Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is this a good deal for a Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-17, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'm well aware of how to negotiate over email via the internet sales department. Still can't imagine dealing with that many dealers...nor do I really see a point. 3-4 dealers and you've got what you need. I'm negotiating a Chrysler Pacifica now, I probably got 7 follow up emails today, and that was from 3 dealers contacted. My phone rings from a dealer 2-3 times a day...every day.
If you aren't satisfied with any of the offers you're getting so far on a Pacifica, the guy who sold me both my Verano and Lacrosse (and a friend of mine a new Encore) can sell you one. The Chrysler franchise right next door is under the same family dealer-ownership....they allow their salespeople to do that.

(Of course there's no guarantee you'll be satisfied with their price, either)
Old 07-29-17, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you aren't satisfied with any of the offers you're getting so far on a Pacifica, the guy who sold me both my Verano and Lacrosse (and a friend of mine a new Encore) can sell you one. The Chrysler franchise right next door is under the same family dealer-ownership....they allow their salespeople to do that.

(Of course there's no guarantee you'll be satisfied with their price, either)
I should be able to get a price that I'm happy with, the usual absurd offers, trying to get me to negotiate on the payment, leases that are $150 too high for the terms they're presenting, etc. What really happened is I just got super busy and couldn't get it wrapped up here before we go out of town Monday like I hoped to.

-Steve
Old 07-29-17, 10:07 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

No offense (and I respect your opinion, so correct me if I am misinterpreting your response).......but, given the Apples-and-Oranges scenario here, I don't think you are in a position to say that the OP was a sucker, and fell for a bad deal. First, you two live in two different states, and your state (NC) traditionally has much lower taxes than high-cost California....presumably including sales taxes. Second, factory incentives sometimes vary with time (though Honda usually doesn't use them)....so the OP may have been working with a different incentive than you did. Third, the time of the month the sale is made can (sometimes) make a difference....dealerships sometimes get special, unannounced incentives to clear things out by the end of the month...my brother and I noticed this when buying from a local Kia shop. So, these, and a lot of other factors, can affect pricing. I DO agree with you, though, that it often pays to know people in sales or management positions at the dealership.

So...with all due respect, I say let him and his GF enjoy their new car, without losing sleep over if they got the absolute rock-bottom price or not. Frankly, I think they did pretty good as it is.
I'm sorry, i didn't intend for that comment to for the original poster. it was a general statement that includes myself because the best price i got, it was beaten by 1800 and some change. sorry if it came off that way.

but basically, for those who think its "too" much work by emailing or calling, well to me, the name of the game is to get the best price. i always tell the dealers, give me your best price so we don't waste each others time and keep going back and forth with offers. but in the end, ill work a little extra to get the best deal possible. people inhere are acting like even a 500 dollar discount extra is not worth it. its huge on a car that is priced around 30k msrp. 18 percent discount on a new car that has no trouble selling mid year. loan can't be upside down even with no money down.
Old 07-29-17, 10:38 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
that price is not good as you can get. Honda do have a threshold on how low they can go. especially for a car that is selling like crazy.

Got a 2017 civic sport touring. basically the highest model in the hatchback. MSRP is 29,300. added in tint, all weather floor mats, rear cargo mat weather, clear side protection door guards. No dealer in the US was even giving out any free accessories. trust me, i called over 50 dealers across the US. our family use to shipping cars. but then i found out an old friend who runs honda. gave him a call.

Got the car for 25,100 out the door. 0.9 % financing with no money down through honda financing. its a perk to know the sales manager personally and he can honestly let you know how low honda set the price they can sell it for. don't be sucker. and don't believe that regional pricing crap.
Thanks for the feedback, you got a great deal for sure.

Thing is, your sport touring is a hatch. And the gf hates hatches (for some reason, many girls don't like hatches)

Plus, I think the hatch is the reason why the car is +$1500. Cause all the technology and features between the sport touring and sedan touring is the same? Maybe the sport touring as a few extra "sport" features, Ex. exhaust pipes, sport pedals.

