Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Considering neighbor's '05 A4 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 11:13 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430FL
I was just kidding about the money between friends I agree it might be a good price. Do you all agree with KBB values? I looked up the value and the private party sale on the car is $4,162 fair and $4,564 for good condition. Went to look at the car today. Its alright, but it is a used car for sure. Not exactly what I expected but then again it is 12 years old. All 4 rims have large amounts of curb rash. Paint seems nice with one ding. Top seems newer. Inside needs a really good cleaning. Leather and trim is very very dirty. Headlights are cloudy. Glove box needs to be fixed or replaced when you open it the hinges are shot so it just falls off. Thing that scared me the worst is that when putting top down it got stuck half way and had to be put down and then up manually and reset and now is working fine. I would think this places the car is the Fair- good category....
If KBB is at $4162 fair $4564 good you are not getting a great deal at all on it at $4500, $2000 would be a great deal. Older Audi's or German cars can often be money pits just to keep running, his does not sound special or in great condition from what you describe and it needs a nice chunk of money put into it. I would say you are not interested and just say you are a little nervous about older Audi's after some research.
Old 04-23-17, 11:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I would MAYBE do it if every button, switch, light, the power top, accessory, etc worked on the car. And if he had a stack of service receipts. As far as the cosmetic condition goes, dirty doesn't bother me, a good detail can fix that. Things like scratches, a major accident, bad body work, failing clear coat that would be a no go for me.

You said the top wasn't working right, that alone would give me second thoughts, could be an expensive fix and would require some investigating on the Audi forum before I'd buy it.

Also for $4500-5k could get you a NICE(not perfect) NA or NB Miata with under 100k miles on it. Those cars are a riot to drive(lot more fun than the Audi), very reliable, and very simple/easy to work on. If they do break, they're cheap to fix or if you're handy with a wrench you can DIY.

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-23-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-23-17, 06:58 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I only have experience with newer Audis, and they have been very reliable. However, older Audis are notorious for issues. I owned a brand new '01 A6 4.2 and it had electrical glitches and squealing brakes within the first couple of months. I also have a colleague at work who has an Audi convertible from the same generation you are considering. It has lots of squeaks and rattles and the top is leaking badly. She is in Seattle, so that's not a good thing! She has already had it in for service to get the top repaired. I agree with the comments re: the Miata.

Last edited by dseag2; 04-23-17 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 01:38 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Ok, I appreciate the advice guys. I think I will pass based on some of the issues that are either present or could come in the future. We are great friends so I think its best to just say I am not interested and move on. Not to mention book value is slightly below or right at his asking and I don't think he wants to take into account any of the repairs (potentially the top, wheels, back rear window up and down issue). I am not one to spend full retail and then go into my pocket for repairs to make the car right and never get it back. if it were $3k or so then I would consider it but I think everything should at least be fully operational for top of the mark. Better to play it safe and just walk away and remain friends.
Old 04-24-17, 07:00 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 233 Posts

Ok, I appreciate the advice guys. I think I will pass based on some of the issues that are either present or could come in the future. We are great friends so I think its best to just say I am not interested and move on. Not to mention book value is slightly below or right at his asking and I don't think he wants to take into account any of the repairs (potentially the top, wheels, back rear window up and down issue). I am not one to spend full retail and then go into my pocket for repairs to make the car right and never get it back. if it were $3k or so then I would consider it but I think everything should at least be fully operational for top of the mark. Better to play it safe and just walk away and remain friends.
Now that you have crossed this one off of your list, you should buy my Audi S5...! We just need to add a "2" in front of the price offered by your buddy!

In all seriousness, I have really enjoyed having my S5 as a 3rd car. Audi offers a truly different driving experience... But repair costs are no joke. It cost me somewhere around $350 to get the battery replaced. I think you're doing the right thing by passing on this one- you'd hate to have a car change your friendship.
Old 04-24-17, 08:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Reading threads like this makes me really question the way Germans build cars. Granted they have great designs(MB and Audi have really been on a roll since the mid/late 00's IMO), the cars are beautifully finished and built, great interiors, great paint, extremely solid feel, they don't rust, there is that "solid" feel about a German car, both when its new and has 100k on it, they still feel tight and don't rattle.

