Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All digital gauge clusters are in.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 11:03 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I've sat in the new 2018 mustang gt with the full led gauges. they are cheap and slow compared to my RCF for reference. glad they are doing more nice things but they are a bit behind in terms of expensive look and feel.
Old 11-26-17, 08:40 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, keep in mind that vehicles are not all sold in the same markets. U.S. versions of a vehicle, for example, usually can't go any faster than about 70-75 MPH legally (depending on the posted speed limit), where, in Germany, for instance, there are still some sections of the Autobahns left with no official limits. So, perhaps that 160-MPH (or KPH equivalent) speedometer actually means something outside the U.S. And there's no need for the factory to produce dozen different versions of the speedometer depending on what country you are in....modern vehicles are complex enough as it is.
I must disagree, especially when it comes to cars built to be sold in the USA. My educated guess is that you get a speedometer specifically for your market, if only for the reason that the USA is very likely the last (significant) country in the world to cling to the Imperial system and not switch to the Metric system of measurement.

So if you get a Honda Accord with a 160mph speedometer when the car can do no better than 130mph, blame yourselves, don't blame Honda for sharing that speedometer with the Germans.
Old 11-26-17, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
I've sat in the new 2018 mustang gt with the full led gauges. they are cheap and slow compared to my RCF for reference. glad they are doing more nice things but they are a bit behind in terms of expensive look and feel.
Were you surprised by them feeling cheaper than those in a $70,000 RCF?
Old 11-26-17, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I must disagree, especially when it comes to cars built to be sold in the USA. My educated guess is that you get a speedometer specifically for your market, if only for the reason that the USA is very likely the last (significant) country in the world to cling to the Imperial system and not switch to the Metric system of measurement.

So if you get a Honda Accord with a 160mph speedometer when the car can do no better than 130mph, blame yourselves, don't blame Honda for sharing that speedometer with the Germans.
Most speedometers, today, are marked with both MPH and KPH scales....whichever scale is larger and/or on the outside of the ring depends on what country the vehicle is sold in.

Old 11-26-17, 09:52 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Most speedometers, today, are marked with both MPH and KPH scales....whichever scale is larger and/or on the outside of the ring depends on what country the vehicle is sold in.

You are correct, but the speedometer you displayed is still an American-only one (and probably not available on any car anywhere else in the world). No automaker is going to sell a car with predominately Imperial measurements in a Metric country. This speedometer in a new car would not even be sold in Canada; if it was inadvertantly allowed in, it would be recalled to replace the speedometer.
Old 11-26-17, 11:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You are correct, but the speedometer you displayed is still an American-only one (and probably not available on any car anywhere else in the world). No automaker is going to sell a car with predominately Imperial measurements in a Metric country. This speedometer in a new car would not even be sold in Canada; if it was inadvertantly allowed in, it would be recalled to replace the speedometer.
Cadillac in the 90s had a speedometer that with the push of a button went from from MPH to KPH. The numbers didn't change but the speed did and it went from KPH to MPH
Old 11-26-17, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
slow gauges or not, the mustang gt will still leave your rcf in the dust.

Old 11-26-17, 02:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Cadillac in the 90s had a speedometer that with the push of a button went from from MPH to KPH. The numbers didn't change but the speed did and it went from KPH to MPH
Yep, my dads STS did that.
Old 11-26-17, 02:12 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This was my original thinking--but it's much easier to have the assembly line swap out the face plates between metric/imperial dominant speeds then have completely different speedometers.
Old 11-26-17, 02:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
This was my original thinking--but it's much easier to have the assembly line swap out the face plates between metric/imperial dominant speeds then have completely different speedometers.
A friend of mines son works at Ford assembly where they build the Edge. He builds the Edge for all regions of the world. You would be surprised at how they build them, they don't do giant batches for everywhere. They do small orders for each area and they could build a UK diesel model right after they build 10 or so US models right before 10 Canadian models and the some South American models. No exact pattern. The speedometers I am sure are just switched, likely made as one sealed unit. But I could ask.
Old 11-26-17, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A friend of mines son works at Ford assembly where they build the Edge. He builds the Edge for all regions of the world. You would be surprised at how they build them, they don't do giant batches for everywhere. They do small orders for each area and they could build a UK diesel model right after they build 10 or so US models right before 10 Canadian models and the some South American models. No exact pattern. The speedometers I am sure are just switched, likely made as one sealed unit. But I could ask.

Thanks.....that's interesting. I assume you are referring to Ford's Oakville, Ontario plant where the Ford Edge/Flex and Lincoln MKX/MKT are built. Didn't know that they built them for several different markets, though, in that plant, until you mentioned it. It must be difficult, in some circumstances, to alternate between left and right-hand drive models for the UK/Japanese/Australian market (if applicable).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakville_Assembly

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 03:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks.....that's interesting. I assume you are referring to Ford's Oakville, Ontario plant where the Ford Edge/Flex and Lincoln MKX/MKT are built. Didn't know that they built them for several different markets, though, in that plant, until you mentioned it. It must be difficult, in some circumstances, to alternate between left and right-hand drive models for the UK/Japanese/Australian market (if applicable).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakville_Assembly
Yes that would be it. As for alternating. From his explanation, everything is pre thought out. The unibody is pre drilled and cut for both markets. So looks like very little is different. The parts are different of course but the majority of the car is the same. I had thought the whole assembly line would build like 20k units for one market and then 20k for another market. But that is not the case. Just checked a previous conversation on Facebook messenger, 150 units at the body shop are build for each market respectively, but assembly line can alternate after each unit. No rhyme or reason. Usually things are done is small batches depending on orders.

Also, found out that Ford randomly selects an Edge for a test drive up to 125km and a special not is left on the window along with the sticker and a signature explaining that the particular vehicle was hand tested at the plant for quality control inspection.
Old 11-26-17, 04:33 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I actually prefer the Analog gauges overall like on the current M3/M4 with a digital display on the bottom.
The new ones in the 5 and 7 are not for me.

The RCF gauges are amazing!
The new Mustang ones are real cool and huge improvement over the analog which looked really dated imo. I like how for each mode the screen changes completely and I believe you can pick which one you want as the default setting.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 11-26-17 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 04:39 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Were you surprised by them feeling cheaper than those in a $70,000 RCF?
I'm surprised ford keeps doing something mediocre and then improving and coming out with a new generation every 2 years it seems. they need to just take more time to develop a nicer car and keep that generation for more than 3 years.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
slow gauges or not, the mustang gt will still leave your rcf in the dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCrCYWdnjjw
let me trade in for 2 then , if thats the case.
Old 11-28-17, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But they sell tons of Mustangs while Lexus can’t give away the RC-F.

What you’re seeing is different goals and design criteria for a mainstream car and carmaker and a luxury car and carmaker. Ford does what works for them, and it works for them.

Quick Reply: All digital gauge clusters are in.