Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS300 purchase vs lease

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldglv
I would prefer to keep the car longer than 6 years, had my last IS350 for 8 1/2 before I traded it in so I'm looking to do the same thing here. I was only wondering what the difference is between owning in 6 years and trading as opposed to leasing for 6 years.
Then you should buy
Old 05-22-17, 11:48 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good for you. Not having a lot of debt and paying off the credit cards is a wise decision.

I think it would be fair for the OP to see a calculation of owning the car for a full 9 years versus leasing the (three of) same car for 9 years. Or better yet, go to 12 years of having the car versus having a lease for 12 years. The OP is sort of going it wrong by wanting to buy and then trade the car after 6 years. The advantage of buying car and getting all the payments over with is that once its paid, you can do whatever you want with the car, you can keep it, sell it, trade it, donate it, give it away, destroy it, sleep in it, etc etc. So many things can change from year 4-12 that having that car paid off and owning can be worth it.

Keeping it for 10 years minimum is the best option for the OP if he is going to buy the car.
Well, it's already evident that going past 6 years will save more and more money, no need to actually do a 10 or 12 year projection!
I calculated 6 years because the OP wanted to keep it for 6. It's a personal choice really. I don't like to keep my cars for more than 3-4 years. The longest I've kept a car is 6 years and it was tenuous at the end of that 6 years. Then again, it was for a much more expensive car that wasn't reliable.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
my younger bro's buddy is a partner at a big 4. He made this statement when my sis in-law bought her '17 A4: "Only idiots buy cars, they're depreciating assets. Why would anyone put money into such a thing as that?"

My brother says that I purchased a 1998 Maxima and am still driving it, so you're saying he should have leased instead? To which he replied, c'mon, your brother is the exception, he obviously doesn't care about what kind of car he's driving....

Maybe that's the key.
Your younger bro's buddy is not entirely wrong if you want to buy a new car every 3 or 6 years. You just have to do the math and gauge what you want to spend your money on. Almost everything we buy is depreciating. Life would be pretty boring if we only bought things that never depreciated. We can't always be 100% financially responsible, we gotta follow our hearts a little bit. Some people love cars as more than just a tool.
Old 05-22-17, 11:51 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am willing to slightly change my tune on leasing vs buying. Everyone's circumstance is not the same, I can find respect in that.

That's the key I think. We can't make blanket statements like "leasing is like throwing away money", which I hear so often.
Old 05-22-17, 11:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ragingf80
That's the key I think. We can't make blanket statements like "leasing is like throwing away money", which I hear so often.
Which we hear so often from this particular source too lol
Old 05-22-17, 05:32 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

We ate out 2X this past weekend. The first outing on Sat. went well. But on Sunday, my wife impulsively ordered a lemonade. I kicked her under the table but she ignored me and ordered it anyway. $2.99 for a drink that if she could wait until we got to the car, we had at least 3 Poland Springs in the cupholders. I'm poking fun but $2.99 when she doesn't even finish the drink, is throwing money away. At the same time, eating out 2X is doing the same. We could have stayed home and enjoyed the oatmeal and gruel, it's really not that bad with syrup.

