Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All digital gauge clusters are in.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 01:03 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i also think manufacturers should also bring back options for digital or analog gauges. Added cost and feature creep I know, but still a nice to have i.e. the Lexus SC300/400 had digital gauges available on the Toyota Soarers
Old 11-13-17, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't think thats what the consensus is at all. I think what people have said is they want the option of displaying an analog readout, but I don't think the majority of people even want that.
Perhaps someone should post a poll, and we can vote on it. 1) Straight traditional (mechanical) analog, 2) Analog-style with electroluminecsent background, 3) Selectable between electronic-analog and digital, 4) Straight electronic digital. My strong guess is that most would choose either 2 or 3.

The last 2 Buicks I owned had what seemed like a reasonable compromise.....electronic analog, with the option of the (addition) of a digital speed-readout.
Old 11-13-17, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps someone should post a poll, and we can vote on it. 1) Straight traditional (mechanical) analog, 2) Analog-style with electroluminecsent background, 3) Selectable between electronic-analog and digital, 4) Straight electronic digital. My strong guess is that most would choose either 2 or 3.

The last 2 Buicks I owned had what seemed like a reasonable compromise.....electronic analog, with the option of the (addition) of a digital speed-readout.
why don't you post the poll?
Old 11-13-17, 03:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
why don't you post the poll?
I think only a moderator or thread-starter can add one to an existing thread......and I don't see that much of a need for a new thread. It's not an issue that's going to make the world stop spinning.
Old 11-13-17, 03:33 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the GM Trans Am fans, a little bit of retro nostalgia. The GTA's dash.

And believe it or not, you can retrofit a digital dash onto your old truck or car, if you're doing a resto-mod.

I had a 300ZX with the digital dash and that was a fun car to sit inside. Lousy handler, but nice scoot. So the digital dash has been around, but is much improved with today's processing power and graphics.

Old 11-13-17, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
For the GM Trans Am fans, a little bit of retro nostalgia. The GTA's dash.

Nice post, Matty. Yes, I remember the old T/A dashes. On this particular sample, though, I wouldn't consider it a true digital, except for the speed-readout. The rest of the instruments are basically electronic bar and needle-indicators on an analog background.
Old 11-13-17, 04:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

On this particular sample, though, I wouldn't consider it a true digital, except for the speed-readout. The rest of the instruments are basically electronic bar and needle-indicators on an analog background.
Yeah this was a sort of hybrid design, probably lifted straight from the aviation world and maybe even inspired by the Knight Rider tv series, who knows, lol.

But then again just to muddy the waters. The interesting analog readouts of some super cars.

The Ferrari F430

Ferrari 360 Spyder

Bugatti Veyron

BMW M5

And then there's the ultimate nightmare for a driver, all those symbols and this site really has a helpful graphic to help decode a dash and its various symbols. I really like this.
Old 11-13-17, 10:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
it'd be awesome to see retro or even vintage color schemes and graphics on those modern LCD gauges. Just like how you could change the theme to Windows or the skin of your mp3 player, Winamp
I would definitely rock that Knight Rider dash in a old Firebird Trans am. It was my favorite show as a kid.
Old 11-13-17, 11:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
it'd be awesome to see retro or even vintage color schemes and graphics on those modern LCD gauges. Just like how you could change the theme to Windows or the skin of your mp3 player, Winamp
That's actually a great idea on cars with full LCD displays like the Tesla and some new model Benzes and Audis. I still do miss a really well designed analogue gauge package, like this one out of a late 90's Nissan Maxima(at night the background turns black and the numbers white, its really cool) I think within 10 years you won't be able to buy a car that doesn't have a full LCD display for the gauges, along with a separate center display. Heck that separate center display might go away altogether or shrink significantly and just display stuff like climate control info and radio stations, etc.

Old 11-14-17, 09:27 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I would definitely rock that Knight Rider dash in a old Firebird Trans am. It was my favorite show as a kid.
lol i watched Knight Rider as a kid too and honestly i forgot how over the top KITT's dashboard was

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's actually a great idea on cars with full LCD displays like the Tesla and some new model Benzes and Audis. I still do miss a really well designed analogue gauge package, like this one out of a late 90's Nissan Maxima(at night the background turns black and the numbers white, its really cool) I think within 10 years you won't be able to buy a car that doesn't have a full LCD display for the gauges, along with a separate center display. Heck that separate center display might go away altogether or shrink significantly and just display stuff like climate control info and radio stations, etc.
agreed. the ability to customize your gauge cluster would be awesome! There's probably mandates for the cluster gauges but, IMO, i just need a large tachometer, fuel gauge, engine temp, CEL, & Brake lights and that's it. very minimal and maybe program in a shift light (make the screen light up yellow or something) like with the aftermarket tachs (if the car's stick). i know they have high end digital gauge clusters, but it sticks out when installed and not as seamless and part of the interior when designed in by the car manufacturer.

Last edited by jadu; 11-14-17 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-14-17, 02:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
And then there's the ultimate nightmare for a driver, all those symbols and this site really has a helpful graphic to help decode a dash and its various symbols. I really like this.
Yes but let's look at why it's a nightmare... because with a traditional gauge you have to find a unique spot for all those colored lights whereas an all digital display can use any area for any symbol.
Old 11-14-17, 05:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Though the view is not universal by any means, by all of the posters here, the general consensus in this thread seems to be that the best compromise with the gauges is to use electronic-backlit (electro-luminescent) gauges/readouts in a basic analog style/format, with needles. Some vehicles allow one, with an adjustment **** to choose back and forth between the two, although on both Buicks I've owned, if you adjust it that way, a large digital speedometer-readout appears inside (in the center of) the regular analog-style speedometer....so you get both at once.
Originally Posted by SW15LS
I don't think thats what the consensus is at all. I think what people have said is they want the option of displaying an analog readout, but I don't think the majority of people even want that.
I agree. I only recall seeing one post that expressed a preference to electroluminescent analog gauges. Besides the fact that those aren't "digital" at all.
Old 11-14-17, 06:03 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes but let's look at why it's a nightmare... because with a traditional gauge you have to find a unique spot for all those colored lights whereas an all digital display can use any area for any symbol.
They still have to be in the driver's field of vision. Doesn't matter if it's analog, digital or a 3D Jabba the Hutt floating in front of your eyes. Any kind of trouble light should not distract a driver's eyes off the road but still be visible. The other option is a HUD, but that still brings the driver's field of vision onto the top of the dash.
Old 11-14-17, 08:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree. I only recall seeing one post that expressed a preference to electroluminescent analog gauges. Besides the fact that those aren't "digital" at all.
I think at the end of the day any sort of guages work if they look good and are tasteful. I do like the Buick LaCrosse gauges. No idea if they are true digital. The new upcoming LS leaves something to be desired. MB has it down with their digital set up.
Old 11-14-17, 08:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Matty, think you're missing my point. With a traditional gauge cluster there must be colored filter covered cutouts with lights behind each for each of the symbols to be potentially shown. That 'fixed real estate' forces the main gauges to be smaller and generally wastes space since most of the indicators are off most of the time. A digital dash can stack icons in a status area dynamically, like the status bar of a cell phone which is a much more efficient use of space.

Quick Reply: All digital gauge clusters are in.