Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help me to decide whether to buy my brother's '95 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-17, 07:00 AM
Polanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me to decide whether to buy my brother's '95 SC400

First at all thank you for taking the time to read this!
Lets get to the point, please don't hate me for saying the following thing, but I'm not a fan of Toyota/Lexus I'm known they make great lasting cars but I find them kinda boring!
Well my brother has a 1995 SC400 with 97,000 miles on it that he want to sale me, it's almost in perfect condition from bumper to bumper, the interior it's in great shape with leather seats with no scratches. The radio, it turns on but doesn't work but it's the original and I think it could be fixable, the A/C works but is not too cold and he said he ad gas last year and this is my biggest concerns , the engine looks very solid with no leaks, it has an automatic transmission, very fast car he puts tires less than 2000 miles ago, and every single button works, he wants $3,700.
What do you guys think? It worth?
I'll appreciate if you are very honest to me
Old 04-16-17, 08:01 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Before anybody tries to answer this question, you must ask yourself if you want the car. You have said that you find Toyota and Lexus cars boring. So, do you really want this Lexus?

If you don't want it, any sale price is going to be too high. If you don't want the car, you don't want to spend the money on the car; you would rather spend the money elsewhere.
Old 04-16-17, 09:00 AM
Polanco
Driver School Candidate

Very smart opinion, I think I know what I gonna do.
Thank you.
And beside that, what do you think about the car?
Old 04-16-17, 09:43 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Polanco
Lets get to the point, please don't hate me for saying the following thing, but I'm not a fan of Toyota/Lexus I'm known they make great lasting cars but I find them kinda boring!
Well my brother has a 1995 SC400 with 97,000 miles on it that he want to sale me, it's almost in perfect condition from bumper to bumper, the interior it's in great shape with leather seats with no scratches. The radio, it turns on but doesn't work but it's the original and I think it could be fixable, the A/C works but is not too cold and he said he ad gas last year and this is my biggest concerns , the engine looks very solid with no leaks, it has an automatic transmission, very fast car he puts tires less than 2000 miles ago, and every single button works, he wants $3,700.
Do you trust your brother? If yes, buy it.
Old 04-16-17, 10:11 AM
Polanco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gs400998
Do you trust your brother? If yes, buy it.
I trust him, he's my best friend and a very good man, but I have not experience with Lexus and don't know much this model
Old 04-16-17, 03:26 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's almost 25 years old--it's a classic. When I was a teenager in the 80s, any car that was from the 60s was cool and desirable. I'd definitely do it--the original Lexus SC was awesome.
Old 04-16-17, 03:38 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 377 Likes on 255 Posts

Go over to the SC300-400 forum and you will get a lot of input. If the car is in as good a shape as you indicate, especially the interior, that is a good value.

And as for being boring, there are a lot of mods and improvements to be had depending on your approach and interests....

I am biased, of course..... My '92 is over 5 years in the make over and it will be with me for a very long time past the 25 years so far....
Old 04-16-17, 03:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well my brother has a 1995 SC400 with 97,000 miles on it

Welcome to CL. Honesty you want.....honesty you'll get.

I understand how you would find a number of Toyota/Lexus products (at least from that vintage...around 20 years ago) to be boring in terms of driving like a appliance. The average BMW from that period, for instance, was far more engaging. But, IMO, at least, in terms of looks, it's hard to find the first-generation SC boring in any way. It was a truly beautiful coupe inside and out, and the SC300 I can remember test-driving had noticeably quicker steering response than even the IS300 sedan I myself owned at the time.

At 97,000 miles, the major engine and drivetrain components aren't likely to be worn out (unless they have had lousy or neglected service). But, with a car some 22 years old (and counting), you could (?) be looking at replacing a number of parts made from rubber, vinyl, insulation, weatherstripping, fan belts, hoses, etc.......they deteriorate with age. Depending on the driving and road/climate conditions, it may (?) also have rust underneath and hidden inside some body panels. It's also possible that some seals and gaskets in the engine. transmission, and driveline might need replacing. So, if you decide to buy the car, keep some money set aside in the bank for any needed repairs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-16-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-16-17, 03:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If its perfect, I'd buy it and store it some place. Easy money maker down the road as long as no extra miles or modifications to it. It won't likely ever do what a SLS Mercedes does but give it time.
Old 04-16-17, 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I still love the 1st gen SC400, and the V8 seems to run forever. Re: the radio, I have seen retrofits with great components that can accommodate iPods, etc. You should be able to replace that at an auto stereo store. Still a stunningly beautiful car with lots of love for it.
Old 04-16-17, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

love the sc400 except the crazy hand brake that sticks up in the air.
Old 04-16-17, 09:39 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Where did this car come from, and has it ever been driven during the winter where they dump salt on the roads??? If it is zero rust, 100% original paint(no bs repaints, no fading, flaking clear coat, etc), no accidents, never driven in winter, all the lights/buttons on the dash work, perfect interior type of car, $3700 sounds like a great deal. Fixing the A/C could be expensive if the compressor is siezed. I had the original R12 freon leak out of my SC300, it was about $200 to convert it to R134a, 2 years later the A/C still works great. Also when was the last time the timing belt was replaced? If the answer is never, you need to immediately replace it, that service is about $1000 and includes replacing the water pump as well.

As for the radio, you might be able to source a used one that works. Of course you can always throw in an aftermarket double din unit, but honestly the stock system sounds great if all the speakers are in good shape. There is a way to mod the stock radio with an aux input, or you can buy one of those Parrott blue-tooth kits to do wireless calls and stream music from your phone that way too.

Personally I wouldn't buy it if I were you, it looks like it might need a little bit of work and you don't sound that interested. However, if you are desperate for cheap transportation and know the history of the car and think its solid mechanically, you can do a lot worse for $3700. Just keep in mind it guzzles premium fuel at the rate of 17 to 19mpg in mixed driving.