Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 12:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
motortrend page says only on touring.
You're right, it looks like only the Touring model gets it.
Old 07-15-17, 12:04 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So they got rid of the V6

The least they could do is do a Volvo and make the front overhang shorter by moving the front axle forward.
It would help with the bloated look.

Mazda6 = best in class.

This thing looks LOLawful. Jesus, who approved this sh. 60/40 weight distro. haha
It has a clunky Chevy Impala feel . Belt line is way too high.

The front quarter angle is always the worst with fastbacks.

Mazda6 is 5 years old, and still looks good from all angles.
I hope mazda doesn't fk up the next gen like honda did.

Last edited by pman6; 07-15-17 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-15-17, 12:34 AM
pman6
Racer

so back-heavy
Old 07-15-17, 01:56 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh this is nice, the current Accord still looks new and modern, didn't expect there is new one coming! Again Honda made it! This is still the sedan I would get if I'm broke!
Old 07-15-17, 04:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I've never even owned a Honda and I just feel disappointed. I had thought the 2 liter turbo with stick was on the right track. Look at those brakes, seems Japan doesn't put much priority on that type of hardware...but always has to be flashy with the rims. If anything you'd want the rims to hide the brakes, not reveal them...Mazda 6 does look overall better, but that ugly chin has to go, the styling has changed once again....(BMW imho might have been first with that ugly look, but it's gone today), and Honda puts it on an '18, go figure
Old 07-15-17, 05:31 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
so back-heavy
Yeah I don't know why they just don't make it a hatchback or sportsback. The LS 500 is the same way. They obviously like the four-door, coupe-like look, but why the half measures? Just do it!

I think the Accord would be much more appealing if it was a medium to large hatchback or sports back or four-door coupe, or whatever you want to call it.
Old 07-15-17, 08:13 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
So they got rid of the V6

The least they could do is do a Volvo and make the front overhang shorter by moving the front axle forward.
It would help with the bloated look.

Mazda6 = best in class.

This thing looks LOLawful. Jesus, who approved this sh. 60/40 weight distro. haha
It has a clunky Chevy Impala feel . Belt line is way too high.

The front quarter angle is always the worst with fastbacks.

Mazda6 is 5 years old, and still looks good from all angles.
I hope mazda doesn't fk up the next gen like honda did.

The Mazda 6 has more restrained styling, without the many unresolved and incongruent lines and creases, which is the current fashion.

The front overhang on the Mazda 6 also seems less than the Accord because of the greater dash-to-axle ratio (length from the front axle to the base of the windshield) on the Mazda 6. The Accord has a cab-forward style, with the base of the windshield (and firewall) pulled forward, possibly to maximize interior space. The Mazda 6, however, has the firewall pushed back, to allow for room for their 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system, a requirement on their high-compression SkyActiv engines.
Old 07-15-17, 08:19 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Man, that is nasty! The front is about as ugly of a thing as I've seen in a while. The headlights, grille, bumper, and height up of hood are all oddly shaped, overdone, childish, or missing alltogether. And the lobster claw taillights that everyone hated on the last Camry have returned to be hated here. Lastly, the cheap hatchback styling leads to a droopy and dumpy butt. Exterior is a fail all around. Interior is beautiful though! What a shame they couldn't get the outside right. RIP Accord. It's been a great run up until now.
I was waiting for your reaction!
Old 07-15-17, 08:39 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

the 'coupe' back end will provide more rear headroom and likely more trunk space.
The coupe-look backend may actually reduce rear headroom and also reduce the height of the rear door (making it more difficult to get in and out of the back seat), as it does on many current cars with fastback styling (including new Civic and current Ford Fusion). As to increased trunk space, I don't think so. The perceived size may be greater because of the smaller trunk opening means a greater (longer) reach into the trunk, but with the smaller trunk opening, it makes it more difficult (if not impossible) to place large items in the trunk. A greater trunk space is just about useless if the trunk opening is smaller.

the hybrid batteries will be in rear seat floor so the trunk won't be compromised.
The new Camry Hybrid will also have its battery under the rear seat. Toyota hybrids were the first to place the hybrid battery under the rear seat.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
After looking at it a bit more, I still stand by the space alien front end I mentioned earlier. The rear though, the way that the roof and back glass is so swooped, why don't they just make the damn thing a hatchback and be done with it??? It looks A LOT like the new Civic hatch and the old Accord Crosstour. If you're going to go with sort of styling that compromises rear headroom, at least make the whole back of the car open up so its a bit more practical.

