Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Buick Regal GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 11:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Buick Regal GS

Buick has spent the last decade shredding its perception as the low-level luxury vehicle for geriatrics, but the brand hasn't always been associated with that crowd. In fact, ask some enthusiasts and you'll hear about the GM 3800 series engines, IndyCar racing, and the mythical GS and GNX. In that high-octane theme, GM pulled back the curtain on the all-new, all-wheel drive, 310-horsepower 2018 Buick Regal GS Wednesday morning in Milford, MI.

The GS is basically a sport-tuned version of the all-new Buick Regal. We've seen the standard and high-riding wagon variants, but this is our first look at what's likely to be the enthusiast pick. The Regal GS uses the five-door sportback bodystyle from the standard car (though a GS version of the TourX would be awesome), swiped from GM's soon-to-be former German division, Opel.

While a number of automakers are downsizing engines, Buick is soldiering on with its tried and true V6, in this guise making 310 horsepower and 282 lb-ft of torque. Power is sent to all four wheels through a nine-speed automatic. The all-wheel drive system uses a twin-clutch setup and has been tuned specifically for the GS. The Regal GS makes more power than both the Acura TLX A-Spec (290 horsepower) and the Lexus IS350 F-Sport (306 horsepower). The V6 features both cylinder deactivation and auto stop/start for better fuel economy.

The fully independent suspension uses the second-gen Continuous Damping Control (CDC), capable of 500 adjustments per second. Selectable modes allow the driver to tailor the car to fit the situation. Large Brembo front brakes are surrounded by standard 19-inch wheels and tires. The exterior gets a few styling changes like a sporty front and rear fascias, a small rear spoiler, and plenty of GS badges.

Inside, the Regal GS gets unique sport seats with integrated headrests and adjustable lumbar and thigh bolsters. They even come standard with heating, ventilation, and massaging functions. The driver faces a GS badged flat-bottom steering wheel and GS-specific pedals. A full-color heads-up display is optional. Available safety features include front pedestrian braking, lane keep assist with lane departure warnings, forward collision alert, automatic emergency braking, and adaptive cruise control.

The real key for the success of the Regal GS could be pricing. At $39,990 with destination, it undercuts both the $45,750 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD and $47,245 Lexus IS350 F-Sport by a significant margin. The 2018 Buick Regal GS should hit dealers sometime later this year.
Source
Old 07-19-17, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Buick has spent the last decade shredding its perception as the low-level luxury vehicle for geriatrics,
Much of that was nonsense. The idea that Buick was a Grandpa/Grandma car, while not completely incorrect, had far more stereotype than reality. I, for one, owned two of them before I was 20 (and liked them)....and returned to the brand after almost 40 years.

The (generally false) idea that Buick was a Geezer-brand mostly got started in the auto press, because many of their reviewers and auto-testers didn't like the way that Buick usually emphasized comfort over sportiness. They wanted everything to more or less drive like a Porsche 911. Now, having said that, Buick did, of course, for several decades, have a higher-than-average buyer-age, but not to the extent that was stereotyped.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-19-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 11:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It's been common knowledge for a long time that the Buick brand was purchased I big numbers by an older crowd. GM/Buick has been on record that they want to lower that average age and most automotive analysts agree that it needs to be done. Vehicles like the Enclave, Envision and maybe the new Regal (to be determined) will help. I don't think you can lay the blame on the press as probably not a high % of the older buyers pay much attention to them. In any case it will be interesting to see how the Buick division does with their line up.
Old 07-19-17, 11:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
It's been common knowledge for a long time that the Buick brand was purchased I big numbers by an older crowd. GM/Buick has been on record that they want to lower that average age and most automotive analysts agree that it needs to be done. Vehicles like the Enclave, Envision and maybe the new Regal (to be determined) will help. I don't think you can lay the blame on the press as probably not a high % of the older buyers pay much attention to them. In any case it will be interesting to see how the Buick division does with their line up.
True and I don't think the Regal GS will sell.
GM probably doesn't either but hopes the car may bring younger people to look at Buick for future sales.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-19-17 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-19-17, 12:36 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm gonna have to say that's better looking than the new Accord, does this come in a stick (not sure if the last one did). I drove the last one for $50 and thought it was not good, I turned right around and the salesman said you can take it further, I said no I've seen enough....there was zero feel to the steering, none....
Old 07-19-17, 12:39 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

