Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is this a good deal for a Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 04:56 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Quick update:

We pulled the trigger on a deal, the selling price of the car for $23,625 + Tax and Fees. Out the door was $26,100. APR = 0.9%.

I think this is the best deal, we can get so we went ahead and signed. Tried to make them throw in mats, but they wouldn't budge on that. =\
Old 07-28-17, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Congratulations. Good price on an interesting car. Looks like they came down another $600-700 or so when you went back to them. Don't worry about not getting the floor mats. You can go to a good auto parts store (or even to a place like Target or Walmart) and get fabric, rubber, or vinyl floor mats for between $10-40....though, of course, they won't be custom-fit. Even if you order custom-shaped floor mats for your car from the factory or from Weathertech, you'll probably spend $100-200...a lot less than the $600-700 you saved by your second round of negotiating.

Enjoy your new car.....and break it in gently for the first 500 miles or so. Because of modern manufacturing techniques, long break-ins are not as critical now as in the past, but you still want to take it easy for the first several hundred miles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-28-17, 05:17 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations. Good price on an interesting car. Looks like they came down another $600-700 or so when you went back to them. Don't worry about not getting the floor mats. You can go to a good auto parts store (or even to a place like Target or Walmart) and get fabric, rubber, or vinyl floor mats for between $10-40. Even if you order custom-shaped floor mats for your car from the factory or Weathertech, you'll probably spend $100-200...a lot less than the $600-700 you saved by your second round of negotiating.

Enjoy your new car.....and break it in gently for the first 500 miles or so. Because of modern manufacturing techniques, long break-ins are not as critical now as in the past, but you still want to take it easy for the first several hundred miles.
Thanks!

The car is mainly for the gf; a commuter car. I still got my '16 is350f to have fun with, I actually did a 3,000 miles break-in on this thing lol

And yeah, not really too bummed about the floor mats. Cheap ones at the store would do fine. I'm just kinda OCD about my things; I like having everything fit perfectly lol. But again, the car is not for me.
Old 07-28-17, 05:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Quick update:

We pulled the trigger on a deal, the selling price of the car for $23,625 + Tax and Fees. Out the door was $26,100. APR = 0.9%.

I think this is the best deal, we can get so we went ahead and signed. Tried to make them throw in mats, but they wouldn't budge on that. =\
Nice. I think you got a good deal. Post some pics when you get a chance, in CL tradition.
Old 07-29-17, 03:53 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on the purchase
post some pics!
Old 07-29-17, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Quick update:

Congrats! I think you said 10% sales tax so that leaves $112.50 for fees, that's nothing, an unplanned meal out with the family. The mats probably come as a sense of pride, you squeezed them already, they know you won't walk away if they don't do mats, no biggie go online and order (I prefer OE on those)....
Old 07-29-17, 10:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't worry about not getting the floor mats. You can go to a good auto parts store (or even to a place like Target or Walmart) and get fabric, rubber, or vinyl floor mats for between $10-40....though, of course, they won't be custom-fit. Even if you order custom-shaped floor mats for your car from the factory or from Weathertech, you'll probably spend $100-200...a lot less than the $600-700 you saved by your second round of negotiating.
get the OEM floor mats that fit and secure correctly!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Honda-C...JZRZQ7&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Honda-C...3D292186505570
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Honda-Ci...tZWpoP&vxp=mtr
Old 07-29-17, 01:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

that price is not good as you can get. Honda do have a threshold on how low they can go. especially for a car that is selling like crazy.

Got a 2017 civic sport touring. basically the highest model in the hatchback. MSRP is 29,300. added in tint, all weather floor mats, rear cargo mat weather, clear side protection door guards. No dealer in the US was even giving out any free accessories. trust me, i called over 50 dealers across the US. our family use to shipping cars. but then i found out an old friend who runs honda. gave him a call.

Got the car for 25,100 out the door. 0.9 % financing with no money down through honda financing. its a perk to know the sales manager personally and he can honestly let you know how low honda set the price they can sell it for. don't be sucker. and don't believe that regional pricing crap.

