EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Lucid Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21, 04:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

So what were the timeline promises and what has been achieved and or delivered and delayed at this point?
Old 04-22-21, 05:58 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Mustang is associated with Ford. No need for all the extra branding. People know what it is
Right, but they chose to attach the stronger Mustang nameplate to their first EV for a reason. Likely to positively influence reception.
Old 04-22-21, 06:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Wilson2000, Lexus2000, Bob04, please exit this thread.

Again, back to the car not the climate change debate
Reminder of earlier request Lex2K.
Old 04-23-21, 12:21 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
tesla started selling cars over a decade ago. the market isn't the same. and many a well funded startup with a 'smart' person at the helm has failed.

so besides being well funded and smart, what's so great about the lucid CAR? (or supporting ecosystem if they have one)

seems to me more like it will be acquired for patents and a nice factory.
well, unlike fisker, lucid is lead by an engineer not a designer that alone makes a lot of difference. yes the market isn't the same anymore but it's also defined and figured out by musk already and that's where being "smart" comes in, all lucid got to do is follow what tesla had to figure out the hard way and have an easier path to success.

now the risky part is that nobody knows how good lucid actually is since only a few big media got to even sit in their cars and nobody trusts those idiots, we will only know how good it is when independents and youtubers got to try it out themselves. but at $20 a share the potential for big gains is there, think of when tsla was at 20 bucks and how much it is now so the rewards far outweights the risk.
Old 04-23-21, 06:57 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
What will make or break Lucid will be their production ability and supply chain management. That's what bankrupted Fisker. Tesla survived not only because of its tech, but also because of its vertical integration.
FIsker definitely got burned by A123 batteries, but the car itself has a lot of flaws. The UI was pretty terrible from what I've seen, the interior space was very poor for how large it is, and the performance wasn't even very good. The electric and combined (this was a hybrid) range was also not very good. It was a pretty nice looking car though, I saw one at a restaurant where valet had parked it right in front.

It's a shame what happened with lucid, if they had been able to fund their factory earlier they would probably already have a decent number of cars on the road. I think they should have gone after the SUV market instead. The Model X is far more susceptible to competition than the S, and it probably would have helped attract investors. That said I think they will find a niche of people who want performance closer to a Model S, quality and interior closer to an EQS, and value the exclusivity factor. I'd like to see what they have next. Lucid and Rivian seem like the next wave of competent EV start ups. The rest have been mostly junk.

I think the ship has sailed on acquiring these major startups. Mercedes has put enough of their own skin in the game that acquiring someone like lucid doesn't make sense anymore. If Lucid gets in financial trouble maybe we'll see a laggard like Toyota swoop in, but even that window is closer to shutting every day. 10 years ago things were different, almost no OEM was putting money into EV development. Mercedes was a Tesla investor, had a seat on the board, and supplied parts like shifters and steering wheels for the Model S. At that point I think their entire EV strategy was to wait for Tesla to run out of money and acquire them. Obviously didn't work out, but they've invested in themselves and managed to get a home grown EV nearly out the door.
Old 04-24-21, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
all lucid got to do is follow what tesla had to figure out the hard way and have an easier path to success.
'all' huh? well doing the 'same' as what's come before is no guarantee of success. does lucid have more than 1 model? even if has somewhat better range, and maybe if it's somewhat faster, why would ANYONE buy a lucid car over a mercedes EQS if they cost around the same?

what's that other EV brand that's focused on trucks? i think they have a better shot.

we will only know how good it is when independents and youtubers got to try it out themselves.
when is that likely to be? before or after the EQS is already shipping?

but at $20 a share the potential for big gains is there, think of when tsla was at 20 bucks and how much it is now so the rewards far outweights the risk.
share price is meaningless, if it was $200 a share but there were 1/10th shares outstanding it's the same equity. i'd say lucid stock is VERY risky, but i wish you all the best with it, truly!
Old 04-24-21, 11:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'all' huh? well doing the 'same' as what's come before is no guarantee of success. does lucid have more than 1 model? even if has somewhat better range, and maybe if it's somewhat faster, why would ANYONE buy a lucid car over a mercedes EQS if they cost around the same?

what's that other EV brand that's focused on trucks? i think they have a better shot.

when is that likely to be? before or after the EQS is already shipping?

share price is meaningless, if it was $200 a share but there were 1/10th shares outstanding it's the same equity. i'd say lucid stock is VERY risky, but i wish you all the best with it, truly!
Yeah I think Lucid is going to have a very hard time in today's big sedan EV market.

Rivian is the truck EV maker you were referring to - yes I think they have a much better chance as three no competition in that space now
Old 04-24-21, 12:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ah right, thanks Hameed, Rivian - since they already have an order from Amazon for 100,000 trucks (vans) i'd say they're off to a good start.
Old 05-26-21, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

great review...

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/rev...dream-edition/
Old 05-26-21, 09:43 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

It seems like its a very nice car. This is a test drive video from Kyle who has tested every EV you can imagine. The car seems extremely powerful.

Old 05-26-21, 10:17 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,710 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Go Lucid. This is my YOLO stock if it tanks I lose not too much if it rockets I'll be
Old 05-26-21, 12:01 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It seems like its a very nice car. This is a test drive video from Kyle who has tested every EV you can imagine. The car seems extremely powerful.

https://youtu.be/SYK57Mdc4BI
The minimalism and elegance of the interior is stunning!

@bitkahuna So how do you like this minimalist interior? I don't think you're a fan of minimalist interiors but seem to prefer the old school tons of buttons , wood, gauges, screens etc
Old 05-26-21, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Very impressive. I could see myself in this...
Old 05-26-21, 07:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
@bitkahuna So how do you like this minimalist interior? I don't think you're a fan of minimalist interiors but seem to prefer the old school tons of buttons , wood, gauges, screens etc
ha, you've got me wrong there. as i've stated, i love the EQS interior for example. i do prefer having buttons for frequently used things rather than a touch screen which demands more eye/hand time OFF the road/wheel.

this lucid isn't bad it seems but i wouldn't call it 'stunning'. oh and it looks like it has some wood in it.

Old 05-26-21, 07:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Very impressive. I could see myself in this...
it's impressive because it's quiet driving at what, 30mph?

Quick Reply: Lucid Air