Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz European Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hard to happen when the steering wheel is on the other side of the car in japan
Yes, that's a good point...also for Britain and Australia.

On the other hand, though, both European and Asian factories can, and do, at least on a large-scale, build vehicles to American standards. But it would probably be disruptive to a right-hand-drive assembly line, though, to stick in a few special-order lefties here and there. I can understand the reluctance of a number of companies (including Lexus) to do it.

That's one reason why some cars used to have those El Cheapo dashes with the gauges all mounted in the center....inexpensive left/right-hand drive conversion.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-23-17 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 02:23 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, that's a good point...also for Britain and Australia.

On the other hand, though, both European and Asian factories can, and do, at least on a large-scale, build vehicles to American standards. But it would probably be disruptive to a right-hand-drive assembly line, though, to stick in a few special-order lefties here and there. I can understand the reluctance of a number of companies (including Lexus) to do it.

That's one reason why some cars used to have those El Cheapo dashes with the gauges all mounted in the center....inexpensive left/right-hand drive conversion.
Hmm, my IS was built in Aichi, Japan. But, some Lexus models for the US are manufactured in the US, so they would be ineligible.
Old 08-23-17, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Hmm, my IS was built in Aichi, Japan. But, some Lexus models for the US are manufactured in the US, so they would be ineligible.
Yes, like I said, some Japanese plants produce large numbers of left-hand-drive vehicles for other markets. But my point was that, in Japanese plants that primarily produce right-hand-drive vehicles for the Japanese, British, and Australian markets, to try and stick in a few special-order lefties might be disruptive and/or impractical.
Old 08-23-17, 07:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What does this mean?

Japan does build left-hand drive cars, just as the UK does. All Lexus models sold in Continental Europe, as well as many Lexus models sold here in North America are built in Japan. Nissan's Sunderland plant in the UK is the only plant in the world (for both left-hand and right-hand drive markets) that produces the Infiniti Q30/QX30 and Nissan Qashqai (aka Rogue Sport in the USA).

Similarly, Opel builds its Insignia model in Germany for both left-hand drive (home market, rest of Continental Europe and North America) and right-hand drive markets (re-badged as the Vauxhall Insignia in the UK).

No plant anywhere, though, that I know of "...[sticks] in a few special-order lefties [or "righties"] here and there". Automotive assembly is a very complicated process that requires intense planning and coordination; nothing is just "stuck in".
Old 08-23-17, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
No plant anywhere, though, that I know of "...[sticks] in a few special-order lefties [or "righties"] here and there". Automotive assembly is a very complicated process that requires intense planning and coordination; nothing is just "stuck in".

I do know someone who works at the Ford plant in West Mississauga. He told me they will build a right hand drive diesel Edge in between a left hand gas US model . There is no rhyme or reason. However, when they do the body and paint at the beginning. They do them in 150 unit batches.
Old 08-23-17, 07:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I do know someone who works at the Ford plant in West Mississauga Oakville, Ontario. He told me they will build a right hand drive diesel Edge in between a left hand gas US model . There is no rhyme or reason. However, when they do the body and paint at the beginning. They do them in 150 unit batches.
But there is rhyme and reason for that; a right-hand drive Edge model is already planned for in that plant's assembly process, because the Ford Oakville plant is the only assembly plant in the world for the Edge, which is an international model (even though RHD models are a very small proportion of all Edge models produced). The fact that that they build them in 150 unit batches (as opposed the random single model) is proof that there is planning and coordination involved.
Old 08-23-17, 07:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

But there is rhyme and reason for that; a right-hand drive Edge model is already planned for in that plant's assembly process, because the Ford Oakville plant is the only assembly plant in the world for the Edge, which is an international model (even though RHD models are a very small proportion of all Edge models produced). The fact that that they build them in 150 unit batches (as opposed the random single model) is proof that there is planning and coordination involved.
Of course there will be planning involved. The rhyme or reason comment was that out of nowhere a right hand drive model will just appear during assembly.
Old 08-23-17, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What does this mean?

Well, that was my point. I think you and I agree on that.
Old 08-24-17, 06:46 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Of course there will be planning involved. The rhyme or reason comment was that out of nowhere a right hand drive model will just appear during assembly.
I assure you that it is NOT "out of nowhere". Modern, just-in-time manufacturing requires extremely careful long-term planning and coordination of suppliers (especially if they are not on-site) to ensure that the right components and only the right components are delivered when needed. If the assembly plant has planned for a batch of RHD drive models to occur at a certain time but required components do not arrive from a supplier at the required time, the assembly likely has to be shut down.

In modern manufacturing there is a lot of rhyme and reason, even if we, as outside observers, do not realize it.
Old 08-24-17, 07:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I assure you that it is NOT "out of nowhere". Modern, just-in-time manufacturing requires extremely careful long-term planning and coordination of suppliers (especially if they are not on-site) to ensure that the right components and only the right components are delivered when needed. If the assembly plant has planned for a batch of RHD drive models to occur at a certain time but required components do not arrive from a supplier at the required time, the assembly likely has to be shut down.

In modern manufacturing there is a lot of rhyme and reason, even if we, as outside observers, do not realize it.
Modern manufacturing and design of the car accounts for making the cars in the way my friend mentioned. If you take a part an Edge, it's all designed for making it on both sides. When my friend builds the Edge, he has all the tools to build a left hand drive followed by a right hand drive. Almost everything is interchangeable. Stop reading into so much of what I had said.

I guarantee Toyota builds their Japanese LHD and RHD at the same time.