Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Toyota Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 02:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I'm sorry then you don't know jack about the Supra. To call a Supra a perfect BMW coupe to BMW roots is disregarding the history and the fan-base the Supra name carries. Its insulting to the Supra name that you would even relate it to a BMW.

The problem with the Toyota Supra Mark 5 is not is not Japanese enough nor Supra enough. The problem is - once you strip off the exterior design and Toyota/Supra badges - its a BMW Z4 hard top.
Hell - I would even accepted the Toyota Supra Mark 5 if Toyota just did their own interior design.

Side note: Imagine if the Nissan GTR R35, one of the greatest sports car ever made (legend), was made in Germany, had a BMW M5 engine, BMW transmission, BMW chassis, and BMW interior? How would the GTR fan-base feel? They would riot like the Supra fan-base is now.

The Nissan GTR R36 is rumored to be a hybrid with the engine 100% hand-made in Japan with Nissan engineers. Nissan is the only car company that did the rebirth of their sports car right. The Honda and Toyota royalty F'd up.
I agree 100% and posted something similar on GTR Life. Nissan abandoned the inline 6 for the R35 but it remained legendary because it performed with the best and at one time beat the best until everyone else caught up and surpassed it. The MKIV Supra was legendary and performed with the best at that time and this one does not. Although I’m not big on 2+2 sports cars, it even went away from that. They should have called it something else, the Supra nameplate doesn’t belong.
Old 01-15-19, 02:52 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm pretty sure he said very clearly "I view THIS NEW SUPRA..."
And his views are dismissive of the legendary nameplate "Supra". Thus, leading me to comment on it.

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree 100% and posted something similar on GTR Life. Nissan abandoned the inline 6 for the R35 but it remained legendary because it performed with the best and at one time beat the best until everyone else caught up and surpassed it. The MKIV Supra was legendary and performed with the best at that time and this one does not. Although I’m not big on 2+2 sports cars, it even went away from that. They should have called it something else, the Supra nameplate doesn’t belong.
You bring up a good point. Nissan only abandoned the I6 because the competition caught up. This is why they decided to go with the TTV6. When the R35 first released, it beat every supercar at the time. Nissan has followed this formula for some time. They create a GTR, let it sit for years (decades) and then release another one. The R36, will no doubt, be 100% Japanese and will give Ferrari and Lambo a run for their money.

However - the Supra didn't live up to the Mark 4. Times has changed and Toyota should have adapted. It should have came with the TTV6 from the Lexus LS.
Side note: For all the people saying that money is an issue. Toyota gave us the Lexus LFA (proof they can make an amazing car) then they cheap out and give us a Toyota Supra that is pretty much 99% BMW.

For the price of the Toyota Supra, I can get a M340i. Faster car with 2 more doors.
Old 01-15-19, 03:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sorry then you don't know jack about the Supra. To call a Supra a perfect BMW coupe to BMW roots is disregarding the history and the fan-base the Supra name carries. Its insulting to the Supra name that you would even relate it to a BMW.

The problem with the Toyota Supra Mark 5 is not is not Japanese enough nor Supra enough. The problem is - once you strip off the exterior design and Toyota/Supra badges - its a BMW Z4 hard top.
Hell - I would even accepted the Toyota Supra Mark 5 if Toyota just did their own interior design.

Side note: Imagine if the Nissan GTR R35, one of the greatest sports car ever made (legend), was made in Germany, had a BMW M5 engine, BMW transmission, BMW chassis, and BMW interior? How would the GTR fan-base feel? They would riot like the Supra fan-base is now.

The Nissan GTR R36 is rumored to be a hybrid with the engine 100% hand-made in Japan with Nissan engineers. Nissan is the only car company that did the rebirth of their sports car right. The Honda and Toyota royalty F'd up.
I know quite a bit about the old Supras, but its not the 90ies anymore, and im not in my 20ies anymore, so to me a car is much more than just a car now. If anything, I am glad the new Supra is more BMW than a Toyota, because it comes with the superb iDrive system, instead of whatever subpar abortion that Toyota/Lexus clusterplucks in their vehicles. Also, being a BMW there no doubt it will perform the part. The Supra name and styling just adds to that cool factor. Win win for me.

And for whats it worth, performance aside, being a Nissan the GTR is an utter piece of junk.
Old 01-15-19, 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,536 Likes on 1,831 Posts

And his views are dismissive of the legendary nameplate "Supra". Thus, leading me to comment on it.
Its just a name, most people don't care.

For the price of the Toyota Supra, I can get a M340i. Faster car with 2 more doors.
Assuming you want two more doors. People don't buy coupes because they're cheaper than sedans. By your logic, you can also buy an RX350L because it has an extra row of seats.
Old 01-15-19, 03:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Assuming you want two more doors. People don't buy coupes because they're cheaper than sedans. By your logic, you can also buy an RX350L because it has an extra row of seats.
Exactly, people buy coupes for the cool factor. I personally don't even care for performance all that much, as long as its potent and fun to drive.
Old 01-15-19, 03:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

No way this Supra is "cooler" streetwise than an M340i, IMO at least. I'm not really a BMW guy but the cachet is there. If you could have a heavily loaded 3 series for the same money I'd pick the Bimmer.
Old 01-15-19, 03:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
No way this Supra is "cooler" streetwise than an M340i, IMO at least. I'm not really a BMW guy but the cachet is there. If you could have a heavily loaded 3 series for the same money I'd pick the Bimmer.
The 340i is a sedan, and they are dollar a bucket here in NYC. The Supra is going to be rare and a million times cooler.
Old 01-15-19, 03:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The 340i is a sedan, and they are dollar a bucket here in NYC. The Supra is going to be rare and a million times cooler.
That's subjective. No doubt it's cool but it's not the same thing as the last Supra. That was all Toyota engineering. If it's BMW stuff might as well have an actual Bimmer.

