Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LC500 trunk space is 5.4 cu. ft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Default LC500 trunk space is 5.4 cu. ft?

motorweek today reviews the lc500. they really liked it, of course. they did mention the trunk space is 5.4cu. ft. seems insanely small! i guess getaways means using the tiny back seats for luggage!
Old 11-04-17, 12:31 PM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
motorweek today reviews the lc500. they really liked it, of course. they did mention the trunk space is 5.4cu. ft. seems insanely small! i guess getaways means using the tiny back seats for luggage!
oh yeah its def small, but it can fit a full bag of golf clubs, i guess it's meant for a weekend getaway and not a full vacay
Old 11-04-17, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

motorweek today reviews the lc500. they really liked it, of course. they did mention the trunk space is 5.4 cu. ft. seems insanely small! i guess getaways means using the tiny back seats for luggage!
Relatively small 2-door coupes and roadsters almost never have much in the way of a cargo area. I'm sure you found that out for yourself, years ago, with your Miata.
Old 11-04-17, 12:35 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't see the big deal.

What at does a LFA have?
Old 11-04-17, 12:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

That sounds about right. I checked one out in the dealership and the first thing I thought upon opening the hatch was "that will only hold a briefcase". The trunk doesn't have a lot of vertical height. I'm surprised it fist a set of golf clubs like previous poster mentioned.
Old 11-04-17, 12:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Pretty small, but yeah clubs fit. There's no spare (run flats instead), underneath the trunk floor is the car's 12V starter battery to help with the cars 54:46 weight distribution.

Old 11-04-17, 01:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Relatively small 2-door coupes and roadsters almost never have much in the way of a cargo area. I'm sure you found that out for yourself, years ago, with your Miata.
just looked up the spec on my old miata and it was 5.3 so pretty much the same. i guess i thought the lc might be bigger because it's a MUCH bigger car and almost twice as heavy!! and of course a miata is 2 seat, not 2+2.
Old 11-04-17, 04:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's going to mean that you and your buddy are not going to the golf club together because two golf bags won't fit in that trunk. But you have to sacrifice something for those fantastic looks on this car. They'll have to up the HP to get better 0-60 and quarter mile times.
Old 11-04-17, 04:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

just looked up the spec on my old miata and it was 5.3 so pretty much the same. i guess i thought the lc might be bigger because it's a MUCH bigger car and almost twice as heavy!! and of course a miata is 2 seat, not 2+2.
You actually came out ahead with your old Miata, compared to the new one. The new Miata, despite the exterior of the car being slightly larger, is only 4.6 cu. ft. (I didn't check, but would assume it's about the same for the Miata-based Fiat Spyder).

Are you, for some reason, interested in an LC? Getting tired of SUVs?

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you, for some reason, interested in an LC? Getting tired of SUVs?
just because i start a thread about the LC doesn't mean i want one. it's a fine vehicle but as i said, my post was prompted after seeing the motorweek review. and no, i'm not tired of suvs.
Old 11-04-17, 09:52 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That got me thinking when I went to go see it. For such a long wheel base car where the hell did that trunk space go? Same with the Chevy Camaro. All that iron and one can barely fit a back pack. Is it the suspension, wheel well? What ate up all that runk space. But given another vehicle by another mfg and you have gobs of trunk space with the same length. What gives?
Old 11-04-17, 09:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That's tiny, especially considering how big the LC is. My SC300(IMO the grand-daddy of this car) has a much bigger trunk, looked it up its 9.3 cubic feet. You can easily fit two golf bags in the trunk of my car. I've packed for a week long trip, a medium sized cooler and two decent sized suitcases(too big for carry on luggage) fit back there no problem, along with a suit bag sitting on top, along with a bunch of other random crap/food stuffed in there.

For something that is supposed to be a GT car, ie something fun, stylish and comfortable for you and the Mrs to take on a road trip/vacation, that lack of luggage space is a black mark IMO. I know you can stuff a bunch more crap in the rear seat of the LC, but it was nice traveling with all our crap in the trunk and not having to look at it/worry about it moving around in the back seat.
Old 11-04-17, 10:07 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

When I bought my 2003 Infiniti G35 coupe, I was concerned about the small trunk. The sales guy pointed out a sticker in the trunk showing how to load 2 golf bags. I think it was about 6 cu ft volume.
Steve
Old 11-04-17, 10:33 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

rich people don't need trunks
Old 11-05-17, 07:30 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LC's customers might be willing to make the compromise but then again, Lexus should hope they're not doing some cross-shopping if they have a big budget for a prestige weekend car.

Mercedes Benz SL trunk capacity with the top up is 13.5 cubic feet. And 8.5 with the top folded down into the trunk. Still beats the LC 500.

Quick Reply: LC500 trunk space is 5.4 cu. ft?