I hear you guys, I think the key is to have a plan, stick to it, and know why you did it. And if you made a mistake, learn from it. I don't think anyone here can decide a lease vs. buy for someone else, but they can offer their experience and understanding of the terms and numbers...
Old 05-22-17, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You eat gruel with syrup!? Spendthrift.
Old 05-22-17, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You eat gruel with syrup!? Spendthrift.
One of my favorite snacks is to make fresh popcorn and put a little honey on it (not a lot) and mix it in...good source of grain/fiber and a healthy sweeter that is much better for you than white table sugar. .
Old 05-22-17, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
We ate out 2X this past weekend. The first outing on Sat. went well. But on Sunday, my wife impulsively ordered a lemonade. I kicked her under the table but she ignored me and ordered it anyway. $2.99 for a drink that if she could wait until we got to the car, we had at least 3 Poland Springs in the cupholders. I'm poking fun but $2.99 when she doesn't even finish the drink, is throwing money away. At the same time, eating out 2X is doing the same. We could have stayed home and enjoyed the oatmeal and gruel, it's really not that bad with syrup.
I won't get involved in your marriage, but, personally, I don't think a $2.99 drink is worth a major argument.
Old 05-22-17, 06:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One of my favorite snacks is to make fresh popcorn and put a little honey on it (not a lot) and mix it in...good source of grain/fiber and a healthy sweeter that is much better for you than white table sugar. .
You wild man you
Old 05-22-17, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'll agree from that point of view. But, at the same time, what IS throwing money away (sometimes lots of it), is when people are so "sure" that they want a certain vehicle, and then, a year or two later, with the steep depreciation-curve, change their minds and take a major bath on the trade-in or early-lease termination. We've seen that, even right here on Car Chat. I don't remember the poster's name (and probably wouldn't use it if I did)...but one case involved an Audi S5 (which not a cheap car to begin with, by any means) that the guy bought and loved....until he test-drove a Mercedes AMG less than a year later. The AMG, of course, had more power (most AMG products do.....even the entry-level ones), and, despite advice from several of us to the contrary, he just HAD to have it, bath or no bath. What can you say in a case like that?

That's why it's important to KNOW what you want when you sign those papers...and be sure you aren't going to change your mind tomorrow.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-22-17 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Eh, its just money. If you've got it to spend, and its not hurting you to spend it, who are we to tell you you're "throwing money away".?
Old 05-22-17, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Eh, its just money. If you've got it to spend, and its not hurting you to spend it, who are we to tell you you're "throwing money away".?
Oh, I agree it's not hurting me personally. But, IMO, it still makes little sense....particularly if one is going to need that money for other things. This person had also asked a number of us for advice....several times, and then clearly disregarded it. I see no ill or evil in mentioning that....hopefully others will not follow and make the same mistake.
Old 05-22-17, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I agree it's not hurting me personally. But, IMO, it still makes little sense....particularly if one is going to need that money for other things. This person had also asked a number of us for advice....several times, and then clearly disregarded it. I see no ill or evil in mentioning that....hopefully others will not follow and make the same mistake.
It doesn't have to make sense to us, everybody has different priorities. I know people who take 5 figure losses on cars on a whim no problem. Lots of people out there with a lot of money to throw around.
Old 05-22-17, 07:39 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

I'll agree from that point of view. But, at the same time, what IS throwing money away (sometimes lots of it), is when people are so "sure" that they want a certain vehicle, and then, a year or two later, with the steep depreciation-curve, change their minds and take a major bath on the trade-in or early-lease termination. We've seen that, even right here on Car Chat. I don't remember the poster's name (and probably wouldn't use it if I did)...but one case involved an Audi S5 (which not a cheap car to begin with, by any means) that the guy bought and loved....until he test-drove a Mercedes AMG less than a year later. The AMG, of course, had more power (most AMG products do.....even the entry-level ones), and, despite advice from several of us to the contrary, he just HAD to have it, bath or no bath. What can you say in a case like that?

That's why it's important to KNOW what you want when you sign those papers...and be sure you aren't going to change your mind tomorrow.

I'd say so long as he knew he was taking a bath, that's his money to burn! I can't say that I'm innocent of such folly, however. The shortest I've ever owned a car is 3 months and it was a bloody bath indeed. Lets just leave it at that.
Old 05-22-17, 08:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'd say so long as he knew he was taking a bath, that's his money to burn! I can't say that I'm innocent of such folly, however. The shortest I've ever owned a car is 3 months and it was a bloody bath indeed. Lets just leave it at that.
I can't say I'm totally innocent, either, but not in modern times. Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, American cars were so poorly built (I'm not exaggerating), and warranties so short (only 1/12 on everything) that I wasted money several times before I finally said the hell with it and converted to Japanese makes.

Quick Reply: IS300 purchase vs lease