Its just that they have absolutely no regard for servicing their cars in an economical manner. Parts are expensive, you need specialty tools, they're hard to work on, stuff breaks that doesn't break on an American or Japanese car. Now granted I understand a Benz is going to cost more to maintain, but a VW should be right in line with service costs on a Malibu or a Camry, but they're WAY more expensive to keep on the road(same comparison can be made about Benz vs Lexus, service costs are WAY higher on the Benz)

Not to mention the electronics flat out suck. I don't know if its them pushing the bleeding edge of technology, they don't know how to design an electrical system, or they cheap out on wiring harnesses and electrical components, or all three of the combined, but its the flaky electrical problems that really steer me clear of ever buying or recommending a German car. Maybe a Benz or Audi new or cpo with a warranty, but I'd still never recommend a BMW or VW(mainly because VW owners don't have $2000 to spend when their car breaks down out of warranty and they still have payments on it)
Old 04-25-17, 10:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

I think I will pass based on some of the issues that are either present or could come in the future. We are great friends so I think its best to just say I am not interested and move on. Not to mention book value is slightly below or right at his asking and I don't think he wants to take into account any of the repairs (potentially the top, wheels, back rear window up and down issue). I am not one to spend full retail and then go into my pocket for repairs to make the car right and never get it back. if it were $3k or so then I would consider it but I think everything should at least be fully operational for top of the mark. Better to play it safe and just walk away and remain friends.
first off, issues could come on any car, including news ones, in the future.

sounds though like you just really weren't into the car anyway, so passing at any price was probably the right thing to do. but also sounds like you would have bought it 'if' you thought you were getting a good deal even if you're not really into it (which doesn't makes sense to me, but each to their own). IF you're into it, and if $4500 is KBB for 'good' then you gently point that out to your friend with the top, window and any other issues and say if those things were fixed you'd consider paying $4500, otherwise, you'll have to pass. that way, it gives him the option to decide if he wants to fix it or ask you what you would be willing to pay as is, and then you could say that if you wanted and still be friends.
Old 04-25-17, 05:14 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think this is a wise choice, OP. Price is not that much of a discount, and after owning 2 Audi's myself, there WILL be some costly repairs coming up. So unless you really love the car and have an emotional attachment to it, this small bargain is not bargain enough to weather that storm and risk a friendship in the process.
Old 04-25-17, 05:28 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I would personally stay away from a used Audi with higher miles without warranty. They seem to be real money pits. Just ask my next door neighbor with the Audi RS-4, I will credit him with good mechanical skills and a lot of patience, but that car spends 4-5 weeks in repairs, and then 2 weeks on the road.

Secondly, I don't buy or do business with neighbors.
Old 04-25-17, 05:39 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Not attached to it at all. I have been throwing around the idea of picking up a convertible for a few months just had not decided what to buy. I happened to be talking to my friend last week about cars and without me saying anything about a convertible he told me he was looking to get rid of his after getting his wife the jag. I don't know the first thing about Audi's at all nor do I know about their maintenance cost beyond just mere research and reading a few threads on an Audi forum that came up after a simple google search on the year and model of the car. That is exactly why I am here asking you all. I really appreciate everyones advice both for and against it.
Old 04-25-17, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Reading threads like this makes me really question the way Germans build cars. Granted they have great designs(MB and Audi have really been on a roll since the mid/late 00's IMO), the cars are beautifully finished and built, great interiors, great paint, extremely solid feel, they don't rust, there is that "solid" feel about a German car, both when its new and has 100k on it, they still feel tight and don't rattle.

Its just that they have absolutely no regard for servicing their cars in an economical manner. Parts are expensive, you need specialty tools, they're hard to work on, stuff breaks that doesn't break on an American or Japanese car. Now granted I understand a Benz is going to cost more to maintain, but a VW should be right in line with service costs on a Malibu or a Camry, but they're WAY more expensive to keep on the road(same comparison can be made about Benz vs Lexus, service costs are WAY higher on the Benz)

Not to mention the electronics flat out suck. I don't know if its them pushing the bleeding edge of technology, they don't know how to design an electrical system, or they cheap out on wiring harnesses and electrical components, or all three of the combined, but its the flaky electrical problems that really steer me clear of ever buying or recommending a German car. Maybe a Benz or Audi new or cpo with a warranty, but I'd still never recommend a BMW or VW(mainly because VW owners don't have $2000 to spend when their car breaks down out of warranty and they still have payments on it)
Not all German cars are lemons. Opel products are known for good quality.....as are the Buick products that are basically just re-badged versions of Opels. And newer Audis, according to Consumer Reports, have shown a stunning gain in reliability.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-25-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 05:57 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000

Most German cars are like a wild night in Vegas. Once you've had enough coke and hookers, you flush the evidence down the toilet, pay the ladies and give them the boot! You're out quite a bit of cash, but man... what a night!!!
Old 04-25-17, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Most German cars are like a wild night in Vegas. Once you've had enough coke and hookers, you flush the evidence down the toilet, pay the ladies and give them the boot! You're out quite a bit of cash, but man... what a night!!!
With coke, you can be out a lot more than cash. As with heroin, many people who use it OD and are out their lives....or other serious health problems.

Actually, more than with German cars, I'd compare a night in Vegas to a Jaguar convertible. Though it is last-generation compared to today's Jags, I remember a special full-review I did on a $106K Jaguar XKR (supercharged) convertible....driving it was quite an experience.
Old 04-25-17, 07:58 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With coke, you can be out a lot more than cash. As with heroin, many people who use it OD and are out their lives....or other serious health problems.
yeah... that's a bummer.