Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why 5k/6 month service schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 09:41 PM
shric
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why 5k/6 month service schedule?

This topic is not RX specific. Why does Lexus recommend 5000 mile or 6 month service interval when major competitors like BMW/Audi etc. go for 10000 miles or 1 year? THe only thing Lexus schedules ask at the 5K services is rotate tires and top-off fluids. All other items are check only. I would rather save time and money and get these done at a local mechanic.
Old 07-18-17, 09:50 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

So they can sell you stuff...
Old 07-18-17, 11:10 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by shric
This topic is not RX specific. Why does Lexus recommend 5000 mile or 6 month service interval when major competitors like BMW/Audi etc. go for 10000 miles or 1 year? THe only thing Lexus schedules ask at the 5K services is rotate tires and top-off fluids. All other items are check only. I would rather save time and money and get these done at a local mechanic.
The 5K service is free and you can get a loaner car or free coffee and donuts. It is also where Lexus pays the dealers to customize your car set-up such as being to lower the windows with the key fob. Why complain about a free service?
Steve
Old 07-18-17, 11:31 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The 5K service is free and you can get a loaner car or free coffee and donuts. It is also where Lexus pays the dealers to customize your car set-up such as being to lower the windows with the key fob. Why complain about a free service?
Steve
Everytime I went to schedule my free service I would've had to take a sick day ... So I just change my oil in my driveway took about 1/2 hr
Old 07-19-17, 02:16 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by ttsport15
Everytime I went to schedule my free service I would've had to take a sick day ... So I just change my oil in my driveway took about 1/2 hr
they are open Saturday. No way I want to change my oil and rotate my tires.
Old 07-19-17, 03:27 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,052 Likes on 689 Posts

The only thing needed at 5,000 intervals is a tire rotation. I have rotated my tires every 10,000 miles when the oil also gets changed. I have always got the mileage out of my tires that the manufacturer has warranted. Just make sure your vehicle is in alignment. Save your money and save your time.
Old 07-19-17, 05:11 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Old business model. But it's where the profits are made because margins are thin on new car sales. I only took my car in twice, for service I wanted, and they charged me $59 for a brake flush (next time DIY), and $129 for a coolant drain and fill (DIY next time as well), and then I said no, no, no, and no to all their unnecessary recommendations which totaled like 5k. They said I could have a RX350, huh? Why would I want that? But I did find it interesting that the SA's each had their own offices. I have never seen anything like that at BMW, who always have basically a stall smaller than what they used to do in AR for call center agents...
Old 07-19-17, 05:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
The only thing needed at 5,000 intervals is a tire rotation. I have rotated my tires every 10,000 miles when the oil also gets changed. I have always got the mileage out of my tires that the manufacturer has warranted. Just make sure your vehicle is in alignment. Save your money and save your time.
I posted when it when on sale, so I hope somebody benefited, 2 of our cars have the Firestone lifetime agreement. People knock them but I don't think they are any better or worse, with the exception of BMW who weights the driver seat. But the printouts from BMW and Firestone looked the same (as if the same machine/software). My LS was way off, 3/4 wheels and the steering off center as well, all corrected. Paid $179 for life, wife paid $189, and the "on sale" was $169 DOH I lost a $20 bill by 1 day....

Since we're planning on keeping these two cars indefinitely, we think we'll recoup the costs in just 1 yr. I don't bring my BMW there because I don't trust them on that car lol but they told me please we can do it no issues (but they CANNOT do a Q5 which they concurred)
Old 07-19-17, 05:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Old business model. But it's where the profits are made because margins are thin on new car sales. I only took my car in twice, for service I wanted, and they charged me $59 for a brake flush (next time DIY), and $129 for a coolant drain and fill (DIY next time as well), and then I said no, no, no, and no to all their unnecessary recommendations which totaled like 5k. They said I could have a RX350, huh? Why would I want that? But I did find it interesting that the SA's each had their own offices. I have never seen anything like that at BMW, who always have basically a stall smaller than what they used to do in AR for call center agents...
Why would you not want a new RX350 to drive around while your car is being serviced vs waiting around in the dealership?

As for offices for the SAs, it depends on the dealer. Some have little offices, some have a big desk with stations, some have stalls.
Old 07-19-17, 05:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by shric
Eventually Lexus is going to have to offer just a one year service. It is pretty silly that you take your Lexus is for a service at 5K and get no oil changed. I don't really care if it is now synthetic. Either make it one full year and change the oil every 5K. What I always find interesting is that Toyota does not require tires to be rotated at 6K, only at the 12K or 1 year interval.
Old 07-19-17, 05:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ttsport15
How far do you live to the dealer? Could you not just have then shuttle you to work?
Old 07-19-17, 06:20 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Why would you not want a new RX350 to drive around while your car is being serviced vs waiting around in the dealership?

As for offices for the SAs, it depends on the dealer. Some have little offices, some have a big desk with stations, some have stalls.
Yes, this situation varies by dealership and not necessarily by brand. The SA's at the dealership where I bought my current BMW have enclosed offices and at the dealership where I bought the previous one they had decent sized cubicles. At the Audi service department they use standing desks.
Old 07-19-17, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I don't understand people paying Lexus prices for service and not using loaners
Old 07-19-17, 06:44 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

It is recommended that I change the oil every 10k miles or every year. I choose to have it changed every year as I don't drive 10k in a year. My husband drives much more than I do and follows the mileage timeline.

Anyhow, I get rather nervous changing it only once per year, but then justify it but following Lexus' recommended service intervals. I don't bother with the 5k service points because they're a waste of time and money. But back to changing the oil once per year -- should I be changing it more frequently, say, once every six months?

I don't want to do the car harm by not changing it every six months, but I also don't want to give Lexus money for something not necessary.

I have the 2014 luxury-packaged IS that has approximately 25k in the odometer.
Old 07-19-17, 06:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
It is recommended that I change the oil every 10k miles or every year. I choose to have it changed every year as I don't drive 10k in a year. My husband drives much more than I do and follows the mileage timeline.

And go figure back in the 70s, there were some cars with a manufacturer recommended maintenance interval of 10K. (this I just recently found out)

Quick Reply: Why 5k/6 month service schedule?