We could had gotten another lexus for pretty generous discount (I work part-time in a dealer). But, she insist she does not want one lol.

But, yeah if we had tried a little more (made dealers pit against each other) we could had probably got a better deal. Like what others had said, it does pay to know someone though.
Old 07-29-17, 11:17 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nathantse
Thanks for the feedback, you got a great deal for sure.

Thing is, your sport touring is a hatch. And the gf hates hatches (for some reason, many girls don't like hatches)

Plus, I think the hatch is the reason why the car is +$1500. Cause all the technology and features between the sport touring and sedan touring is the same? Maybe the sport touring as a few extra "sport" features, Ex. exhaust pipes, sport pedals.

We could had gotten another lexus for pretty generous discount (I work part-time in a dealer). But, she insist she does not want one lol.

But, yeah if we had tried a little more (made dealers pit against each other) we could had probably got a better deal. Like what others had said, it does pay to know someone though.

this hatch reminds me more of the accord crosstour than lets say a 1992 honda civc hatchback, lol. so sportier. kind of like the new type r.

yeah congrats your new car. so this model comes with blacked out window trim ( no chrome). extended lip kit all around, center exhaust with extra 5hp, rear seat heaters, (a must), 12 speaker 540 watt system (another must), paddle shifter CVT transmission and 18 inch wheels. , its just basically sportier looking with a louder system. but both come with the sweet LED headlights which is worth it in itself on the civics. I'm just impressed with how much you get with the civic now, its crazy. i just wished they clear coated the door inner jambs .

out of so many dealers, NONE would be able to throw in some all weather floor mats to seal any deals. thats how tight they are and how much they really don't need your business on these cars. so being able to get all of those extra accessories and tint, which all is well over 600, the deal was too good too pass up.
t
but yeah, every dollar counts. but for those who said i could of helped, you, the only way that would of worked is if i show an actual quote and the dealer that is selling it for you to show your dealer of choice and I'm not sure my friend would be happy about that. but if i saw this thread earlier, i would at least find out what the sedan touring can get down to so at least they know you know what you could deal it for.

anyways, congrats on the car. saying you drive a civic is not how it use to be with these cars
Old 07-30-17, 12:21 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

this hatch reminds me more of the accord crosstour than lets say a 1992 honda civc hatchback, lol. so sportier. kind of like the new type r.

yeah congrats your new car. so this model comes with blacked out window trim ( no chrome). extended lip kit all around, center exhaust with extra 5hp, rear seat heaters, (a must), 12 speaker 540 watt system (another must), paddle shifter CVT transmission and 18 inch wheels. , its just basically sportier looking with a louder system. but both come with the sweet LED headlights which is worth it in itself on the civics. I'm just impressed with how much you get with the civic now, its crazy. i just wished they clear coated the door inner jambs .

out of so many dealers, NONE would be able to throw in some all weather floor mats to seal any deals. thats how tight they are and how much they really don't need your business on these cars. so being able to get all of those extra accessories and tint, which all is well over 600, the deal was too good too pass up.
t
but yeah, every dollar counts. but for those who said i could of helped, you, the only way that would of worked is if i show an actual quote and the dealer that is selling it for you to show your dealer of choice and I'm not sure my friend would be happy about that. but if i saw this thread earlier, i would at least find out what the sedan touring can get down to so at least they know you know what you could deal it for.

anyways, congrats on the car. saying you drive a civic is not how it use to be with these cars
Yup, the stuff you can get in a civic now is one of the things that drew us to the car. Heck, it has more/cooler features than my 16' IS350 fsport (fully loaded).