For some reason I remembered this article, about Buick breaking the 60 barrier....at the time I thought what's the difference, 59 or 62, there's an artificial line in-between the numbers, it's about the same....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...522-story.html
Old 07-19-17, 12:49 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

no one looking to buy a lexus IS is going to cross-shop the IS with a buick. there's still way too much of that geezer, geriatric notion floating around. this isn't helped by the large numbers of geezers who buy buick products.
Old 07-19-17, 01:10 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

They could always bring back the Grand National and the Riviera to attract younge people. I like the interior on the Regal.
Old 07-19-17, 01:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Something tells me that this thread will eventually get closed.

Anyways, on to Buick, lately I have found myself attracted Buick cars. (Not their SUVS). I saw the Cascada for the first time in the wild, and my jaw dropped. What a great looking car. There were also quite a few people checking it out in the parking lot. My neighbour just recently traded in his Verano for a brand new 17 Ragal with turbo. Nice interior and initial quality looks good. The new Lacrosse looks great from the front doors forward. But I am still suspect on some of the interior bits and pieces and I find it odd there is no colored logo on the steering wheel and the glove box is missing a lock. Strange for 50K car

Now, my big question I have is that it is a GM product and I just don't trust GM. Been burned too many times years back. I know that Buick is getting great reliability reviews from CR, but if CR is not gonna release their methodology and data of their surveys, then I ain't gonna trust GM.

This new Regal looks fantastic. Interesting that they have gone to a V6. I didn't think it would be back for this generation. But looks like I was wrong.
Old 07-19-17, 01:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I like the direction Buick is moving in. I think this is a great looking car. Kuddos to keeping NA V6 power.
Old 07-19-17, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
no one looking to buy a lexus IS is going to cross-shop the IS with a buick. there's still way too much of that geezer, geriatric notion floating around. this isn't helped by the large numbers of geezers who buy buick products.
Agreed. Buick still has an old person's stigma
Old 07-19-17, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't think you can lay the blame on the press
Yes, you can lay the blame on the auto press. In fact, Wiki did an specific article on that very subject. Here is a quote from it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_man%27s_car

the fact that Buick "is an old person's car is a notion that's constantly reinforced by the media
Old 07-19-17, 02:50 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As unscientific and anecdotal as it may seem... my former neighbor across the hall was an older lady in her late 50's - early 60's. She drove a Buick Encore, the proverbial grandma car. A lot of the folks I see driving Lacrosses, Lucernes and even Enclaves - definitely people into their 50's and up. The youngest person I ever saw driving a Buick was at my former workplace. He was sales guy in his mid-40's and yes, he drove a GS sedan with the turbo motor. He had a growing family so eventually he traded it in for the newer Jeep Grande Cherokee.

But back to this GS. It is nice looking car and it definitely reflects its European roots with the styling. If it does well it could help bring down Buick's median buyer age down which is a stated goal at GM. What's not to like with nice fastback styling, AWD and 310 V6 (especially when everybody else is doing turbo 4s).

I think the bad-a** days of the eighties with the Darth Vader Buick Grand Nationals and GNX's seem to have faded.
Old 07-19-17, 03:06 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

This actually looks good....definitely don't see it as oldman's car
Old 07-19-17, 03:07 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

not just the media, the media is certainly influenced by the age bracket that buys buicks. if old people didn't buy buicks, then the media would follow suit, reporting on something else inane.

Quick Reply: 2018 Buick Regal GS