 coupon, just paid a local station $46 with a $34.95 coupon.

I asked the service advisor any discounts on the state inspection, and no I don't want to do the work recommended from last year (saw it on the printout, boots are torn on rear shocks from age, nothing wrong with shocks, $1,400). He said we'll work out a discount.

Got a text car is ready, $40. Can't help but ask. They usually get $68.

The loaner is a brand new X1 28 awd--even though this is a fwd car, have to admit, something about BMWs are nicer than Lexus. This steering doesn't seem as light as I remember the F30 to be....
Old 12-04-17, 11:13 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

......ok. Congrats on the $20 or so discount....

V.
Old 12-04-17, 05:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
In my line of work I've seen people hammer the other side as if they read Art of a Deal long ago and have honed it, and squeeze the other party until nothing is left (last year someone told me dang you wanna know why the wall is there, your co. squeezed us and said they're not paying beyond that point--I thought how strange to have space end here). We don't need to get like that in our everyday life, but it seems that politely asking often works.

Just dropped the BMW off for a state inspection, left with the loaner. Toyota charges $73 with no loaner and a 3 hour wait, Lexus even more, no loaner at dealer near house, muffler shop $56 with a $39.95 coupon, just paid a local station $46 with a $34.95 coupon.

I asked the service advisor any discounts on the state inspection, and no I don't want to do the work recommended from last year (saw it on the printout, boots are torn on rear shocks from age, nothing wrong with shocks, $1,400). He said we'll work out a discount.

Got a text car is ready, $40. Can't help but ask. They usually get $68.

The loaner is a brand new X1 28 awd--even though this is a fwd car, have to admit, something about BMWs are nicer than Lexus. This steering doesn't seem as light as I remember the F30 to be....
If the X1 is your basis for liking BMW over Lexus, more power to you. I had an X1 loaner a few months ago, and I couldn't help but feel like it wasn't any better than a CR-V.
Old 12-04-17, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I would hope that a brand new BMW would feel nicer in some way than a 15 year old Lexus...

Question about PA state inspections...if you don't have to do any of the repairs outlined in the inspection....whats the point of requiring inspections
Old 12-04-17, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I would hope that a brand new BMW would feel nicer in some way than a 15 year old Lexus...
Problem is.....a new BMW doesn't necessarily feel better than an old BMW. Most of the last-generation Bimmers were absolute gems for road-manners.
Old 12-04-17, 06:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Assuming they still operate as well as they did when they were new, which rarely is the case because of deferred maintenance.

I actually vastly prefer the way modern BMWs feel, they've moved closer to what I like in a car.
Old 12-04-17, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Assuming they still operate as well as they did when they were new, which rarely is the case because of deferred maintenance.

I actually vastly prefer the way modern BMWs feel, they've moved closer to what I like in a car.

Guess it depends on what you mean by "modern". To me, the last-generation E90 (non-M 3-series) models, particularly the 335, right before the conversion to electric steering, had what was arguably the most perfect combination of ride and handling I've ever sampled in a sedan. It not only glided over most bumps (even with the 35-series Sport Package, which was doubly-surprising), but the steering was so telepathically good that you could feel and guide the front wheels practically blindfolded. I would have seriously considered an AWD version, had the reliability been a little better, the dealerships less-snooty, and the price a little lower.
Old 12-05-17, 05:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Our next car might very well be a 5 Series. We have an A6 now which I really like, and the size, ammenities and driving dynamics of the 5 Series are similar and appeal to me.
Old 12-05-17, 07:03 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Question about PA state inspections...if you don't have to do any of the repairs outlined in the inspection....whats the point of requiring inspections
No--I think he was saying the dealer was trying to upsell him on recommended work unrelated to the inspection. Pennsylvania inspection is for safety items--tire wear, brakes, etc. You can't pass if the items aren't within legal tolerances (ie, 2/32nds for tires).
Old 12-06-17, 06:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

On the PA safety inspection, if your shocks are leaking oil, FAIL. My rear shocks have torn boots from age, nothing wrong with the shocks, so they recommended rear shocks @ $1,400 in 2016. I can have Bilstein B14's installed at the indie all corners, for around $1250, and they would be superior to my E92 ZSP. I would do this once the shocks fail.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...47-120471~bil/

Anyway, since the SA sent me a short sms about the survey, which I would obviously be willing to give him a 5/5 on (he was super polite and did the walk around on the loaner [last year the 428 was dented even though new] which imho is hit/miss at BMW), I decided to ask for more info....

The dealership customarily charges $97 for a PA state inspection. OK, this is now in-line with Lexus, and more than $73 which Toyota gets.

He states that when I took delivery of this vehicle, there are some notes that I pay $68 for an inspection, and $63 for an oil change. This jogged my memory back to Dec. 2006.

I asked the then service manager, because the N54 BMW was a big deal back in Dec. 2006, and they were all saying what a nice ride I had....

My question was, when one lifts the hood of an M car, it states to change the oil at 1,200 mi. or 1000 km. Should I do that, why should a M get that (free) and a non-M doesn't?

Mgr. goes, do you own or lease? If you own, and it were my car, I would change at 1,200. If I leased, it's not my car, I would only do what's required, i.e. 1 yr/15k (now 2 yr./15k).

So I agreed, I'll do it at 1,200, but I have a hesitation with $110 for an oil change, especially if not needed. I have no problem paying for every other, i.e. 7,500 (which is old fashioned but what he recommended if a customer owns the vehcicle). He said, don't worry, we'll discount it.

Now it's beginning to make more sense. As I said, nobody charges $40 out the door for a PA emissions/safety, it's $46 with a $34.95 coupon, and $53 with a $39.95 coupon at a muffler shop. My point was that sometimes, all you have to do is ask, and you get the lower price. If I were walking down the street and I saw a $28 bill on the ground, I would bend over (at the knees) to pick it up

p.s. that X1 drove ok but was very noisy and rough. I opened the hood and what did I see....a transverse mounted motor...DOH!! But I think the car is better looking than an X3, kinda like the NX200t is better looking than a RX350? Priced it online and it was in excess of $45k, that's not value imho....

edit p.p.s. just thought of another case....I had the battery replaced for $249, the list of the battery was $199. Reason I went with the dealer was at that time, I did not have the software to perform the registration. I asked what if I do the black AGM battery from the M3, and the SA said unfortunately that needs coding and we'd charge another $100 labor on top of the extra for the battery itself ($150/$249 is a lot), so I stuck with the white battery. I remember on the forum some dudes in VA were saying wth $249, I just paid $530 for a new battery....ask for the discount....

Last edited by Johnhav430; 12-06-17 at 06:54 AM.