Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS vs 560SEL - which is more classic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 01:31 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 400 Likes on 272 Posts
Default LS vs 560SEL - which is more classic?

I read an interesting article a few weeks ago talking about certain large coupes from the mid-to-late 80's that are rising in popularity (Jaguar, MB, etc). It got me looking at some of the old MB coupes and then stumbling on pics of the 560SEL from the same time period.

So here are my questions- in your opinion, what car has aged better- a 1990 LS400 or 1990 560SEL? Which is more "iconic" of its brand? I tried to find 2 similar pictures for easy comparison of the cars (exterior).

I find the new Mercedes sedans to have a look that (in my opinion) will age more gracefully than the upcoming 2018 LS with its harsh lines and angles. But curious how these cars from almost 30 years ago are perceived by others.
Attached Thumbnails LS vs 560SEL - which is more classic?-1990-ls400.jpg   LS vs 560SEL - which is more classic?-1990-560sel.jpg  
Old 03-21-17, 01:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Neither of the two qualifies as classic. The LS has aged much better, but in all fairness its a much newer model, 1990 was just the first year of first gen LS, while the W126 S class was in it's lad few years of production that starter over a decade prior. First gen LS more directly compares to W140 S class.
Old 03-21-17, 01:55 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

OK, fair point- here's a pic of the 1991 S class for those who agree.

Out of curiosity, why don't you think either of them qualify as a classic? Not old enough yet? Maybe a better way to phrase the question is "which design is more classic" or "which design is more timeless"? In essence, which design has held up better over the years? Obviously subjective but that's the point.
Attached Thumbnails LS vs 560SEL - which is more classic?-1991-s-class.jpg  
Old 03-21-17, 02:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Both designs are very elegant and timeless, so its subjective. Personally I think W140 is the best MB design ever, probably the only MB I actually like. I much prefer it to the LS.

That said, they are not old or rare enough just yet to be considered classics.
Old 03-21-17, 04:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

I find it astonishing that there is a recent spat of negative posts regarding the 2018 Lexus LS. I simply do not understand why the 18 LS needs to be mentioned in this thread. Fine, there are people on here that don't like it, but do we have to go on and on about.

With the above said, I think the 1990 Lexus and the 1990 Mercedes are both classics. The LS400 will be forgotten before the Mercedes is.

I think the LS430 will be the most classic Lexus LS in history.
Old 03-21-17, 04:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I prefer the look of the LS400 over either the Benz W140 or W126. I never really have liked the W140, the proportions are kind of off, its too boxy, too tall. The LS400, subtly handsome, isn't a real head turner either, but it was a design revelation compared to all the really crappy boxy cars from the 1980's with funky, ill fitting bumpers. I do like how the LS400 manages to look both wide and low, its a bigger car obviously designed for the American market with Toyota's first V8. When you compare it to something like the narrower late 80's Crown, that was obviously designed with Japanese tax laws in mind(ie its narrower and has a much smaller engine)

Also does any sort of higher end(ie SL convertible, SEL sedan, SEC coupe) 1980's Mercedes remind you of a Miami coke dealer??? Especially if they're white?
Old 03-21-17, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Don't see the LS430 being the most classic Lexus ever, IMHO the most classic Lexus ever is the LS400.

I don't think theres any contest though between these cars, the W140 will be the more desirable classic. I've actually kind of gotten into old MB Sedans....
Old 03-21-17, 07:54 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I find it astonishing that there is a recent spat of negative posts regarding the 2018 Lexus LS. I simply do not understand why the 18 LS needs to be mentioned in this thread. Fine, there are people on here that don't like it, but do we have to go on and on about.

With the above said, I think the 1990 Lexus and the 1990 Mercedes are both classics. The LS400 will be forgotten before the Mercedes is.

