Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS300 purchase vs lease

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 04:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Me and my buddy refer to constantly swapping cars, as, "JKB fever." The reason is those are his dad's initials, and when we were in HS, his dad would come home with a new used car maybe every 3-6 mos., and we would eagerly anticipate what would come next. And, having 3 boys and a girl in the household, he always had 4-5 cars total (oldest brother I never really knew). Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Subaru, you name it. But of course my favs were the BMWs and Volvos, and a turbodiesel S class MB. The Subarus were all purchased new as were the Volvos, the rest used. Maybe that's why my first 3 cars were Volvos, who knows. When we reconnected he was getting out of an Odyssey, and into a CR-V, and now had 2 more CR-Vs, his and hers. But last year, JKB fever came back and he got a 1965 Mustang convertible. Interesting, 3 Thanksgivings ago he told me back in his day, when you were 50, you were forced out. He was a CPA with a then big 8. So he found himself 57 y.o., and he made partner, being forced into retirement, but said he found that he had not saved enough because he already had 2 in college, and 3 more headed there. He did consulting work through his late 60's, and I got the feeling he wasn't recommending it....

p.s. my buddy said his uncle was into the American wagons like me, and would get a new one every 2-3 years....never met this uncle as he was in MI...
Old 05-23-17, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Me and my buddy refer to constantly swapping cars, as, "JKB fever." The reason is those are his dad's initials, and when we were in HS, his dad would come home with a new used car maybe every 3-6 mos., and we would eagerly anticipate what would come next. And, having 3 boys and a girl in the household, he always had 4-5 cars total (oldest brother I never really knew). Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Subaru, you name it. But of course my favs were the BMWs and Volvos, and a turbodiesel S class MB. The Subarus were all purchased new as were the Volvos, the rest used. Maybe that's why my first 3 cars were Volvos, who knows. When we reconnected he was getting out of an Odyssey, and into a CR-V, and now had 2 more CR-Vs, his and hers. But last year, JKB fever came back and he got a 1965 Mustang convertible. Interesting, 3 Thanksgivings ago he told me back in his day, when you were 50, you were forced out. He was a CPA with a then big 8. So he found himself 57 y.o., and he made partner, being forced into retirement, but said he found that he had not saved enough because he already had 2 in college, and 3 more headed there. He did consulting work through his late 60's, and I got the feeling he wasn't recommending it....

p.s. my buddy said his uncle was into the American wagons like me, and would get a new one every 2-3 years....never met this uncle as he was in MI...
Gotta be careful buying and selling more than just a couple of vehicles in any one given year, though. Depending on the state and just how they are written, one could (?) run into curbstoning laws, which require a license to buy and sell more than a certain number of vehicles in a year.
Old 05-23-17, 07:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta be careful buying and selling more than just a couple of vehicles in any one given year, though. Depending on the state and just how they are written, one could (?) run into curbstoning laws, which require a license to buy and sell more than a certain number of vehicles in a year.
Interesting, one would think that if it's for personal consumption, one is free to waste one's money as one sees fit! (just having fun with the third person, there was a bitog thread where everybody started to refer to themselves like that).....

I know my in-laws got fined for having so many cars in their driveway (private property). PD was in the driveway recently with a flashlight looking at a Volvo with FLA tags. A nosey neighbor complained they are operating a motor vehicle repair shop out of their residence, which they are not (having all kinds of tools, air compressors, 50 ton presses, etc. really doesn't help the case). They just happen to work on cars and have so many in-laws who live in NYC and have no garage space to do so.
Old 05-23-17, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

That's not curbstoning lol
Old 05-23-17, 04:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldglv
I would prefer to keep the car longer than 6 years, had my last IS350 for 8 1/2 before I traded it in so I'm looking to do the same thing here. I was only wondering what the difference is between owning in 6 years and trading as opposed to leasing for 6 years.
I think you have your answer then. Even at 6 years I would buy vs lease if I were you. If the financials are the same, then you are in a better position at year 6 as you can keep, sell, trade, or do whatever you want. Your life might not be the same as you think it is when you first sign the first lease.
Old 05-23-17, 04:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's not curbstoning lol
No, not in most places. I just brought it up, though, because laws differ state by state. Pat Goss, from Motorweek (I don't know if you listen to his call-in show or not....I occasionally do) repeatedly warns people about that, though, who buy and sell more than a couple of cars each year.
Old 05-25-17, 07:13 AM
Goldglv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their input, wound up financing it in the end. Loving the car so far!
Old 05-25-17, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy it.
Old 05-25-17, 11:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their input, wound up financing it in the end. Loving the car so far!
Good stuff. Financing is such a better option than leasing.. Enjoy your new purchase!!!!
Old 05-25-17, 11:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Glad you are enjoying it. Let us know how it does.