And its all good, would had appreciated the help though lol. But, I think at the end we got about 4100$ off msrp (~15%), which I think its the best we could had done in my area. I hit up a few dealerships, and none were willing to discount more than ~2000-3000. Plus, our sales tax is 10%, which racks up our cost
Old 07-30-17, 03:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nathantse
Plus, our sales tax is 10%, which racks up our cost
Yeah.....that's one reason why I mentioned the Apples-and-Oranges scenario above. Sales tax on a new car in Virginia, where I live (NoVa/D.C. suburbs) is 4%...though we have to put up with a 9% local meals tax in restaurants LOL.
Old 07-30-17, 03:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know this for a fact (and, I admit, I'm guessing)....but, in states that DO collect a general-sales tax and/or sales tax on new/used cars, it makes one wonder if the state doesn't put pressure on businesses (including car dealers) to sell for the highest price they can get, to bump up the amount of revenue collected from those sales going to the state.

(maybe a buisness-tax-break for the businesses themselves, like...........I scratch your back; you scratch mine deal)
Old 07-30-17, 05:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My point was, you could have gotten the best price without contacting 50 dealers. Especially because in the end that deal came from somebody you know, which made the effort put forward to contact all those dealers for nothing. I mean, $1,000 is a lot of money, not to be conceited but I make $1,000 pretty quick. Lots of things I'd rather be doing or could be more productive doing with that time for that money. I mean...I'd rather have my teeth drilled than have to talk to 50 car dealers, even over email

I've never had a problem getting to a great deal after talking to 3 or so dealers.
Old 07-30-17, 11:32 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My point was, you could have gotten the best price without contacting 50 dealers. Especially because in the end that deal came from somebody you know, which made the effort put forward to contact all those dealers for nothing. I mean, $1,000 is a lot of money, not to be conceited but I make $1,000 pretty quick. Lots of things I'd rather be doing or could be more productive doing with that time for that money. I mean...I'd rather have my teeth drilled than have to talk to 50 car dealers, even over email

I've never had a problem getting to a great deal after talking to 3 or so dealers.
no, i wouldn't have gotten the same deal. none of the other dealers would touch or match it. i still give courtesy emails to those dealers telling them my offer from my friend. i said can you match or beat it. i actually didn't dint he worked at honda now. he worked at ford before. ng my line of work. i was working while getting the best deals. so no money loss. time is valuable to me too but honestly, in my situation, i try to make the dealer not waste time, not me. money saved is money earned to me. putting in extra work or "hard" work to some has been something I've done all of my life i do with every aspect of my life.
Old 07-30-17, 11:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't understand the long drawn out discussions about getting a good deal or not.

Dealer invoice is public knowledge. In Canada its a little more difficult to get but you can easily get it. A few visits or emails or phone calls to a number of dealers and you should find the price most are willing to deal with. In demand cars have higher prices, this is usually the case. I agree that wasting time emailing 50 dealers is pointless. I personally would rather be working as saving $500 or $1000 is not worth the time as I could just rather be working and making the money that way. Over the years, in my experience, I have found that buying Toyota or Lexus cars are more difficult to get dealers to move where I would like them to compared to when I purchase a GM car back in the day. My last two cars were purchase at a fixed price via an agency where the invoice and markup are disclosed, no dealer. All did was email two other dealers to see where they were selling and both were $1000 more. One of the dealers asked what they could do, I told them the price I was willing to pay and they said too good of a deal for them to offer it. Overall, it took me a combined 2-3 hours over three days to by my cars.

For what its worth, some people just don't care. My father bought his Lexus and my mothers 4Runner in a span of 6 months, both where bought from the same price agency where I went. The Lexus was compared to an Avalon, it took a span of two hours on one day to buy the car. The 4Runner was a three hour affair and test drives were compared to a Lexus GX. Same dealer. Same sales person. Purchase within 3 hours at the dealer. No other dealers were called or contacted.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-30-17 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-30-17, 12:23 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah.....that's one reason why I mentioned the Apples-and-Oranges scenario above. Sales tax on a new car in Virginia, where I live (NoVa/D.C. suburbs) is 4%...though we have to put up with a 9% local meals tax in restaurants LOL.
Lol what? Wth is a local meal tax? Your telling me.. you have regular sales tax + local meal + tip?!?
Old 07-30-17, 12:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

