Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Volkswagen Atlas

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2018 Volkswagen Atlas

Volkswagen has been selling cars in the United States for 61 years. It's sold quirky cars, small cars, vans, and a few crossovers with odd names. Some are iconic. Some are obscure. A few have been toxic. Except for a few sold during periods of high fuel prices, none of them have ever truly matched the precise needs of American buyers. If the company has its way, that ends now. Meet the 2018 VW Atlas crossover.

This new three-row has room for up to seven passengers, a strong VR6 engine, and available all-wheel drive. Wrapped in boxy styling with prominent wheel arches, big lights front and rear, and lots of masculine lines and creases, it's the most American-centric vehicle VW has ever conceived.

"This is the biggest and boldest Volkswagen we have ever built in the United States, delivering the distinctive design and craftsmanship we're known for, now with room for seven," Hinrich Woebcken, CEO Volkswagen's North America region, said in a statement. "The Atlas marks a brand-new journey for Volkswagen to enter into the heart of the American market."

VW will begin assembling the Atlas in December at its expanded factory in Chattanooga, TN, and it will go on sale next spring. It uses the company's MQB architecture and measures 198.3 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 69.6 inches in height. By comparison, the 2017 Ford Explorer is the same length, 78.9 inches wide, and 70 inches tall. The Explorer, Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander, Chevy Traverse, and Honda Pilot will be its chief rivals.

With those strapping utes as benchmarks and targets, VW went all out to create an SUV that wouldn't be embarrassed. The Atlas offers a 3.6-liter narrow-angle six-cylinder engine rated at 280 horsepower or a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that makes 238 hp. Both come with an eight-speed automatic transmission. Volkswagen's 4Motion all-wheel drive is an option on the six-cylinder model. The AWD system can be configured depending on the driving conditions. Fuel economy ratings were not released.

The third row, arguably the most critical feature of the Atlas, has room for two adults. The seats fold forward on rails, easing entry, exit, and storage. We've sat back there ourselves – next to Woebcken, no less – and it's comfortable and accessible, as advertised. Up front, the driver gets an optional configurable digital cockpit. VW's Car-Net suite includes the App-Connect feature that pairs smartphones with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and MirrorLink technologies, and the most sophisticated Fender audio system the company has ever offered. Safety features include lane-departure warning, adaptive cruise control, forward-collision warning, and parking assist. It also offers a post-collision accident system, which VW says activates the brakes when the airbags go off in a bid to lessen the damage.

The Atlas offers standard LED headlights and daytime running lights, and optional LED taillights. They punch up a design that looks vaguely like those of its competitors, yet still remains true to VW's traditional styling language – there's some Touareg and Tiguan in there.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/27/2...#slide-4250577
Old 10-28-16, 02:56 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i liked the squarish style..................... is this the cheaper version of Q7?
Old 10-28-16, 03:28 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it! But come on! No diesel option offered??!!
Old 10-28-16, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
After the scandal, who would buy the diesel?

In general, though, I like the conservative design inside and out, with the squarish/rectangle theme inside. I'm not a fan of either the jelly-bean look or excessive chisel-angles on some vehicles.
Old 10-28-16, 03:46 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
i liked the squarish style..................... is this the cheaper version of Q7?
Completely different platform. This car rides on MQB with the Golf, which is remarkable given how huge this crossover is.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Is that a joke? VW has no interest in even trying to market diesels here anymore. They're going full steam ahead with electrification. I'd sooner expect a hybrid Atlas in the future.
Old 10-28-16, 06:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick2JZ
Yes, I think you have a point. Here's the latest Q7:

Old 10-28-16, 07:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks like a 3 row grand cherokee.
Old 10-28-16, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like a 3 row grand cherokee.
They both have a nice-looking dash/interior and body style.
Old 10-28-16, 08:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The Atlas and the Q7 are built on different platforms. The Atlas is on the MQB, the transverse engine platform, like the smaller VWs and smaller Audis (A3). The Q7, like all larger Audis, is on the MLB, the longitudinal engine platform. They are 2 completely different vehicles.
Old 10-28-16, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
The Atlas and the Q7 are built on different platforms. The Atlas is on the MQB, the transverse engine platform, like the smaller VWs and smaller Audis (A3). The Q7, like all larger Audis, is on the MLB, the longitudinal engine platform. They are 2 completely different vehicles.
Perhaps so, but their bodies look almost identical.
Old 10-28-16, 10:34 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

from Autoblog: " VW will begin assembling the Atlas in December at its expanded factory in Chattanooga, TN, and it will go on sale next spring. It uses the company's MQB architecture and measures 198.3 inches long, 77.9 inches wide, and 69.6 inches in height. By comparison, the 2017 Ford Explorer is the same length, 78.9 inches wide, and 70 inches tall. The Explorer, Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander, Chevy Traverse, and Honda Pilot will be its chief rivals. "

My choices for 3 row SUV in 2017:

1. Land Rover new Discovery
2. Honda Pilot vs VW Atlas
Old 10-28-16, 10:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was more like a joke but I do think VW makes good diesels though.

But I'm really surprised on VW still making new models after making the huge fine for the scandal.

They soon came out with a brand new model for the US, a very good one at that!
Old 10-29-16, 12:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very disappointing. A dated rendition of the piece of junk Mitsubishi Endeavor (see ugly fenders) and older Jeep Grand Cherokee. Frankestein front is particularly unattractive. At least the dash is clean, but it lost any style from concept to production. The base four cylinder is also underpowered. Maybe all this would have been okay if the vehicle was released ten years ago. But that's today's VW.... take six years to brew a car, release it elsewhere in the world for a few years, then give us the scraps. Yes, I know this hasn't sold anywhere else yet, but it may as well been, it's so dated.

Not off to a good start here at all. This is a hotly contested segment and there is ZERO room for errors. The only thing that will push these off the lot would be low pricing, but I doubt VW would be smart enough to pull that off.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Volkswagen Atlas-mistu-endeavor.jpg  
Old 10-29-16, 02:16 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps so, but their bodies look almost identical.
I couldn't disagree more. The Atlas looks far more SUV-like vs. wagon-like (Q7). The Atlas has a lot of Grand Cherokee type macho features which the Audi has none of.
Old 10-29-16, 02:39 AM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Anyone want to guess fully loaded price might be? The Honda Pilot Elite fully loaded is right under $47,000. Love the gold color. . . . . getting tired of ordinary color.

Quick Reply: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas