Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Capless gas tank Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-17, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Capless gas tank Discussion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You do realize that whether you fill up with a 1/2 tank or an empty tank, you're still spending the same money on fuel overall right? Each has stop is cheaper, but you fill up more often and it adds up to be the same...gassing up earlier doesn't save you money.
Only during periods of stable fuel-prices.....though, here in the D.C. area, the run-up in pump-prices after Harvey and Irma seems to be stabilizing now. But, right after the storm(s), it was going up 10-20 cents a day.

One interesting feature (and a pleasant surprise) on my Lacrosse filling-system was the capless feature, where you just open the filler-door, insert the nozzle, and begin fueling.....there is no separate screw-off gas-cap hanging by a tether or chain to wear out or break, or mindlessly leave the cap sitting on top of the gas pump or on the ground (you'd be surprised how often I come across that at gas stations while filling up). Until I saw it on the 2017 Lacrosse, I didn't know that Buick (or GM) had gone to that simple and convenient system for fill-ups. You can thank Ford for that.....they were the first company I've seen using it in the American market, and I guess others are following suit.

(And, of course, I did a whole separate Car Chat thread on how to keep the nozzle-hole raised while inserting in and out, and gas from spilling down the fender, so I won't re-hash that here).
Old 09-17-17, 04:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One interesting feature (and a pleasant surprise) on my Lacrosse filling-system was the capless feature, where you just open the filler-door, insert the nozzle, and begin fueling.....there is no separate screw-off gas-cap hanging by a tether or chain to wear out or break, or mindlessly leave the cap sitting on top of the gas pump or on the ground (you'd be surprised how often I come across that at gas stations while filling up). Until I saw it on the 2017 Lacrosse, I didn't know that Buick (or GM) had gone to that simple and convenient system for fill-ups. You can thank Ford for that.....they were the first company I've seen using it in the American market, and I guess others are following suit.
I wonder why some manufacturers like Toyota have no adopted the capless fuel filler. Of all the companies, Toyota should be one of the companies to do it.
Old 09-17-17, 06:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I like the capless filler also, why haven't others adopted it? Perhaps more chance of leaking caps down the road and emissions issues?
Old 09-17-17, 08:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Re:capless gas fill up, LOVE it on my jeep too.
Old 09-17-17, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wonder why some manufacturers like Toyota have no adopted the capless fuel filler. Of all the companies, Toyota should be one of the companies to do it.
I don't know if the capless system would work with Japanese-style filler-pipes and nozzles....or, perhaps, the Japanese government outlawed them for some reason (similar to the State of New Jersey, which outlaws self-serve pumps). I'm not saying it won't work.....I simply don't know. I've never used a Japanese fuel pump before, and don't really know if it is similar to American or Canadian systems. But if not, it could (?) be one of the explanations.
Old 09-20-17, 06:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know if the capless system would work with Japanese-style filler-pipes and nozzles....or, perhaps, the Japanese government outlawed them for some reason.
Not following you here. How would it not work on Japan style filler pipes and nozzles?
Old 09-20-17, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not following you here. How would it not work on Japan style filler pipes and nozzles?
It may or may not...that's the point...I simply don't know. I've never seen a Japanese pump or nozzle, so I don't know what size or shape they are. I don't know if you can remember back to the 1970s, but, here in the U.S., when 100% unleaded gas and the catalytic converters first came out in 1975, there were two sizes of gas-nozzles and filler-pipes...one size for regular (leaded) and partially-unleaded gas, and another one for the fully-unleaded gas that the converters had to use. This was an EPA mandate...the two different size nozzles and filler-pipes were there (supposedly) to help keep leaded or partially-leaded gas from accidentally being pumped into converter-equippped cars....lead would ruin the converters. As always, though...money talks. The leaded gas was a few cents more a gallon than the unleaded/partially-leaded stuff. So, as so often happens, the cheapskates and skin-flints who cared nothing for the environment, and who didn't care if the converters in their cars fouled up (there wasn't much local emissions- testing in those days, outside of California) would use a plastic filler-pipe addition (somewhat like a staged-funnel) so they could use the larger leaded-fuel nozzles to pump fuel into the smaller filler-pipes on the converter-equipped cars. That way, they saved a few cents a gallon.....and screwed up an expensive converter. But they didn't care....nobody enforced the rules, and if somebody else got stuck with it....tough luck. here was also little effort to find and prosecute the companies who made the plastic filler-adapters.

Anyhow, as usual, I went off on a tangent. My point was that I've seen conditions before where there were multiple-size filler-pipes, and I have no idea what kind of system or hardware they may have in Japan.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-20-17 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 06:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

If the Japanese had different size filler pipes, you wouldn’t be able to fill a Japanese car from the same pump as any other car.