no, i wouldn't have gotten the same deal. none of the other dealers would touch or match it. i still give courtesy emails to those dealers telling them my offer from my friend. i said can you match or beat it. i actually didn't dint he worked at honda now. he worked at ford before. ng my line of work. i was working while getting the best deals. so no money loss. time is valuable to me too but honestly, in my situation, i try to make the dealer not waste time, not me. money saved is money earned to me. putting in extra work or "hard" work to some has been something I've done all of my life i do with every aspect of my life.
You miss my point. You got the deal you got because you got it from your buddy, not because you contacted 50 dealers. Had you not known your buddy, you would have paid more because you said each of those 50 dealers couldn't meet or beat that price. So, ergo calling 50 dealers was a waste of time.

Hard work is important, but working smart is more important. Washing machines work hard.

$1,000 is just not worth calling 50 dealers to me.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-30-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 01:24 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I often wonder if there is such a deal that can be had that is too good to be true? For example, with Snap On tools, students get like 48%+ off list, and all the new/never used tools wind up on eBay. I scored a ratchet for $54, list is $160 (S80A 1/2" 80 tooth). New and I identified it as a 2016 production. I was like wth happened to the other bidders, they mysteriously fell asleep and I took it? The thing was trending at $105, about 35% off list. The difference is the cut of the student and the reseller.

My colleague was on cars.com and came across a new M3 with 5,200, $12k off. He called, they checked and it was available, and wanted to know if he wanted to lease or buy. He said lease. Ok, no prob, back and forth they took another $3k off. He was all excited and was gonna take off from work and get it. This is a CPO from a BMW dealership. Problem. They cannot lease cars over 5,000, any chance he wants to buy, they'll take another 2k off. Nope, he has to lease. So this is a CPO car at around 17k off?

The salesman goes too bad you're not looking to buy, by the way if we could lease this to you it'd be $380/mo.

I'm not in a position for a new car so my demand to buy or lease is non-existent. They could say lease for $150/mo. and I wouldn't be interested. But all the numbers do seem low, my colleague and I were saying wonder if this deal is for real?
Old 07-30-17, 01:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I often wonder if there is such a deal that can be had that is too good to be true?
I think the closest thing to that, on a new vehicle, that I ever saw was when one of my co-workersand his wife took home a new Kia Sedona minivan, some years ago, from a local dealer near Annapolis, MD. It was an end-of-model-year 2003 (or 2004?), if my memory was correct. Kia had a big clearance at the end of that summer, and they wanted a minivan. Out in the far-corner or the lot, under some trees, was a two-tone greenish-gray Sedona with grayish-beige lower-body color, and a two-tone beige fabric interior with Captain's-Chair seating. It had a V6 underhood, 5-speed automatic, power windows/seats/mirrors/doors, and several other options inside (I don't remember them all). Unfortunately, it had apparently sat there for some time, because the trees and birds had done a number on the paint and trim with smudges, small scratches, and stains. Because of that, some haggling on my friend's part, Kia's incentive, and the fact that they wanted to get rid of it, the dealership let it go, out the door....tax, tags,everything, for less than $19,000, around $18,700. Sticker-price, if I remember correctly, was 26 or 27K. The PDI guys, of course, washed/detailed it for delivery, and buffed out some of the marks.....I, with my ever-present bottle of SCRATCH-OUT (I carry a small bottle of it with me, in my bag, wherever I go) worked on some of the other marks while my friend was inside doing the paper work, and it looked just like the day it was painted at the factory when we got through with it, ready to take home. It was a relatively reliable vehicle by the Kia standards of the time.....only problem in the first 100,000 miles was warped brake-rotors, which were refinished. They both enjoyed it, though the lack of fold-under seats was an inconvenience...the seats had to be unbolted and physically removed to lengthen the cargo area. It looked about like this:

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal for a Civic?