Overall I give the exterior styling a solid F. If this new turbo 4 is slower, less refined, and noisier than the six cylinder model it replaced, I will 100% say this new Honda Accord is WORSE than the model it replaces.
Yes, making it a hatchback would have increased the size of the trunk opening, making the larger trunk space actually useful.

looking at the pics some more i think it's a better overall design and specs than the new camry.
Originally Posted by robloc93
I honestly don't think its that bad, but I really do like the Camry better, seems like a more cohesive design. I'm sure it'll grow on me.
I try not to comment on styling, since it is a personal preference, but I must agree with you. I was on the fence about the overstyled 2018 Camry, but I believe that it has a much more cohesive design than this new, styled-by-a-3rd-grader 2018 Accord.
Old 07-15-17, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The coupe-look back end may actually reduce rear headroom and also reduce the height of the rear door (making it more difficult to get in and out of the back seat),

May? For people my size, there's no "may" about it LOL.

Admitted, though, for many average-sized adults, the cut in rear-seat room isn't always that big a deal.
Old 07-15-17, 09:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah I don't know why they just don't make it a hatchback or sportsback.
partly because the u.s. has traditionally not been keen on hatchbacks, but maybe that's changing.
but another benefit of this new design will not doubt be aerodynamics and fuel economy. the shape looks very slippery.

the side profile does look a bit impala'ish or malibu, etc., but that IS who honda is competing with besides toyota and camry and even avalon.

us car people on here have gauged the market by sedans for so long it's easy to forget the majority of the market by far is trucks and utility vehicles, and car makers now are doing anything they can to keep sedan sales up, so they know they're not going to appeal to everyone.
but if this new accord is refined, quiet, efficient, affordable, and reliable, it will still sell well, regardless of what we think of the looks.

so we'd better get used to it.

and then in 2021 the front will be redesigned some.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
May? For people my size, there's no "may" about it LOL.
Admitted, though, for many average-sized adults, the cut in rear-seat room isn't always that big a deal.
i don't know your, er, dimensions, but 'average sized' adults that i see can't fit in the back seats of almost any sedans or small utes.
Old 07-15-17, 10:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Will be on the Car & Driver ten best list.
Old 07-15-17, 11:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Mazda 6 has more restrained styling, without the many unresolved and incongruent lines and creases, which is the current fashion.

The front overhang on the Mazda 6 also seems less than the Accord because of the greater dash-to-axle ratio (length from the front axle to the base of the windshield) on the Mazda 6. The Accord has a cab-forward style, with the base of the windshield (and firewall) pulled forward, possibly to maximize interior space. The Mazda 6, however, has the firewall pushed back, to allow for room for their 4-into-2-into-1 exhaust system, a requirement on their high-compression SkyActiv engines.
God love the Mazda 6....But nobody buys it. (from what I understand its smaller and less roomy on the inside)
Old 07-15-17, 06:49 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some rather harsh opinions on this new Accord. Are the true demographic that buys this car really going to judge this car against an M4 or some exotically styled high-horsepower juggernaut. It's an Accord. People buy for different reasons, but they don't worry too much about styling, or 0-60 or carving up the roads. It's an Accord.

Looks ok, not great. But that's what this car's buyers want. It's interesting to see this car's styling critiqued while the same basic shape on the 5LS is praised to the high heavens with its gigantic spindle and rear window pillar treatment. Isn't the lwb 5LS the same basic shape?

To address the idea that this Accord should have been a true hatchback... manufacturers now know that Americans are not interested in hatchbacks at all. They buy big gas guzzling suv's and slightly better cuv's.

The shape of this car should be familiar though. Honda tried with a car called the Crosstour. It didn't workout too well despite being far more practical than an Accord sedan and awd. This is what Honda has learned over the long run.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Honda Accord-2013-honda-crosstour-placement-e1428532124339-626x381.jpg  
Old 07-15-17, 07:23 PM
pman6
Racer

It seems like the accord was designed from a checklist , without any cohesion.

I'm guessing some of the objectives were:
- make it like audi a7 fastback..... but instead of the hatch, give it a small trunk lid.
- make the character line swoopy like the last gen mercedes cls.
-etc
-etc
-etc

and then when they put everything together, it all got lost in translation.

I would buy a hatchback that looked like a sedan. If a car is going for the fastback look, it should have a hatch. Like the Kia Stinger.

I think they could make the deck even longer and still have a hatch.

Last edited by pman6; 07-15-17 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Honda Accord