The analogy here to leader and unleaded pumps doesn’t make sense.
Old 09-20-17, 07:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If the Japanese had different size filler pipes, you wouldn €™t be able to fill a Japanese car from the same pump as any other car.

The analogy here to leader and unleaded pumps doesn €™t make sense.

I don't necessarily agree it doesn't make sense...it may or may not. Japanese-spec cars aren't designed for the American market. That's the point...the filler-pipe/nozzles might or might not work. And if you have never been to Japan, or seen the hardware, of talked to someone who has, you may not really know, either.
Old 09-20-17, 07:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't necessarily agree it doesn't make sense...it may or may not. Japanese-spec cars aren't designed for the American market. That's the point...the filler-pipe/nozzles might or might not work. And if you have never been to Japan, or seen the hardware, of talked to someone who has, you may not really know, either.
It may or may not...that's the point...I simply don't know. I've never seen a Japanese pump or nozzle, so I don't know what size or shape they are.
Japanese import RHD models have been imported into Canada for years. Diesel Land Cruisers and Mitsubishi models as well. It's the same pump and nozzle.

Plus, lets just pretend they were different. Then cars like the LS460 or Toyota 4Runner would currently have a different US filler pipe compared to the the Japan domestic model. Therefore, if that were the case, then a US bound LS460 or 4Runner could have a different capless filler hole.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-20-17 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 09:55 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if the capless system would work with Japanese-style filler-pipes and nozzles....or, perhaps, the Japanese government outlawed them for some reason (similar to the State of New Jersey, which outlaws self-serve pumps). I'm not saying it won't work.....I simply don't know. I've never used a Japanese fuel pump before, and don't really know if it is similar to American or Canadian systems. But if not, it could (?) be one of the explanations.
I am guessing that it is as simple as a possible emissions problem that is keeping Toyota from using capless fuel fillers. If a fuel filler does not seal properly, there are evaporative emissions. It is easier to make a fuel filler cap seal tight than it is to make a capless fuel filler seal tight.
Old 09-20-17, 10:41 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
. It is easier to make a fuel filler cap seal tight than it is to make a capless fuel filler seal tight.
Highly doubtful that this is the case. Toyota is just behind on this. Pehraps super cheap too as it is more likely related to cost cutting reasons. Eventually Toyota will have a capless fuel filler.
Old 09-20-17, 10:52 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

My Odyssey has the capless fuel filler. I haven't had to gas it up yet, but I'm assuming it works
Old 09-20-17, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
My Odyssey has the capless fuel filler. I haven't had to gas it up yet, but I'm assuming it works
It's a nice feature. You can forget screwing/unscrewing caps, twist-clicks-to-verify, tethers that wear out or break, caps left on the gas pump or on the ground, other cars running over the cap and crushing it, worn-out caps triggering Check-Engine lights and failing emission tests, and several other problems. And, of course, you can ultimately thank Ford......they were the first to use capless-fueling in the American market, though I'm not sure they actually invented it.
Old 09-20-17, 06:56 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...worn-out caps triggering Check-Engine lights and failing emission tests...
Foreign object debris (FOD) can prevent the capless fuel filler from closing properly, causing evaporative emissions and triggering the CEL.

Tips And Tricks For Using The Easy Fuel Capless Filler on a Ford

Troubleshooting

A common problem (especially with the earlier designs) results in the car throwing a P0442 engine code. Many times, this is caused by the flap in the filler neck not sealing completely due to dirt. Some models like the 2009-2012 Ford Fusion seem particularly vulnerable due to the filler's location and door design.
  • Make sure the filler is clean and clear of debris. Spray it out with compressed air, add a light spray of oil, and use your gas can filler neck to actuate the flapper 10-20 times.
  • Clean the filler door seals that prevent debris from entering the filler
  • Check the filler door spring (if it has one) to make sure it's keeping the door shut.
  • Test the purge valve
Source

I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me with the capless fuel filler. Seems like everytime I get gas recently, the check engine light comes on within a few days. Code P0451; Evap Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Performance. This is on a 2011 5.0 with 18K on it btw. Talked to Ford service. First guy told me the gas cap was not tight. After I told him there is no cap another service employee told me to take the funnel and work the door a bit as there could be dirt holding the door open enough to trip the light. Did this and after two to four cold starts the light is off. This happened a couple more times to me. Worked the funnel and light goes away.
Source

I am not saying that the capless fuel filler is bad, just saying that there are problems with it not closing properly that may cause Toyota (known to be a cautious automaker) to be cautious with it.

Quick Reply: Capless gas tank Discussion