Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What kind of wheels do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 01:13 PM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of wheels do I have?

Hi everyone. I just bought my new car this morning I'm not a huge fan of these 20" wheels and plan to sell/trade for the stock gunmetal 19s.

How do I find out the exact type of these wheels? I need to price them accordingly on craigslist. I believe these come in forged and cast iron, I'm not sure how to tell the difference- thank you and I appreciate your help!

Old 04-29-17, 01:26 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.cecwheels.com/collection/c882

Last edited by bagwell; 04-29-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 01:42 PM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell
youre a good man, thank you.
Old 04-29-17, 01:43 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I prefer an OEM look myself, but have to admit, those rims look pretty nice. What size is the rubber? Are they staggered? If it were me I'd probably cruise around on those for a while to see how they behave...

p.s. the only thing about huge rims is they make the rotors look small, but isn't that an F Sport? So the brakes are pretty big I think...
Old 04-29-17, 01:47 PM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I prefer an OEM look myself, but have to admit, those rims look pretty nice. What size is the rubber? Are they staggered? If it were me I'd probably cruise around on those for a while to see how they behave...
lol I hear ya, thank you. The rubbers are 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear. They are nice for sure, but for me, I like it a little simpler so am looking for the oem 19s :

Last edited by tony247; 04-29-17 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 01:50 PM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

Bagwell, there's the regular c882 and then the c882 Forged. Any idea how to tell them apart?
Old 04-29-17, 03:43 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tony247
Bagwell, there's the regular c882 and then the c882 Forged. Any idea how to tell them apart?
No idea, but you can probably take 1 wheel off and look for info - or contact the manufacturer.
Old 04-29-17, 03:46 PM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

No idea, but you can probably take 1 wheel off and look for info - or contact the manufacturer.
Got it, good idea. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-29-17, 03:46 PM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

BTW, silly question here, but what annotation tool did you use for the green arrow? I've been searching for one and I assumed you did that quite quickly lol thanks.
Old 04-29-17, 04:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hi everyone. I just bought my new car this morning I'm not a huge fan of these 20" wheels and plan to sell/trade for the stock gunmetal 19s.

How do I find out the exact type of these wheels? I need to price them accordingly on craigslist. I believe these come in forged and cast iron, I'm not sure how to tell the difference- thank you and I appreciate your help!
Congratulations on your purchase.

First of all, alloy wheels don't use cast iron.....it would be too heavy. By definition, they use an alloy (a mix of two or more metals, usually with aluminum as the primary base). Even the majority of engine blocks don't use cast iron any more. Forged-aluminum wheels usually cost more than cast-aluminum ones, because of their more expensive production techniques and greater strength.

I'm not sure just what your question or intention is. Did you buy the car with these 20" aftermarket wheels, and now want to sell them on Craigslist and replace them with 19" wheels? That's what it appears to be.

Whatever wheels and tires you end up with, make sure that the outside rolling-diameter of he tire is the same (or close to) what it was stock, because on modern cars, a number of different functions of the car's engine/transmission computer, speedometer, odometer, tire-pressure, anti-lock brakes, etc.... function on how sensors determine wheel-rotation speeds. Larger-than-stock wheels/tires can lead to slower wheel rotations, and your speedometer and odometer both reading low, which could make it easier to get speeding tickets, and possibly void the car's warranty, if the warranty is still applicable.

The rubbers are 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rear.
(All else equal), tire-profiles that low will give you a harsh ride, less traction on slippery roads, and more chance of tire/wheel damage from pothole or sharp-bump impacts. But it will quicken up the steering response on dry roads and make the car more responsive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-30-17 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 05:29 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did they not publish the weight? I bet these are pigs. All show no go? I'd swap them as well. Congrats on the new car OP!
Old 04-29-17, 05:39 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Came in cast iron?!? Those wheels must have been heavier than the car!
Old 04-30-17, 07:47 AM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did you buy the car with these 20" aftermarket wheels, and now want to sell them on Craigslist and replace them with 19" wheels? That's what it appears to be.

(All else equal), tire-profiles that low will give you a harsh ride, less traction on slippery roads, and more chance of tire/wheel damage from pothole or sharp-bump impacts. But it will quicken up the steering response on dry roads and make the car more responsive.
Thank you for your tips! Yes, I am wanting to replace them with stock 19" wheels. The ride is not as comfortable as others I've experienced so going back to stock wheels will happen. Do you think taking off the 20s and putting on 19s without additional modifications be ok?
Old 04-30-17, 07:48 AM
tony247
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Did they not publish the weight? I bet these are pigs. All show no go? I'd swap them as well. Congrats on the new car OP!
lol, thank you. I bought this car from a non-lexus dealer so not much details were given on the car.
Old 04-30-17, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thank you for your tips! Yes, I am wanting to replace them with stock 19" wheels. The ride is not as comfortable as others I've experienced so going back to stock wheels will happen. Do you think taking off the 20s and putting on 19s without additional modifications be ok?
If the outside (rolling) diameter of the entire wheel/tire assembly is at or close to stock, there is enough air going through the wheel-spokes for brake-cooling, and the tires fit and turn in the wheel-wells without clearance problems or rubbing, then you probably shouldn't have any problems. I'd avoid Chinese-made aftermarket wheels, though, as I've heard (admittedly, without personal experience), that their quality and durability is not to the standard of many others.

Quick Reply: What kind of wheels do I have?