Last edited by ISFPOWER; 07-29-17 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 06:11 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ ok. So OP paid $1k more than you. He didn't know the sales manager personally, and he didn't waste time calling 50 dealers....
time saved is money saved.
Old 07-29-17, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Whats funny is that "This is the price Honda will sell it for" is probably also a total line of BS lol

I could not even imagine calling 50 dealers and dealing with 50 different lines of BS and all the followup. 3 dealers is bad enough in that department.
Old 07-29-17, 06:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 96SC4
^^^ ok. So OP paid $1k more than you. He didn't know the sales manager personally, and he didn't waste time calling 50 dealers....
Originally Posted by SW15LS
Whats funny is that "This is the price Honda will sell it for" is probably also a total line of BS lol

I could not even imagine calling 50 dealers and dealing with 50 different lines of BS and all the followup. 3 dealers is bad enough in that department.

when buying new, its the easiest. deal strictly with internet department only. all Email. i can work on the sale while I'm at work , you just let them outbid each other with proof. no calling needed. i wouldn't say its total BS. you have to understand honda own these cars not the dealership. dealerships get paid commission on units sold and incentives. once i hate quote of my price, no other dealer would reply and the ones that did told me to go ahead and take that deal because there is no way they can even touch it. new cars are the easiest cars to sell and also the least commission made. for any car sales people on this forum, you should know what I'm talking about.
Old 07-29-17, 06:49 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 96SC4
no, he bought a lower model. this civic is a sport touring, MSRP of 29,300.

his is a touring, MSRP 27, 475.

now look at what he got it for and what i got this civic for and tell me how much the difference is.]

*you can't add any options in. you have to buy the model with the options you want. **

Last edited by ISFPOWER; 07-29-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
that price is not good as you can get. Honda do have a threshold on how low they can go. especially for a car that is selling like crazy.

Got a 2017 civic sport touring. basically the highest model in the hatchback. MSRP is 29,300. added in tint, all weather floor mats, rear cargo mat weather, clear side protection door guards. No dealer in the US was even giving out any free accessories. trust me, i called over 50 dealers across the US. our family use to shipping cars. but then i found out an old friend who runs honda. gave him a call.

Got the car for 25,100 out the door. 0.9 % financing with no money down through honda financing. its a perk to know the sales manager personally and he can honestly let you know how low honda set the price they can sell it for. don't be sucker. and don't believe that regional pricing crap.
No offense (and I respect your opinion, so correct me if I am misinterpreting your response).......but, given the Apples-and-Oranges scenario here, I don't think you are in a position to say that the OP was a sucker, and fell for a bad deal. First, you two live in two different states, and your state (NC) traditionally has much lower taxes than high-cost California....presumably including sales taxes. Second, factory incentives sometimes vary with time (though Honda usually doesn't use them)....so the OP may have been working with a different incentive than you did. Third, the time of the month the sale is made can (sometimes) make a difference....dealerships sometimes get special, unannounced incentives to clear things out by the end of the month...my brother and I noticed this when buying from a local Kia shop. So, these, and a lot of other factors, can affect pricing. I DO agree with you, though, that it often pays to know people in sales or management positions at the dealership.

So...with all due respect, I say let him and his GF enjoy their new car, without losing sleep over if they got the absolute rock-bottom price or not. Frankly, I think they did pretty good as it is.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-29-17 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 07:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...but then i found out an old friend who runs honda. gave him a call.

Lol. Now that advice would have helped your fellow CL member and fellow IS owner about 48 hours ago when he might have been the beneficiary of your Honda sales manager contact.
Old 07-29-17, 07:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,925 Posts

when buying new, its the easiest. deal strictly with internet department only. all Email. i can work on the sale while I'm at work , you just let them outbid each other with proof. no calling needed. i wouldn't say its total BS. you have to understand honda own these cars not the dealership. dealerships get paid commission on units sold and incentives. once i hate quote of my price, no other dealer would reply and the ones that did told me to go ahead and take that deal because there is no way they can even touch it. new cars are the easiest cars to sell and also the least commission made. for any car sales people on this forum, you should know what I'm talking about.
I'm well aware of how to negotiate over email via the internet sales department. Still can't imagine dealing with that many dealers...nor do I really see a point. 3-4 dealers and you've got what you need. I'm negotiating a Chrysler Pacifica now, I probably got 7 follow up emails today, and that was from 3 dealers contacted. My phone rings from a dealer 2-3 times a day...every day.

And yes...Honda owns the cars...thats not unique to Honda, its that way with every brand.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal for a Civic?