I think the LS430 will be the most classic Lexus LS in history.
I have seen a few of your other responses and realize you don't like people talking about the '18 LS (or talking negatively about the design at least). I mentioned it here because as someone who appreciates "classic" or "timeless" designs, I am interested to see 20-30 years from now how the current fleet of all brands will age. I'm not a big fan of the whale shark front design that almost every car manufacturer is using now (although some are getting it right- Kia is doing a nice job, Audi models, and I saw a Jaguar F Pace on the road today which was stunning from all angles).

My intention was to say how I personally think some of the older cars (Jag VanDen Plas, old MB S series, certain LS's) have aged very gracefully- and in my opinion today's models may not age so well.
Old 03-21-17, 08:03 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Don't see the LS430 being the most classic Lexus ever, IMHO the most classic Lexus ever is the LS400.

I don't think theres any contest though between these cars, the W140 will be the more desirable classic. I've actually kind of gotten into old MB Sedans....
I 100% agree on the LS400 being most classic ever in the Lexus sedan lineup. IMO, it just doesn't get any better than the '98 to '00 line. Every once in a while I see a well-preserved one of those driving around and I can't help but admire that look. I had a '96 back in the day and wish I would have sprung for a '98-'00 to get the subtle refreshes in headlight and tail lights.

I also agree that between the old LS and MB I prefer the MB, although I like the model I posted in the first pic (I think they went from '85-'90) over the W140. I have a high end Euro mechanic about a mile from my house where my S5 has spent some time recently (another story) and they have all these mid 80's MB sedans and coupes that are in immaculate condition. Definitely has me thinking about scooping one up when I sell the S5 and having a little something different as a 3rd car. They really are iconic Mercedes design. According to the mechanic, the 560SEC (coupe) is an absolute beast to drive- tons of power.
Old 03-21-17, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I 100% agree on the LS400 being most classic ever in the Lexus sedan lineup. IMO, it just doesn't get any better than the '98 to '00 line. Every once in a while I see a well-preserved one of those driving around and I can't help but admire that look. .
I do the same thing, saw one parked on the street outside a restaurant just today actually.
Old 03-22-17, 08:06 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

My vote is for the MB iconic classic. 90 looks great, but the 91 is really nice. Also agree on the 400 being the most classic Lexus ever. It also doesn't hurt that it was the first LS to be released, so that variable in and of itself places it in a league of its own within the brand.
Old 03-22-17, 08:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

The LS was revolutionary, we should all know it hit 4 targets: quieter, higher top speed, lower cd, better fuel efficiency. Yes, it hit all 4, extremely impressive for 1989.<br /><br />imho that was for the launch of a new brand at a price point that took European mfgs. by surprise. BMW accused Toyota of selling the cars below cost.<br /><br />None of the above is the case today. Lower cd seems to be a goal on the LS, not as much on the other models, but the other 3 are lost.<br /><br />More classic goes to the MB. There are folks here with 3 LS', but I believe it's because they think that they last forever and are relatively cheap today, not because they're collectible cars. my .02
Old 03-22-17, 08:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I have seen a few of your other responses and realize you don't like people talking about the '18 LS (or talking negatively about the design at least). I mentioned it here because as someone who appreciates "classic" or "timeless" designs, I am interested to see 20-30 years from now how the current fleet of all brands will age. I'm not a big fan of the whale shark front design that almost every car manufacturer is using now (although some are getting it right- Kia is doing a nice job, Audi models, and I saw a Jaguar F Pace on the road today which was stunning from all angles).

My intention was to say how I personally think some of the older cars (Jag VanDen Plas, old MB S series, certain LS's) have aged very gracefully- and in my opinion today's models may not age so well.
One of my favorite cars is the 1988 535is. When my wife's cousin's husband fixed up a 635 everywhere he went, people asked him if it's for sale. imho that's what classics do. As far as LS' go, another cousin's husband thought I got a great deal on it for $1400. He missed a 0 at the end.
Old 03-22-17, 08:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 799 Likes on 558 Posts

Am I the only one here that thinks they're all boxy and dated?
Old 03-22-17, 11:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Am I the only one here that thinks they're all boxy and dated?
​​​​​​​X 2

Quick Reply: LS vs 560SEL - which is more classic?