Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Buick Regal GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-17, 06:30 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That's interesting, just googled, and it seems GM sold 4 mil. cars, and MB sold 1/2 mil. in China, with car sales in general soaring....(3.87 mil vs. 473k).

If I understand these numbers, Toyota sold around 1.2 mil. So it would seem that Chinese love GM cars.
They do. It's a bizarre love affair when one takes into account the cars' reputation in their home market.
Old 07-21-17, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
They do. It's a bizarre love affair when one takes into account the cars' reputation in their home market.
The Chinese like comfort in a vehicle (and, to an extent, I share their view). That's why Buicks do so well in that country (their traditional emphasis on comfort)....though, in general, Chinese-market Buick suspensions are tuned a little firmer than for American tastes and the poor-condition roads we have here. As for the GS, though, it's probably an exception. I don't think the GS would do particularly well in the Chinese market......too much of a sports sedan, and not comfort-oriented enough.

The recent move of Buicks, though, to large wheels and rubber-band tires (the Cascada convertible's standard 20-inchers are a good example, which are also an option on the new Lacrosse) is not helping any in the comfort department.
Old 07-21-17, 06:50 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall

The recent move of Buicks, though, to large wheels and rubber-band tires (the Cascada convertible's standard 20-inchers are a good example, which are also an option on the new Lacrosse) is not helping any in the comfort department.
For several years, the Buick Verano (called the Excelle in China) was the country's top-selling vehicle. That's one reason why GM is dropping it in the American market (despite its reasonable success here) and confining it to the Chinese market for 2018...to make more factory room here for Encore production....Encore sales have gone through the roof here in the U.S.
I don't know why the posts quoted aren't in the correct order but anyhow, there's still the squished gummy bear 🐻 of a vehicle known as the encore that comes sans rubber band tires.
Old 07-21-17, 06:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

When I see a CT6, or CTS, and I had a XTS rental in Chicago, I still like Cadillac. I like the '95 when I see it online. With this being said, I would never buy one lol

I was happy to hear from my colleague about how poorly run the CTS-V event at Met Life stadium was, because my time slot got canceled the Friday before, and his didn't! (jealous)
Old 07-21-17, 07:01 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

When I see a CT6, or CTS, and I had a XTS rental in Chicago, I still like Cadillac. I like the '95 when I see it online. With this being said, I would never buy one lol

I was happy to hear from my colleague about how poorly run the CTS-V event at Met Life stadium was, because my time slot got canceled the Friday before, and his didn't! (jealous)
i think the ct6 is a beautiful car. That said I still wouldn't buy one either. Ha. They need to fix some reliability gremlins before I'd ever consider buying a Cadillac.
Old 07-21-17, 07:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know why the posts quoted aren't in the correct order but anyhow, there's still the squished gummy bear �� of a vehicle known as the encore that comes sans rubber band tires.
In the U.S., the Encore sells like free beer at Happy Hour. In fact, the sales guy who sold me both my Verano and Lacrosse just leased a new Encore to one of my colleagues. He took a test drive in one, and fell in love before he even got it around the block. I'm not a terribly big fan of the Encore, though...IMO, despite a nice Buick-grade interior and good sound insulation, it's stubby, awkward-looking, underpowered, and doesn't really drive or feel like a Buick.

Anyhow, back to the GS....I'll reserve final judgement on the new one until I see it. But the last one was so much of a sport sedan that Buick traditionalists in the U.S. shunned it in droves.
Old 07-21-17, 07:16 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

I think the gs is a very attractive car. It's not my type, but I can appreciate the beauty of the machine. Buick needs to lose its stigma, like, yesterday because it's the largest impediment in the way of keeping younger buyers from buying their product. Buick clearly knows this with the all-new gs but without a whole lineup redo, they're going to face insurmountable difficulty.
Old 07-21-17, 07:19 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Anyhow, back to the GS....I'll reserve final judgement on the new one until I see it. But the last one was so much of a sport sedan that Buick traditionalists in the U.S. shunned it in droves.
You're totally right re the traditionalists potentially shunning the brand while Buick prepares to appeal to a younger demographic that may never come.
Old 07-21-17, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You're totally right re the traditionalists potentially shunning the brand while Buick prepares to appeal to a younger demographic that may never come.
The Lacrosse (with 18" wheels) and big, cushy Enclave (again, wth standard wheels) still appeal to the traditional I-Love-Buicks crowd. As you probably know, I myself have an 18" wheel Lacrosse on order......should be built in another two weeks or so.
Old 07-21-17, 07:33 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

The Lacrosse (with 18" wheels) and big, cushy Enclave (again, wth standard wheels) still appeal to the traditional I-Love-Buicks crowd. As you probably know, I myself have an 18" wheel Lacrosse on order......should be built in another two weeks or so.
Yes, I know. I don't think there's a member on this forum who doesn't know you're buying a new Lacrosse.
Old 07-21-17, 07:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes, I know. I don't think there's a member on this forum who doesn't know you're buying a new Lacrosse.
Really? Who knew!
Old 07-21-17, 07:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I went to a Buick event not sure what year, maybe 2013, and Buick was trying to go upscale having world renowned chefs, cooking lessons, etc. And it was shocking, there was no way the median age was 59, it was closer to 80. I don't mean to make light of a potentially serious situation, but a woman in a walker fell during the registration, and nobody rushed to help her because they were all seniors themselves. My guess is that even if the avg. age is 59, and there are people in their 30-40's buying the cars, they likely aren't that interested in spending their day at a Buick event. You say Porsche, BMW, MB, and it's like you delay 3 hours from getting the invite, and now you're on a wait list.

lol
da**
Perhaps the next event, Buick is will have an on-site EMS squad to make sure their customers are well taken care of. At the Toronto​ auto show Buick had large line ups at their free cafe. Like I said earlier, Buick has been catching my eye of late. Especially Cascada.

I don't think I ever see any young folks driving Buicks. It mostly seniors from I what I have seen. My neighbour just got a loaded Regal with the Turbo. The car has great initial quality. Excellent dash style and ergonomics. Her traded in his Verano for it. But he is 84, with bad hearing, bad hip, bad back etc etc

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-21-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-21-17, 01:34 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a Buick, it won't sell, I guarantee it. Nobody in the market for a $40K sport sedan will look at Buick because it has ZERO brand value to anybody searching for such a car. Anybody else looking for a $40K sedan will get an A3 or CLA instead.

I've been right every time about Buick and Cadillac and I'll be right again.
Old 07-21-17, 02:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
It's a Buick, it won't sell, I guarantee it. Nobody in the market for a $40K sport sedan will look at Buick because it has ZERO brand value to anybody searching for such a car. Anybody else looking for a $40K sedan will get an A3 or CLA instead.

I've been right every time about Buick and Cadillac and I'll be right again.

The reason it won't sell has nothing to do with brand value. Next year (2018), the Regal will only be available in sedan and wagon form....in a land where the public, in general, tends to shun those body styles, except for some Subarus.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-21-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 03:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Let's not forget Snoop's words, "... and get scooped up by a little homie in a Regal." With all this talk about old folks buying Buicks, there is and was a huge following of Buicks in the gangster world. I think the Gran National, Regal, and later LaSabres were all low-rider fodder. This all got started when wannabe, young urbanites inherited their parents and grandparents cars and made them their daily's.

Quick Reply: 2018 Buick Regal GS