Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watch out for deer...it's that time of year again.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Friends used to trailer their touring bike up to the Texas Hill Country NW of Austin (the ride from Houston being an absolute bore) where they'd unload and ride the beautiful Highland Lakes area. About this time of year on a winding road (FM 2769) down to Volente on Lake Travis, they encountered a spike buck who was determined to cross the narrow 2-lane directly in front of them. The deer was in mid-leap when the man caught the little guy who had managed to poke his head between the man's right arm and the tank, but didn't quite knock the bike and now three passengers down. With his wife screaming from the back seat, he managed to hold on until he got the bike stopped . . . but now what do you do? He had a tiger by the tail, with the little guy's sharp horns twisting back and forth as he attempted to escape the headlock my friend had on him. After a few seconds of this, in desperation he simply threw the spike away from him, hoping not to be gored in the process. As the buck staggered backwards he quickly gained his footing and executed a neat jump over the bike and disappeared into the woods at the edge of the road none the worse for wear. He probably wasn't nearly as shaken as my friends who thought for years they'd dodged a very large bullet.

Of course there are things out there a few sizes larger than deer . . . and they demand the right of way . . .
Thanks, Bob. I've been to the Hill Country and Lake Travis, though it was some time ago. From what I remember, armadillos can be a problem for bikers as well...though they tend to come out more at night than during the day. They usually aren't large enough to be a real danger to cars (though they can give the wheels/tires a good thump, and cause some damage). But on a small, exposed motorbike, that's another matter.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 05:31 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I see you are in PA. That state (and adjoining WV) both have huge deer populations...arguably the largest East of the Mississippi.
If you say so; I'm not a hunter, so I really have no basis to say.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.co...ates-for-2015/
Old 10-26-16, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
If you say so; I'm not a hunter, so I really have no basis to say.
The reason I said "arguably" or "maybe" is that it used to be the case in PA and WV, but some other states may be catching up. I'm not a hunter, either, but that is what a number of hunters have told me.
Old 12-05-16, 07:58 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Tagged a big doe with the front end of my 4 mo old 2016 ES tonight So quick that I never even had a chance to brake! Hit the car square in the grill, extending damage to hood, and both fenders. We'll see the $$$ total tomorrow!
Old 12-05-16, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by modad
Tagged a big doe with the front end of my 4 mo old 2016 ES tonight So quick that I never even had a chance to brake! Hit the car square in the grill, extending damage to hood, and both fenders. We'll see the $$$ total tomorrow!
Sorry to hear that. Were you able to drive home, or did you have to be towed? And did the doe survive, or was she killed?......(hope she didn't have some little fawns waiting for her back home). Sometimes local animal shelters can nurse injured deer back to health
Old 12-05-16, 08:30 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry to hear that. Were you able to drive home, or did you have to be towed? And did the doe survive, or was she killed?......(hope she didn't have some little fawns waiting for her back home). Sometimes local animal shelters can nurse injured deer back to health
Yes, the car drove fine but with several warning lights and sounds. I do not know if the deer survived, but she was hit hard full broad-sided and looked like she rolled into the ditch. It was dark and raining and I guess I was in some shock and being only a mile from home, drove directly there without stopping to check on her condition.
Old 12-05-16, 09:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by modad
Yes, the car drove fine but with several warning lights and sounds. I do not know if the deer survived, but she was hit hard full broad-sided and looked like she rolled into the ditch. It was dark and raining and I guess I was in some shock and being only a mile from home, drove directly there without stopping to check on her condition.
When you get a chance, give the radiator a check (always unscrew the cap when it is cool, of course). With a broadside hit like that in front, you may have ruptured it and/or lost some coolant....that, of course, could have triggered one of those warning light (or a hot-running gauge needle). Doing that will also give you a chance to see if the hood alignment has been damaged or sprung...if you can still open and shut it easily.