I like sedans btw, I've never had anything else.
Old 01-15-19, 03:53 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
I know quite a bit about the old Supras, but its not the 90ies anymore, and im not in my 20ies anymore, so to me a car is much more than just a car now. If anything, I am glad the new Supra is more BMW than a Toyota, because it comes with the superb iDrive system, instead of whatever subpar abortion that Toyota/Lexus clusterplucks in their vehicles. Also, being a BMW there no doubt it will perform the part. The Supra name and styling just adds to that cool factor. Win win for me.

And for whats it worth, performance aside, being a Nissan the GTR is an utter piece of junk.
Lol. The GT-R is a piece of junk? The GT-R is 10 years old and can beat every car in the BMW line-up still. I wouldn't call that a piece of junk. I call it old. Don't knock on a car that clearly is relevant.

Yeah. It doesn't matter if its not the 90s and you are not in your 20s anymore. I'm not either. But based on your comment what you want is a BMW 2 Seater hard-top - not a Toyota Supra.

Okay. If you think most people don't care, then why are majority of the people are hating it? Seems to me only less than a handful of you actually like it.

With all due respect Steve, that's a slippery slope argument and it just fell flat. My point was because the Toyota Supra and the BMW M340i share the same engine and parts. If the BMW M340i handles, drives, and more powerful than a Supra, why not get something that has 2 more seats and doors?
Old 01-15-19, 04:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Lol. The GT-R is a piece of junk? The GT-R is 10 years old and can beat every car in the BMW line-up still. I wouldn't call that a piece of junk. I call it old. Don't knock on a car that clearly is relevant.
There is not question regarding GTR's performance, but other than that its pretty dreadful.

Yeah. It doesn't matter if its not the 90s and you are not in your 20s anymore. I'm not either. But based on your comment what you want is a BMW 2 Seater hard-top - not a Toyota Supra.
Perhaps, but at the same time the Supra name and the styling only adds to the cool and rare factor. Of course it wont live up to the legendary MKIV, but it's a very exciting coupe on its own merit. Many people complained about the FT86 mostly being a Subaru, but it delivered the intended performance and gained a large following.

If the BMW M340i handles, drives, and more powerful than a Supra, why not get something that has 2 more seats and doors?
That is just silly!

Old 01-15-19, 04:56 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
There is not question regarding GTR's performance, but other than that its pretty dreadful.

Perhaps, but at the same time the Supra name and the styling only adds to the cool and rare factor. Of course it wont live up to the legendary MKIV, but it's a very exciting coupe on its own merit. Many people complained about the FT86 mostly being a Subaru, but it delivered the intended performance and gained a large following.

That is just silly!
How is it dreadful? Are you complaining about the luxury and features? If you buy a GT-R for luxurious, features and showing off, you bought the wrong car. The GT-R is for people who cares about driving - the Ferrari is for the clout. For 100K, I would buy a GT-R over any BMW. I'll even buy a R32 or R34 over any BMW.

The Supra name is meaningless if the car doesn't not deliver. Its like how Mitsubishi is going to name a SUV the EVO. Are people going to buy the SUV because of the EVO name for cool factor? Probably not.
The FT86/BRZ combo was mostly Subaru but the Toyota Supra is all BMW except the exterior styling and badges. Also - the FT86/BRZ didn't have big shoes to fill and it was still Japanese. The Toyota Supra shoes are bigger and now its just German.

There's no doubt the Toyota Supra is going to be rare. Its a SUV market. Sales will be low. And the "cool, rare or wow" factor you are looking for isn't there. To the average person - this is just an expensive FT86. The people that only cares about the Supra are enthusiast but since Toyota gave the fanbase a middle finger - maybe only less than 50% of the enthusiast will care about this car.

How's that silly? Sure. The Toyota Supra is going to do better than the M340i on the track, maybe. But the M340i is probably better than this Supra in every other way - considering the M340i has the full HP from the engine while the Supra's version is detuned.
Old 01-15-19, 05:04 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is nice video on how this new Supra prioritized driving feel above all else. I would pick this over a BMW M240/340 or something like a C43 AMG in a heartbeat ! The real competition for this would be the Porsche Cayman

Old 01-15-19, 05:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

^
That is Toyota promo video!
After that pitiful performance by Toyoda-san ‘’Supra is lit’’ - i don’t believe anything they say.
Old 01-15-19, 05:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Are you serious?

The Supra NAME is the only thing TOYOTA has that is cool or performance related.
The Supra NAME is the only reason why ppl even paid attention for past 5years while this thing was developed.

To a lot of ppl with $$$ to buy this and who are enthusiasts - Supra has a strong meaning.

Old 01-15-19, 05:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Exactly, people buy coupes for the cool factor. I personally don't even care for performance all that much, as long as its potent and fun to drive.
Just bec that applies to you - it is not true for everyone especially those that will spend $60k on a 2 seater with ZERO practicality.
I would have no issue if this was called Celica GT or something else but its NOT a real Supra in any way.

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Supra