Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 04:48 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Also, your family has a 4Runner, doesn't it?...although it must be old, as I recall a transmission problem you posted about it recently (transmissions, of course, are usually not problematic in new 4Runners). Anyhow, in some circumstances, you can spend as much, if not more, for a new 4Runner, particularly a high-soot version, than on an Avalon itself.
I assume you mean "high zoot" version?
Old 02-05-18, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I assume you mean "high zoot" version?
LOL. Good catch.

If I may say so bluntly (and this has nothing to do with you)...Apple/Macbook Air is a excellent computer in most things, but its auto-correct system for key-typing s**ks. It changes (or tries to change) half of what you type...and you have to keep watching (and adjusting it) carefully, like a hawk.
Old 02-07-18, 06:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Found this on Toyota website.
  • A brand-new 3.5L V6 engine or 2.5L hybrid engine
  • 8-speed automatic transmission
  • Relocation of the hybrid battery – it’s been moved under the rear seats to greatly expand the trunk space of the hybrid models
  • A variety of available driving modes including Eco, Sport, Sport +, Touring, Normal, and Custom
  • Paddle shifters mounted on the steering wheel with rev-matching downshifts
  • Real-time damping control available on the Touring model
  • Adaptive variable suspension
  • Smartwatch connectivity
  • Apple CarPlay
  • 5 USB power ports
  • WiFi hotspot
  • Entune 3.0, an all-new addition
  • Amazon Alexa connectivity
  • Available 1200 watt JBL Sound System with 14 speakers
  • 7”, 9”, or 10” display audio system screen options (Three different screen options?)
  • More soft-touch materials trimming the interior
  • A new woodgrain and leather interior design
  • A lower stance and center of gravity for a more powerful look (and better handling)
  • New alloy wheel designs
  • Adaptive LED headlights

I like this pic. I think they finally got the rear quarter styling done right.
Old 02-07-18, 06:53 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm curious at the smart watch integration. Maybe as a key possibly? My 007 dreams are slowly coming to fruition.
Old 02-07-18, 07:42 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

I think the 2019 Avalon is a awesome value proposition. Especially if it’s priced at $47k loaded. Unfortunately I’m not interested in a car this large. But if I was in the market I would be talking to a sales guy. It has so much tech for a Toyota.

I suppose the 2019 ES will get all the same mechanical attributes, but up the ante on refinement and luxury.

I notice the Avalon doesn’t offer a panaramic roof, 12.3” Display, power closing trunk lid. Gotta leave something for the ES.
Old 02-07-18, 07:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6
I think the 2019 Avalon is a awesome value proposition. Especially if it’s priced at $47k loaded. Unfortunately I’m not interested in a car this large. But if I was in the market I would be talking to a sales guy. It has so much tech for a Toyota.

I suppose the 2019 ES will get all the same mechanical attributes, but up the ante on refinement and luxury.

I notice the Avalon doesn’t offer a panaramic roof, 12.3” Display, power closing trunk lid. Gotta leave something for the ES.
Good call. I think the ES is going to be a stand out vehicle. My father has a 15 ES and it’s not living up to the expectations I think he wanted. I think it needs an adaptive suspension and a better experience for the remote touch. Hopefully the ES will go back to touch screen.
Old 02-07-18, 08:29 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I'm curious at the smart watch integration. Maybe as a key possibly? My 007 dreams are slowly coming to fruition.
This is what I found:
Avalon will also feature Toyota’s first integration of smartwatch or Amazon Alexa-enabled device connectivity, as part of Toyota Remote Connect," the automaker says. "This innovative connection allows drivers to lock/unlock their doors, start their engine or check their fuel level, all from the convenience of their smartwatch or Amazon Alexa-enabled device. It’s voice controllable, too, and compatible with select Android or Apple devices. Toyota is among the first automakers to feature Amazon-enabled device connectivity capable of executing home-to-car and car-to-home interactions."

http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-...roit-auto-show
Old 02-07-18, 08:33 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
This is what I found:
Avalon will also feature Toyota’s first integration of smartwatch or Amazon Alexa-enabled device connectivity, as part of Toyota Remote Connect," the automaker says. "This innovative connection allows drivers to lock/unlock their doors, start their engine or check their fuel level, all from the convenience of their smartwatch or Amazon Alexa-enabled device. It’s voice controllable, too, and compatible with select Android or Apple devices. Toyota is among the first automakers to feature Amazon-enabled device connectivity capable of executing home-to-car and car-to-home interactions."

http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-...roit-auto-show
I can confirm this is the system currently out and available through Lexus Enform or at least something extremely similar. I have used the Apple Watch app a few times now but can't speak to Alexa as I don't have any Alexa-enabled devices.
Old 02-08-18, 10:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,133 Likes on 1,382 Posts

i moved all the recent posts about buttons and touchscreens to a separate thread.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-08-18 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-11-18, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,831 Posts

I will say that the new Avalon looks less hideous in person. At least in a dark color lol
Old 02-11-18, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I will say that the new Avalon looks less hideous in person. At least in a dark color lol

Although I often criticize dark paint colors for their heat and finish-maintenance issues, with that new Avalon grille, the darker the body color next to it, the better LOL.
Old 02-11-18, 10:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
And with the lights off!
Old 02-11-18, 05:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although I often criticize dark paint colors for their heat and finish-maintenance issues, with that new Avalon grille, the darker the body color next to it, the better LOL.
Darker colors also disguise the creases and folds, so black or dark blue will hide that ginourmous snow blower front end. I would advise to keep small kids and pets away from it because it's coming down the road for ya. The owner may be distracted with the ski ramp inside, watch out, lol.
Old 02-11-18, 10:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Darker colors also disguise the creases and folds, so black or dark blue will hide that ginourmous snow blower front end. I would advise to keep small kids and pets away from it because it's coming down the road for ya. The owner may be distracted with the ski ramp inside, watch out, lol.
This, dark colors tend to hide bad design. Or lack of design, as in the case of more boxy looking vans, pickup trucks, suvs, etc. Also dark colors contrast good against chrome, once again, why dark colors look better on SUV's and trucks.

On something like a Ferrari Tessterossa, Lamborghini Countach,Lamborghini Muira, Ferrari 360 Modena, Huracan, Honda S2000, 1963 Corvette, 1968 Corvette, a sports car with a lot of curves/complex angles, lighter colors like silver, yellow, white, red, bright blue, orange all look great on those sorts of cars.
Old 02-11-18, 11:26 PM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Avalon