Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Genesis G80 Sport

Old 06-01-17, 06:57 PM
balfor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I would chime in here as I have a '15 Genesis (same body style as G80) and I just drove the G80 sport last week. I have owned Lexus for about 14 years, mostly GS models (had a '01 GS300, '03 GS430, '06 LS 430 '11 GS350, and '13 GS350 F sport). My wife still has a RX350 and I still like the brand, but wanted to try something different and leased a Genesis two years ago.

The G80, IMHO is a great car and the sport model takes it that much further. The looks and updates to the interior are great, black suede headliner, carbon trim, etc. No it is not the flashiest interior you can buy but it is functional and attractive in a "clean" sort of way. It will probably age well as it is just a solid design, not over the top.

The G80 sport does not handle as well as a GS F sport but it is close. It is a bigger and heavier car, so considering that it handles pretty well. It is more comfortable and the new 3.3 turbo is very impressive. It is extremely smooth with great low end torque, felt very much like a large V8 and it reminded me of the my old LS430 as far as smooth acceleration. Then you can switch to sport mode and it becomes quite responsive and fun. The transmission is also on point, very smooth in normal driving and always in the right gear. The car is extremely quiet on the highway too.

All in all, I see the G80 as somewhat of a cross between the GS and the LS. Not as sporty as the GS but nearly as smooth and quiet as the LS, all for many thousands less. You do get an almost crazy amount of equipment, laser cruise, auto brake, heads up display, 360 degree parking camera, 17 speaker sound, etc. Many options that you can't even normally find on a Lexus on the lot.

I love my Genesis and will likely get a G80 when my lease ends so that is the vote with my wallet from a long time Lexus owner. Take that for what it is worth, but the Genesis is the real deal in my opinion.
Old 06-01-17, 07:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for your input. IMO the G80 is an outstanding car!
Old 06-01-17, 07:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by balfor
Thought I would chime in here as I have a '15 Genesis (same body style as G80) and I just drove the G80 sport last week. I have owned Lexus for about 14 years, mostly GS models (had a '01 GS300, '03 GS430, '06 LS 430 '11 GS350, and '13 GS350 F sport). My wife still has a RX350 and I still like the brand, but wanted to try something different and leased a Genesis two years ago.

The G80, IMHO is a great car and the sport model takes it that much further. The looks and updates to the interior are great, black suede headliner, carbon trim, etc. No it is not the flashiest interior you can buy but it is functional and attractive in a "clean" sort of way. It will probably age well as it is just a solid design, not over the top.

The G80 sport does not handle as well as a GS F sport but it is close. It is a bigger and heavier car, so considering that it handles pretty well. It is more comfortable and the new 3.3 turbo is very impressive. It is extremely smooth with great low end torque, felt very much like a large V8 and it reminded me of the my old LS430 as far as smooth acceleration. Then you can switch to sport mode and it becomes quite responsive and fun. The transmission is also on point, very smooth in normal driving and always in the right gear. The car is extremely quiet on the highway too.

All in all, I see the G80 as somewhat of a cross between the GS and the LS. Not as sporty as the GS but nearly as smooth and quiet as the LS, all for many thousands less. You do get an almost crazy amount of equipment, laser cruise, auto brake, heads up display, 360 degree parking camera, 17 speaker sound, etc. Many options that you can't even normally find on a Lexus on the lot.

I love my Genesis and will likely get a G80 when my lease ends so that is the vote with my wallet from a long time Lexus owner. Take that for what it is worth, but the Genesis is the real deal in my opinion.
This mirrors my experience with the Genesis/G80, sort of like a "mini-LS". The G90 is a huge contender to replace my LS when the time comes.
Old 06-01-17, 07:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The G90 is a huge contender to replace my LS when the time comes.
The current G90, IMO, actually beats the LS in the quality of some of its hardware, but lacks some of the LS's magic-carpet refinement on the road. The LS, along with newer versions of the Mercedes S550, is a industry benchmark in that department.
Old 06-01-17, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The current G90, IMO, actually beats the LS in the quality of some of its hardware, but lacks some of the LS's magic-carpet refinement on the road. The LS, along with newer versions of the Mercedes S550, is a industry benchmark in that department.
Don't have to tell me about the LS460, I've owned one for 25 months. I love my LS, but I don't agree. The G90 I drove was easily the equal of my LS in every way on the road. Just as smooth and quiet. The S550 is a step above them both.

I think if you drove the G90 and an LS460 back to back you'd find the same thing. Also remember the G90 is $25,000 cheaper than a comparable LS460L, so even if it wasn't quite as smooth $25,000 is a staggering sum of money to save.

The LS rides great but so does everything in that segment now. 7 Series, G90, S Class all ride just as well as the LS or better. XJ and A8 are firmer
Old 06-02-17, 05:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

if i were buying a luxury sports sedan today, this is the one i'd get.
Old 06-24-17, 11:45 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by balfor

That's really helpful! Thanks for the perspective from someone has has owned similar cars. Yeah, I'm not looking to get an M5/E63/GS-F type of car (well, that's not entirely true...I've love an S7 or RS7), just something that's similar to what I have but with a bit better suspension, steering feel, etc., all of the fun amenities, and comfortable for me as a daily driver and for my family (wife + 7 year old twins) when I drive them around.

I still haven't gone to the dealership to test drive it, in part because I know if I do really like it I might well leave with it. I'm thinking I'll wait a few more months for the deals to start happening. Right now with the limited inventory there doesn't seem to be much movement off of MSRP. My guess is that toward the end of the year that will likely change and there will more compelling pricing available.

One of my neighbors just picked up an Audi S5 Sportback and it looks really nice. Like a little sibling to the S7 and seats four. When the time comes I may take a look at that as well. It's a smaller car with a higher price, but I really enjoyed my S4.

Last edited by SCWells72; 06-25-17 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 02:19 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I've always liked Genesis G80 nose & side.
Tail a trifle bland.
Interior nice, if not a trifle bland.
3.3 V6 Twin Turbo sounds good.
I could easily leave Lexus in the next couple of years especially if Akio keeps stuffing around trying to make something sporty out of Lexus & Toyota.
I was always taught to be my unique self, and not to pretend to be someone else.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 06-24-17, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if i were buying a luxury sports sedan today, this is the one i'd get.
Actually, you've GOT one......on stilts LOL.
Old 06-27-17, 08:30 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The G80 Sport and upcoming G70 really peak my interest. I was thinking of trading my Genesis for 1 off them. Leaning towards lighter and smaller G70 if it lives up to the hype and anticipation.... Also curious how tuners are able to unmap that ECU to bring out some real power......